Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with new fort  (Read 834 times)

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with new fort
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:51:10 am »

So, I've finally registered here after all those time.
New version and all.

I generated a custom world (crossover between large island and large region) and I've been disappointed by the search function that always crashes on the same tile. (I've created several similar worlds, it always picks a random tile of the world and crashes there.)
So, Now I've found a relatively perfect embark site for an easy start, I've missunderstood the "embark points" in world creation, so I had 200 extra.

First important question:

Has the chance for valuable ores been changed in the new version?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's a little sad that I didn't start with a professional miner, and have to dig around them.

Second:
I started with a single Ambusher, which also has a level of herbalist, animal dissector, animal caretaker, archer and marksdwarf, and I guess the latter was a mistake.
On embark, he dropped all his equipment and only does hauling jobs, he refuses to hunt or do anything else useful.
Theres plenty of targets, though.
Is there a current way to get rid of this behavior, like, change the requirement for the first marksdwarf level?

Third:
I take it theres no conveyor bands so far?
So, I'd like to know, will pressurized water be able to move things, and will they take damage in the process?

Fourth:
One of the Biomes was said to be woodland, not heavily forested, but it contains so many trees I could build a fortress of them.
Is this any adviseable?

Fifth, regarding second:
Could I make my ambusher a marksdwarf and just order a killorder for those poor beings I want my dwarfs to eat?

Sixth:
How deep on average do I need to dig to find magma, to process all those ores?
`
Last:
Is it possible to build some sort of support, bridge, or whatever, that allows for a close/retract/collapse/whatever-able bridge with walls?
A retractable tunnel through an underground sea, for example.

Thank you for your patience in reading this, and thanks in advance.

... How long have I been away?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with new fort
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:54:18 am »

1:  Mineral deposits seem to be through the roof right now.  The values for the chance for ores to appear are all set pretty high, and from experimentation, lowering them doesn't seem to help.

2: There are some issues with hunting.  Check the bug tracker http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=76 for possible things to try, but basically:  You need a crossbow, bolts, and a quiver.  You may need to assign the crossbow, ammo, and quiver through the military menu, and you may need to disable and re-enable hunting.

3: "Pressurized" water teleports, and doesn't not push.  Flowing water pushes (i.e. if you have a tile with 7 water that spreads to an adjacent square, it will create a flow that can push).  Afaik, water pushing doesnt do damage.

4:  Not sure what you're asking.

5: I believe you can.

6: Magma depth can vary widely, depending on worldgen parameters, biome, and luck.  If you're on hills/mountains, I'd expect ~60-100Z levels, unless you get lucky and have a lava tube coming up (some people have had them come all the way to the surface without being marked as volcanos).  That said, you are likely to run into lignite or b.coal, and you have trees, so you can make all the fuel you want.

7:  If I'm understanding what you are looking for, no.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 09:41:08 am »

Thanks for the quick reply.
Well, then I guess I'll have to live with the overabundance of minerals.

For the hunting, that guy started with two or three levels of ambusher, so I'm absolutely sure he has everything he needs.
Theres a full suit of leatherarmor and ~37 steel bolts+ a crossbow lying around.

I use Dwarf Therapist to do the working, but so far, that hasn't been a problem.
I reassigned the woodcutting without issues.

@ The water, can I build a Cistern, put an object in front of it, and then flood it to another place down a corridor by opening the floodgate?
Like, a Stone or something equally heavy?

And, an eight question:
How do I store items in a pit, or tunnel, meaning, somewhere "down"?
Can I designate a storage area above empty space to drop it, like I would do with a garbage dump?

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:13:04 am »

Fourth:
One of the Biomes was said to be woodland, not heavily forested, but it contains so many trees I could build a fortress of them.
Is this any adviseable?
Go right ahead. Enemies don't break down walls no matter what the material at the moment, it seems. Or maybe the toughest buildingdestroyers do, I'm not sure. Either way, material isn't all that important, so just go with what's most pletiful and/or most aesthetical.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:07:28 am »

Hi!

