Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depot Accessability Madness  (Read 644 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Depot Accessability Madness
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:56:15 am »

I've got two depots built in similar positions, one is accessible and one is not.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What is going on here? I tried digging around the western depot but it still reads as inaccessible.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Depot Accessability Madness
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:12:23 am »

What version are you playing?

This could be one instance of the pathfinding bug, though never seen it this way. Try locking an unlocking door or saving / reloading to see if the problem vanishes.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:29:01 am »

I read somewhere that having two depots causes problems (the wiki perhaps?). In any case as far as I know only one will ever be used at a time. I think I've heard of people having two on map - normally with one as an elf trap, but I don't know what issues there might be, or what you have to bear in mind for that to work. So, I'd say just use one.

That said I could well be wrong; I often am.

Why are you using two anyway? Just for the aesthetics?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:12:02 am »

I read somewhere that having two depots causes problems (the wiki perhaps?). In any case as far as I know only one will ever be used at a time. I think I've heard of people having two on map - normally with one as an elf trap, but I don't know what issues there might be, or what you have to bear in mind for that to work. So, I'd say just use one.

THe problem, as far as I know, coming from two depots is that part of the caravan could end up in one and rest of it to other depot. As the caravan is spread in two or more depots, the game thinks the caravan has never arrived, and trading is not possible
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:23:46 pm »

Still, worth checking -- blow apart the 'good' depot, is the other one now accessible?
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:04:21 pm »

What version are you playing?

This could be one instance of the pathfinding bug, though never seen it this way. Try locking an unlocking door or saving / reloading to see if the problem vanishes.

Tried that, and reloading. No good.

THe problem, as far as I know, coming from two depots is that part of the caravan could end up in one and rest of it to other depot. As the caravan is spread in two or more depots, the game thinks the caravan has never arrived, and trading is not possible

I had a third depot up near the surface and it was listed as accessible, though I had destroyed it as I have these two.

That said I could well be wrong; I often am.

Why are you using two anyway? Just for the aesthetics?

One's going to be set up to a drowning trap, the other stocked with delightfully shiny trading goods.

Still, worth checking -- blow apart the 'good' depot, is the other one now accessible?

As soon as I can get a mason out there I will; there's a large ambush coming. ^^

EDIT: Dismantled the working depot, the other is still not accessible.

EDIT 2: Dismantled both depots and rebuilt them while the terrain said it was okay. Now they're ALL inaccessible. GENTLY CARESS
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:53:20 pm by Foxbyte »
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.