Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Spoilers)I have a serious immigration problem...  (Read 1966 times)

j8stereo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
(Spoilers)I have a serious immigration problem...
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »

...in that I don't have enough.

I started up a fortress with the intent of damming a huge waterfall and building a tower in the middle of the lake. Nothing much happened in the first year except wholesale elephant massacre. [spoiler]Around the second year, two things happen: I find fun minerals and stockpile them away, and [spoiler] goblins invade and kill the human and then, while I'm locked inside, elven traders. At this point I've had two small immigration waves resulting in exactly one screen of dwarves. From the second year onwards, not a single dwarven caravan shows up, nor do any new migrants.

To try and fix the problem, I dedicated one dwarf to stein-making and another to statue-carving. I would load traders up with tons of profit. But no dwarf traders, so no migrants.

There has been lots of death at my fort, if that counts, but none of it dwarven. A few screens of elephants, about a screen of goblins, half a screen of elves that invaded, half a screen of various merchant related deaths, and about a screen of various other things that wandered into the artifact weapon trap.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas to increase my immigration rate?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:06:11 am by j8stereo »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Spoilers)I have a serious immigration problem...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:11:10 pm »

Your dwarven parent civilization has been killed off, there's not much you can do. Make lots of babies.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:12:50 pm »

My advice is to slow down, if you hit adamantine on your second year you dug too deep too fast.  :P

Based on my experience, the best thing you can do to get immigrants is pump out a few crafts to buy cool stuff and ensure that you have a good well-rounded stock of stuff for strange moods because artifacts are the main source of early-game created wealth (which is what drives immigration it seems).  Also I've heard the caravans may stop if you hit adamantine because you're now the dwarf civ's capital..

And if goblins are a problem, either spam loads of cage traps or disable invaders in the init--it's a single player game so there's no shame in toning things down to suit your needs.  Besides, military is fubar right now so even a lot of veterans are going it as easy-mode as possible until it's sorted.

j8stereo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:18:02 pm »

I've made all my artifacts, I got an axe, a mechanism, a necklace, and a hatch cover. This is in 5ish years of 20 dwarves.

Also, I found a decent way around the goblins. The main entrance to my fort is a tunnel that runs underneath a major river and then runs along a cliff face behind its waterfall. I have a trap that raises bridges behind invading forces and drops the river on them; this same mechanism will fill the lake in the future.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:14 pm »

Ues [] instead of <> in your spoiler tags.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:22:57 pm »

My advice is to slow down, if you hit adamantine on your second year you dug too deep too fast.  :P

In the 40d I'd have agreed, but I find it hard not to find adamantine in 0.31 if you're looking for magma.

j8stereo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:20 am »

Yeah, it was a very shallow map. I found my first cave, then 5 mining squares later found fun.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:11:30 am »

hit c, and look at the leaders screen for your civ. If its empty, thats your issue

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 11:25:37 am »

Is it common to embark on areas with waterfalls? I find that intensely interesting.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:31:20 am »

To get your population up, first wall off the outside world so you won't lose dwarves to goblins.

Then create a tiny 1x1 meeting zone. Leave most of your population idle so they can socialize with each other. Just do farming and give them a well to drink from, and let the game run for several years. By then you should have loads of married dwarves and they should start popping out little bearded babies.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 12:35:14 pm »

If you want usable workers, may want to modify your child and baby age tags to one, or just removing them to get full grown dwarves.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.