Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coins?  (Read 1042 times)

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coins?
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:32 pm »

So i have heard some bad talk about coins...

What's so bad about them?

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
Re: Coins?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »

The problem isn't so much with coins as it is with the dwarven economy(which I believe requires coins). I always leave it turned off though, so I'm not to sure how it works.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Baron Of Hell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:52:10 pm »

The dwarfs will grab the coins they are owed and leave them around on the floor.  They don't seem to use the coins to buy anything, instead they use their accounts. So it kind of makes a mess. I leave the economy on because I don't mind the mess.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:10:31 pm »

I'm eagerly awaiting the invention of pockets. That way my dorfs wouldn't make the place a mess and load the Masterwerks chests and cabinets with their coins, clothes and turtles.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »

In 40d I left economy on as well.
But I never minted any coins(at least after the first fortresses where I observed the mess that coins which are lying everywhere create).
For  your economy  (at its momentary state) coins are absolutely unnecessary.
Your dwarfs will be able to buy things without evena single coin being present at the fort

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:35:36 pm »

Mint coins, but only in a secure vault space. Then lock the coins in the vault. Gives you something nice to pick up in adventures.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:43:43 pm »

Mint coins, but only in a secure vault space. Then lock the coins in the vault. Gives you something nice to pick up in adventures.
In practice, this does not work - dwarves will still claim them, then incessantly spam "<name> cancels Store Owned Item: Item inaccessible" unless you forbid all of the coins. Also, you would need to mint all of your coins prior to the activation of the economy, otherwise your dwarves will claim them immediately after they are minted, resulting in permanent clutter inside your forges (until you deconstruct/rebuild the forges, at which point you'll just have a permanent pile of coins around them).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:06:39 am »

In practice, this does not work - dwarves will still claim them, then incessantly spam "<name> cancels Store Owned Item: Item inaccessible" unless you forbid all of the coins. Also, you would need to mint all of your coins prior to the activation of the economy, otherwise your dwarves will claim them immediately after they are minted, resulting in permanent clutter inside your forges (until you deconstruct/rebuild the forges, at which point you'll just have a permanent pile of coins around them).
But that only applies to gold, silver and copper coins doesn't it? Make coins out of the more exotic metals and nobody will claim them (except when they buy them as collector's items, just like they buy trade goods for themselves) as they don't get used in the economy.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:34 pm »

But that only applies to gold, silver and copper coins doesn't it? Make coins out of the more exotic metals and nobody will claim them (except when they buy them as collector's items, just like they buy trade goods for themselves) as they don't get used in the economy.

I think so: So long as you make the coins out of non-coin metals your dwarves won't spend half their time hauling them.

Each year's coinage has an image on it like an engraving so you can have historical events show up on your coins, which is nice.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:10:20 pm »

I always thought that if you assigned a chest to a dwarf they would store their coins in that chest.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:25:40 pm »

In theory.  In practice, just like old clothes, they leave them friggin' everywhere.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.