Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No water source - not a single drop  (Read 812 times)

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No water source - not a single drop
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:02:02 am »

Okay so I chose my embark site because it had a volcano and I could see flux from my site chooser.  I thought I would be making myself easier until I realized there was no water.  That's okay, I thought.  I'll just get an above ground farm running and brew all my drinks.  Now I have an injured dwarf.  It's pretty minor and he should heal up fine....except he needs water to drink.  I didn't think about this 3 years ago. 

Is there any way to get him something to drink, or is he destined to die?

On further inspection, his injury does not appear to be so minor.  He is missing his right upper leg.....I'm guessing he is carrying his lower leg around with him.

In either case, it seems like this might be a great concern as my fort matures if I'm not able to obtain any water for injured dwarves.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No water source - not a single drop
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:08:21 am »

Is this in the new version?  caverns usually have water.

DIG DEEP

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:08 am »

Duh.  I can't believe I didn't think of that.  I'll let this guy die and when my arsenal dwarf finally gets off his lazy ass and approves my equipment changes I'll head on down.  I could use the mushroom logs anyways.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:40:58 am »

Just wait, the caverns will all be bone dry and have no fungus life of any sort. XD
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:42:46 am »

Ahaha.  I hope not :p

At least it would be a lot of fun if it does end up that way...

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »

Is there any way to get him something to drink, or is he destined to die?
In either case, it seems like this might be a great concern as my fort matures if I'm not able to obtain any water for injured dwarves.

Yup, he's destined to die. Right now I'm playing a fort that has no water AND no trees. I've had to do things I'm not proud of that are hilarious. You can even read about it all here: http://dfstories.com/?cat=3

Something I noticed recently, though, is that as long as they're still alive, even if they're dehydrated, dwarves can heal from serious injuries when the season changes. Your dwarf may yet recover.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0