Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why you shouldn't pump magma up 140 z levels  (Read 9588 times)

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why you shouldn't pump magma up 140 z levels
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 06:29:02 pm »

By the time I was done, the fort was really at a crawl.  I'm running on a Q6600, and my 220 dwarf fort was running at about 6 FPS

Would the simple solution not be to cull 200 useless dwarves? i mean, you only need one to pull the lever to start it.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:52 pm »

I wonder if a double-helix pump stack like this could work:
Code: [Select]
0:
X......X
.######.
.#_>>.#.
....###.
.###....
.#.<<_#.
.######.
X......X

-1:
X......X
.###.##.
.#.#._#.
.#^#.v#.
.#^.#v#.
.#_.#.#.
.##.###.
X......X

(repeat as needed)
I'm just not sure about where to put the power transfer.
Maybe put a gear at the exit of each pump and also at the level above? So the power actually gets transferred the same path as the liquid.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2010, 06:46:56 am »

I'm just not sure about where to put the power transfer.
Maybe put a gear at the exit of each pump and also at the level above? So the power actually gets transferred the same path as the liquid.
While that's space-efficient, that requires submerging half the gears.  I find that getting magma-safe mechanisms is a PITA, since you can only indirectly influence what material the mechanic uses.

Instead, cut a hole above the output half of each pump, and put a gear above it.  Then put a gear adjacent to the input of the next pump.

Double helix:
##.###  ######
#_>>.#  #.#*_#
#**###  #^#*v.
###**#  .^*#v#
#.<<_#  #_*#.#
###.##  ######

Single helix:
##.###  ######  ######  ######
#_>>.#  ###*_#  ######  #.####
#**###  ###*v.  ######  #^####
######  ####v#  ###**#  .^*###
######  ####.#  #.<<_#  #_*###
######  ######  ###.##  ######
Alternately, you could hang the gear above the open space, since the adjacent gear will keep it suspended.  That introduces an additional build-order requirement though: pump, output gear, input gear.

- Gus

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 06:38:54 pm »

A lot more rocks are magma-safe now, so it's a lot easier to get mag-safe mechanisms.  I like the purity of the helix with gears in the flow area so that there's almost no excess digging.  But you lose some parallelism.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:07 pm »

One extra tile and one extra channel per pump doesn't seem like a lot, and it seems like it makes it easier to correct mistakes.  Like, say, making an error with one gear as to whether it's magma safe or not.

- Gus

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:37 pm »

How can I make this much more complicated than it needs to be? I know!

####o### ###+o### ###+o### ####*###
####+### ###+#### ###+#### ####|###
##.#+### ###+#### ###+#+## ##+<%.##
*=%<>### o++>++++ o+++#^## o###<###
##v#+++o ###<###o ###><%=* ++++>++o
##+#+### ##.%>+## ####+.## ####+###
####+### ###|#### ####+### ####+###
###o+### ###*#### ####o### ####o###

####*###  shaft top (rotate for preference of pumping direction)
####|###
####|###
*===*###
###**==*
###|####
##.%>+++
########

needlessly complicated? you betcha!

bonus complications? you can run each face of the rig one at a time in sequence, cutting power requirements by 1/4 at the cost of much slower magma pumping.

construction issues: the pumps have to be built before the vertical power shafts and the power shafts have to be built a section at a time to prevent collapse... OTOH, you can order all the pumps at once, then you can order all the gears at once, and then you can order 2/3 of the vertical shafts at once, and then you can order the final 1/3 of vertical shafts in a final pass.

the center area can be carved into a spiral of ramps or staircases for maintainance with branching corridors allowing access to the vertical power shafts
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »

One extra tile and one extra channel per pump doesn't seem like a lot, and it seems like it makes it easier to correct mistakes.  Like, say, making an error with one gear as to whether it's magma safe or not.
That's half the fun :P

I was going to try some of this out, but my miner ran into semi-molten rock at z-60 already (no magma yet, strangely).

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »

That's half the fun :P

I was going to try some of this out, but my miner ran into semi-molten rock at z-60 already (no magma yet, strangely).
In my experience, unless you're lucky enough to find a part of the magma sea with open space above the magma, you WILL need to channel into warm stone. Usually I just bust in somewhere, take not of a safe place to channel into, and safe scum. Cheap, but sometimes there's no other way.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »

There are multiple reasons why your FPS dropped, and it isnt because of the pumps.

The powerplants which you created (assuming you used perpetual motion) use up alot of cpu power as well because of the amount of flow that is occurring with the water as it bounces off the walls and gets sucked back into it self.

I did a Pump stack for about 60 levels one ontop of the other, and i have found if you do 3-5 pumps at a time, you will be able to build your pumps with out too much hassle (I know what it is like to have multiple pumps break apart, leaving their parts behind blocking the way of trying to make new pumps again).

Solution: Volcano!
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 04:46:19 am »

But a pump stack is the only option if you want to flood the world with magma.

Not really, if youre lucky you can generate a few worlds with some nice high Volcano pipes. Such as (Shameless Plug)Sure theyre not as common anymore but they still happen. The only thing I don't like about magma pipes now is that they dont variate in diameter anymore.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 07:15:19 am »

The powerplants which you created (assuming you used perpetual motion) use up alot of cpu power as well because of the amount of flow that is occurring with the water as it bounces off the walls and gets sucked back into it self.
Except that the powerplants were running full-tilt long before I activated the pumps.  Turn the pump stack on: drop to less than 1 FPS.  Turn it back off ~6 FPS.  While the power plants may have contributed to the drop to 6 FPS, it was the pump stack and the pump stack alone which brought my machine to its knees.

- Gus

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 03:53:33 pm »

For my pump stack I went with a design like this:

██████
█·÷÷,█
██║███
 █☼o█
 ████

██████
█·÷÷,█
███║██
 █o☼█
 ████

Not the most efficient, but it is fairly compact while still keeping the pumps on solid ground.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:05:27 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 07:23:31 am »

and then pump it up another 20 ELVES to a second reservoir, etc.

FIXED.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 05:47:28 am »

Well, what for do you need a constant magma flow anyways ? Magma smelters and traps don't need much magma, you can farm obsidan at lower levels - much simpler then building 100-level pump stack.
So just turn the pumps off when you don't need 'em. Be smart, use cisterns. Not much of a problem.

Because I want a magma pressure trap of DOOM.
Pages: 1 2 [3]