Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Floors  (Read 851 times)

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
Ice Floors
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:34:05 am »

I just learned something and looking around in the forums I don't see any mention of it, so here goes.  Constructed ice floors will melt when exposed to magma.  I just pumped magma up like 122 stories from the magma sea onto the tundra over my latest fortress.  There are a few little sections of floor that I had paved over with ice about 25 years prior, when I first dug out the first level (because they were just frozen ponds and the wall/floor thing with ice left them exposed), a fix to shield goblin eyes from the first layer of my fort.  Anyway, just uh, look out for that so you don't flood your arctic forts with magma and stuff.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Floors
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:35:57 am »

does magma melt ice walls below it?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:46:51 am »

Dunno, didn't test it.  I'm just putting some orthoclase walls in underneath the remaining floors so that my fortress doesn't get flooded when they melt.

EDIT: Aw, hell.  I'm gonna go ahead and stop the pumps, open the gates and construct some ice block walls just because I want to know.  More as it develops.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:01:45 am by Spike GT »

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 06:02:10 am »

Time for science!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:08:20 am »

Yea supposedly ice is hardcoded to melt even as a construction, due to it being the primary ore of water and all.  Thats why its so buggy and strange in general. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:10:44 am »

do not visit a glacier fort in adventure mode. You bring the warm weather with you when you reach its map edge. Very strange.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:17:00 am »

Well, the totally-immersed rough ice block pillar is not melting, and neither is the one that is simply surrounded but not covered that I built further afield.  I also went ahead and built a rough ice block ramp, and it's holding too.  I guess it's just floors, then?  Didn't test with fortifications, though...wish I had for the sake of thoroughness, but I don't think it matters much either way.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:18:54 am »

Well, the totally-immersed rough ice block pillar is not melting, and neither is the one that is simply surrounded but not covered that I built further afield.  I also went ahead and built a rough ice block ramp, and it's holding too.  I guess it's just floors, then?  Didn't test with fortifications, though...wish I had for the sake of thoroughness, but I don't think it matters much either way.

Thank you! Now I Know! You have furthered Dwarven Science!
[/quote]

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »

I constructed some ice fortifications that melted when my river and lake thawed. At first, I thought that they were just submerged by the river, but they weren't listed as existing when I moved the cursor over their former location.

So that's:

Floors - melt
Fortifications - melt
Constructed walls - don't melt
Ramps - don't melt

At a guess, stairs will hold firm as well.

Natural ice walls are, of course, the farmers' best friend.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 12:32:24 pm »

Oh.
That's interesting. It only melts the ones it can sit directly on in the same tile as the construction itself.

Except, oddly, for the stairs and ramps.

Didn't know magma had a preference for the stuff it melts...
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.