Poll

Where do you usually set your site?

Start off with a cave and switch to open ground when you can afford it
Start with a cave and keep it
Start open ground and stay open ground
Start open ground and dig under after walls have been set up
Either, I rock at this game

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cave or Open Ground  (Read 1788 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave or Open Ground
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 11:36:11 pm »

I don't know anymore. I need inspiration or something to drive me into building something. I need something which I can not explain. With all that's new in the game, I have no idea what to take with me anymore. Might start hitting Play Now for a while until I can work out what I lack...

I tried starting on Caves so that I could have direct access to the Caverns for a Deep Dwarves Challange (no above ground building, no above ground gathering, no nothing that is Sun hit unless Merchants drag them underground...) But i found that the First Cavern of the Caves were normally Filled with maze's over open ground so that irritated me a little, not to mention the fact that you need to remove the Current resident most of the time to even start playing well...

I would have loved it if the site I found moments ago gave me cliff faces against an Evil looking lake but it didn't so I am gonna look around again (was gonna build a Bridge over the lake which was like 5 or so Embark tiles wide, and ended up being dropped on the side I was going to BUILD towards...)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 11:49:55 pm »

My solution has been and remains a courtyard aboveground, containing farm plots, butchers/tanners, refuse stockpiles, and fortifications for fortress defence, while everything else is below-ground; workshops, housing, storage, everything. I'll probably start moving more of it underground, keeping it to the old "courtyard and curtain walls" paradigm for the most part. Nothing shall be built that is not behind the walls.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:58:40 pm by darthbob88 »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 12:41:43 am »

I found a delightful 15ish tile wide major river with no aquifer, so I've got a beautiful cave entrance looking out over a bridge over the river. Bridge is 16 tiles wide, and I hope to somehow finangle it down to the cavern system for my Depot. Normally, I just build right above the first cavern, living in its ceiling.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 11:34:59 am »

I choose option 6 : Make  a fortress in the air

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 11:35:36 am »

I've taken to river start locations. The topography around them is really sweet. Often, you end up with an enclosed bowl in the middle, only accessible by walking upriver. I wall this off, and then I have a sizeable above ground area, were I build my first workshops. Then, after I've planned the fortress to my OCD's content, I start moving things underground.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 01:24:01 pm »

I don't know anymore. I need inspiration or something to drive me into building something. I need something which I can not explain. With all that's new in the game, I have no idea what to take with me anymore. Might start hitting Play Now for a while until I can work out what I lack...

I hear you. After a major version boost I get into a listless phase, constantly starting and abandoning fortresses until I've come to understand the dynamics better. I had no clue about the utility and horror of the caverns until I breached one and watched as a string of Legendary Creatures sent my fortress into a catastrophic emo-death cycle straight out of Black Plague Europe. Shudder. At any rate, the caverns certainly guarantee that it's more difficult to look at the underground as nothing more than a quarry.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 04:39:43 pm »

With my last two forts (and probably next few) I start building in a narrow valley in a mountain-face. I build a large 3z-level thick 2z-level high wall across the mouth of the valley, with gatehouses for my military at either side of the single drawbridge leading in. The rest of my fort is build up along the sides of the (heavily modified) valley walls in tiers. My dinning hall is usually high up the mountain side with windows that overlook the whole valley.

(All of it is wooden block constructs, with stone only being used as foundation for big buildings or for forges ect.)

Based on the human challenge, but more of a hilldwarf thing.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons
Pages: 1 [2]