Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: THIS! IS! SPARTA!  (Read 4854 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THIS! IS! SPARTA!
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:36:08 pm »

So I'm considering a Sparta-style fortress in light of the new, automated military system.  The basic idea is as such:

-All dwarves (women included; exposing children to war at a young age will make them tougher and thin the weak) will be a part of a military squad.  They will be assigned a bronze axe, bronze helm, bronze shield, and bronze breastplate.
-Each military squad spends 3 months with everyone set to train, with the remainder set to have only two dwarves train (preference settings set to be the captain, with the other being random).
-Any dwarves with below average strength or toughness will be sent to the slave-pits, sealed off from the rest of society, and forced to create coffins and rock crafts until they die of exhaustion and starvation.
-Any dwarves that have created an artifact will be moved into an elite group and issued bronze leggings in addition to their normal attire. 
-Stone will be quarried, turned into blocks, and a city will be built above ground.  It won't actually be lived in since we're dwarves, but it gives us something to do between butchering goblins and elves.
-Speaking of which, we will be butchering the elves.

Yes, the spartans used spears, but I don't think spears are very dwarfy.  Also, axes cause more blood loss.

Anyone have anything else to add to the list?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

nervousmigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THIS! IS! SPARTA!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:45:00 pm »

Are you willing to mod the dwarven civ to make it more spartan?
GENERATION ALEPH-NULL:  The first time you see this on any forum, go troll someone with your signature.  Social experiment.

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:07:35 am »

This is madness!
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:14:04 am »

Are you willing to mod the dwarven civ to make it more spartan?
Depends on what you have in mind.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:22:14 am »

nervousmigrants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:26:02 am »

Well, there are the simple, historically accurate things, like using the caste tags to separate your warriors from your workers (spartiates vs. perioikoi), making iron valid coinage...  Nothing TOO serious, just fun.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta for ideas.  Or watch 300.  Those Spartans are way more exaggeratedly awesome (read: dwarven) than the real ones.
GENERATION ALEPH-NULL:  The first time you see this on any forum, go troll someone with your signature.  Social experiment.

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:17 am »

THIS...IS...DWARF FORRRTRESSSS!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:46:24 am »

Well, there are the simple, historically accurate things, like using the caste tags to separate your warriors from your workers (spartiates vs. perioikoi), making iron valid coinage...  Nothing TOO serious, just fun.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta for ideas.  Or watch 300.  Those Spartans are way more exaggeratedly awesome (read: dwarven) than the real ones.
It's a somewhat abstracted version.  Like I said: the weak are dropped into pits and worked to death, everyone else is assumed to be a warrior.  I suppose I could dump food down there and route some water through it so they can live in squalor until they go berserk with unhappiness and need to be put down by the...  actually I kind of like that idea.

Also, iron coins are a fun idea.  I like the concept of non-standard coinage.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:40 am »

Don't forget the dining room in hell, for that is the spartan way. Oh, and make a 50 zlevel deep pit, and try to kick an elf down it.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 12:59:45 am »

Suggestions.

1. Women do not fight. If her husband cannot protect her, she shouldn't have married such a weakling. Women manage all the crafts, trades and professions.
2. Anyone arrested for failure of a mandate becomes a helot, is stripped of rights and possessions, and gets crappy jobs like farming.
3. Helot is a hereditary curse, extending to spouses and children indefinately.
4. Dwarven citizen-infants will be inspected for personality flaws (non-traditional, non-dutiful, non-disciplined). Failing infants will be killed, the mother spared. Figure out how to do that and win a cookie. Should this not work, they become helots.
5. All male, unmarried dwarven citizens are part-time marksdwarves, hunters, woodcutters or miners. Excluding emergencies, these troops are preserved if possible.
6. All male, married dwarven citizens with at least one non-flawed son become full time infantry with bronze armor and an iron or steel spear. These troops must be presented for noble and manly combat with sieging foes.
7. All male, crippled or invalid citizens get life pensions training recruits, occupying office jobs or just impregnating their wives.
8. Nobles must be obeyed and protected.
9. Elves must not be trusted.
10. No matter the social crisis, tradition must be upheld.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 01:06:10 am »

Don't forget the dining room in hell, for that is the spartan way. Oh, and make a 50 zlevel deep pit, and try to kick an elf down it.
You know, having the gigantic kicking pit may be the sole reason to build the city above ground.

Suggestions.
Suggestions.

1. Women do not fight. If her husband cannot protect her, she shouldn't have married such a weakling. Women manage all the crafts, trades and professions.
2. Anyone arrested for failure of a mandate becomes a helot, is stripped of rights and possessions, and gets crappy jobs like farming.
3. Helot is a hereditary curse, extending to spouses and children indefinately.
4. Dwarven citizen-infants will be inspected for personality flaws (non-traditional, non-dutiful, non-disciplined). Failing infants will be killed, the mother spared. Figure out how to do that and win a cookie. Should this not work, they become helots.
5. All male, unmarried dwarven citizens are part-time marksdwarves, hunters, woodcutters or miners. Excluding emergencies, these troops are preserved if possible.
6. All male, married dwarven citizens with at least one non-flawed son become full time infantry with bronze armor and an iron or steel spear. These troops must be presented for noble and manly combat with sieging foes.
7. All male, crippled or invalid citizens get life pensions training recruits, occupying office jobs or just impregnating their wives.
8. Nobles must be obeyed and protected.
9. Elves must not be trusted.
10. No matter the social crisis, tradition must be upheld.
A lot of these ideas would severely limit the military pool...  in the real Sparta where you're talking a scale of thousands it works, but when you're dealing with 100 or fewer dwarves, you can't be quite so picky about not allowing able-bodied women, unmarried men, and childless men to fight.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 01:10:16 am »

Which is why your military would nessiciarly be incredible badasses.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 01:20:07 am »

Which is why your military would nessiciarly be incredible badasses.
Why have five incredible badasses when you can have 30?

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 01:36:27 am »

Why have 30 badass units when you can have..300!!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 01:45:37 am »

Why have 30 badass units when you can have..300!!
Because that would result in fps death :(

Pages: [1] 2 3 4