Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Buildings, workshops, etc mod.  (Read 2543 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: New Buildings, workshops, etc mod.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 01:24:41 pm »

The problem is that drawbridges and creatures throw in random directions :). A random teleporter would work: just build a tower with a drawbridge atop of it, and fling creatures. It's a one-way travel to hell though.

and I never did understand how to "pit" things correctly.
Assign a pit/pond, assign creatures to it: voila! If it's more than 1 z-level drop, put a water under it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »

Don't creatures throw each other in fight?
Could you like build something that just constantly throws everything on to of it one tile in a specified reaction if supplied 5 power?
You would need an enormous amount of gears and axles for that, and a really big Reactor, but you could build a spaced out fortress with quick transportation by having a storage area on the first tile.
So far I'm trying to solve it by having automated water-cannons that project an item through a corridor when placed on a pressure plate.^^

Lol, I'd be happy if you proved Deon and I wrong, but I dunno. Best of luck. There used to be "magic" mods with healing, mood enhancements, and even teleporting statues. Not sure if it worked right or was buggy as hell though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:29:20 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 01:26:20 pm »

Assign a pit/pond, assign creatures to it: voila! If it's more than 1 z-level drop, put a water under it.

I'll have to try that. How can I determine which item is "pitted?"

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 01:47:59 pm »

That's the problem honestly. There's no indication if a creature is pitted or not, so I just assign all I need. If it's already in the pit, they won't pit it again if they have no direct access (forbid doors to the pit).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

You could script in workshops to turn things into ballista bolts and back again and use ballistas to move them long distances (using a z-level drop so they don't suffer existence failure). Trains your seige engineers/operators and gets things moved long distances in a hurry.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 07:26:14 pm »

lol awesome idea!  I don't think you could preserve the quality of the items though.  even if you used the GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT matgloss.

So if you decided to transform an artifact mica ring in this fashion, you would end up with a no quality mica ring on the other end.  I could easily be wrong if someone wants to correct me.

>>   [PROFESSION_NAME:SIEGE_OPERATOR:mail man:mail men]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:28:43 pm by derigo »

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 07:32:22 pm »

Can't you just make the "ballista" to accept and shoot specific materials? A special siege weapon with shorter range that will only fire stones or metal ores or whatever seems like a decent enough idea^^.

Btw. is this thread actually meant as as a start for a 'pure building' addon?
Totally would want that.

... How long have I been away?

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 07:33:36 pm »

There's no way to make custom siege engines (that we're aware of), and the original is hardcoded and thus uneditable. All you can play with is the ammo.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »

Hum, possible issues:

Noise.

Do Custom Workshops like theaters make noise when used that will wake a Dwarf up or give an unhappy thought? I build bedrooms around dining halls. The idea of dinner theater is just too good to pass up.

Will the theater piss off the dwarves?

Please don't quote me.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 10:55:01 am »

Sausage making!
prepared intestines + meat + seed(spice)= sausagex2

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 06:48:11 pm »

Just make a mod with all the existing workshops that doesn't kill my pc on world generation with several new civilizations and dozens of critters^^

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 07:49:07 pm »

Just take those files from my mod and use them :P
All building*.txt and reaction_*.txt and add them under permitted reactions and buildings.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »

Just take those files from my mod and use them :P
All building*.txt and reaction_*.txt and add them under permitted reactions and buildings.

I actually have a stripped down version similar to Deon's mod somewhat like this. However, it is probably more based upon other contributors based in other threads like:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53095.30

It is all piecemeal and crap; whereas his is well put together. :P

Please don't quote me.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 03:56:23 am »

Yeah, Deon, thanks for the offer, I totally did that already, but I fail at it. ::)
The Crematory won't produce any Ash, and I fear I have to add an object or material or whatever somewhere and 5 years into a fort I notice something not working. I guess I'm just too much perfectionist to take risks  :D
Even though I've probably got bad rolls last time I crashed on World gen, what with way over 2m events and my RAM full^^

Still thanks :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:59 am »

Well you do not need anything but building_crematorium.txt and reaction_crematorium.txt for it to work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3