While I am a great fan of surface fortresses, I can't recommend creating surface fortresses in 31.03 since blood will spread all over it especially if you have roofs over above ground tiles. Besides being aesthetically questionable, blood will cause clean self jobs which can become quite annoying as they eat away productive time.

Deathworks

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:52:26 am »

Hmm, yeah, I suppose thats true.
I've yet to see the unlimited bloodpool. Maybe I should just channel all enemies into an automated defense system?

Could I prevent that by building a lot of grates in the fortress entrance?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »

Hmm, yeah, I suppose thats true.
I've yet to see the unlimited bloodpool. Maybe I should just channel all enemies into an automated defense system?

Could I prevent that by building a lot of grates in the fortress entrance?

Maybe if you dump a waterfall across the entrance, with floorgrates to allow walking through the waterfall.

Also, wouldn't disabling the cleaning labor help with the cancellation spam?  Your fortress would look gory as hell, but still run.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:05:27 pm »

Maybe I should start out with trap spam.
The automatic washing machine is an awesome idea, I totally want to automate my fortress anyways.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:34:00 pm »

Hi!

Grates by themselves will not do anything about the blood.

Mind you, it is not spam or any problem of that kind. It is just that your dwarves are regularly busy cleaning themselves, so there is less time for each dwarf to do productive work. If you have enough dwarves, this may not be a big problem, but if you are going to the limit, that can be annoying.

"Clean self" is unrelated to "Clean" and is an automatic feature of all living things - your dwarves will do it, your pets will do it, and people reported even invaders doing it. And there is no way of preventing it.

Basically, there are two things that can help you against the blood:
1. Water: While it will not destroy blood as far as I know, it can move it away. Also note that rain drops will destroy all blood in the tile they hit, so embarking in a location with lots of rain should help keep your surface clean.
2. Underground: Idle dwarves (and notoriously expedition leaders who should meet their liaison) who have the clean job enabled will sometimes (often if it is the expedition leader mentioned above >:( ) go and clean an underground tile. That cleaning will remove all blood in that tile and the adjacent 8 tiles (3x3 area with the target tile in its center). So, in order to subdue the blood, you should try to have the places where blood is spilled underground: weapon traps, stonefall traps, and the butcher shop are all places that can and will generate blood. If you have idle dwarves around, you may be able to keep the blood in check.

Deathworks

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:42 pm »

walls never ever get destroyed by enemies
only deconing the walls and doing a cave in can destroy them

for th blood problem, use the DF hack that cleans all the pools and smears (not sure if it removes the coverings)

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:40 pm »

Looks like highly valuable materials attract a lot of immigrants, without any fortress in place.
No caravan yet, it's late autumn, but two waves of immigrants already, bringing my total population to 15.
And a red zircon throne worth 48k. Well, I guess thats something, those gems are everywhere, I could build my fortress out of massive gold by now, and I haven't even digged a single bedroom so far, only storage space.
I cheer everytime I discover a new non-valuable material.^^
If I build a small waterfall in the entrance, will that hurt my dwarves?

Also tried to implement a few mod buildings, like the crematory, but guess I'll have to generate a new world then, and I would be giving up on this awesome, yet annoying, dig site.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:25:02 pm by UnLimiTeD »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »

- your dwarves will do it, your pets will do it, and people reported even invaders doing it. And there is no way of preventing it.
Gobbo McInvader cancels Clean Self: Only making it worse.

...After having both hands chopped off in battle. :D
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:27 pm »

- your dwarves will do it, your pets will do it, and people reported even invaders doing it. And there is no way of preventing it.
Gobbo McInvader cancels Clean Self: Only making it worse.

...After having both hands chopped off in battle. :D
Gobbo McInvader cancels Clean Self: Item inaccessible
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.