Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Shia LeBeouf Promises Better "Transformers Movie" Next Time  (Read 4535 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shia LeBeouf Promises Better "Transformers Movie" Next Time
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:23 pm »

Though Rifftrax is made by the same group, its also their lively hood in part. They make one for nearly every movie that has a theatrical release. Rifftrax for myself is not a metric on a movie quality.

MST3K, is metric to me as they were force to get cheap movies and that meant bad old movies.

I understand this, but they insulted the director for making a bad movie in rather specific ways. Trust me, they do not consider it a competent film.

Showing a moment of awe in location or event reveals isn't really difficult, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about... It's just a case of getting the right lighting, camera angle, and music. The director isn't really responsable for any of that.

And even that only gives you a cookie-cutter very-very-Hollywood sort of soulless "quality". The first movie definitely fell into this pothole when it comes to cinematography/coloration, and pretty damn deep.

I agree that his pacing is not very good. Seriously, the first Transformers is what, two hours and twenty minutes long? I don't have a problem with long films, but if you're going to have an action movie that long, it can't be boring, but it was. It probably doesn't help that I didn't laugh at the pee jokes.

everything Retro said about characters and personality

You're expecting Michael Bay to be able to competently develop, write, and direct characters. This is a mistake, if his first Transformers movie is any indication.

The technical cinematography is very good. The pacing is great, the transitions are good and the scene set up are both interesting and dynamics. He can can show moments of awe in a location reveal or event reveal.

You make it sound like he's actually competent at composing a scene. If he were, he wouldn't have half the characters in it disappearing spontaneously (when it's consequential, no less) or having it switch between day and night between shots. That's amateur hour bullshit.

You make it sound like these are his first movies. He's been directing for 20 years. This seems to be his decline.

I don't get what you mean here. If he's been directing for twenty years, that doesn't exactly justify his incompetence. No director should be making mistakes like that after two decades of directing films.

Speaking of b-movies, I find it amusing that his film The Island ripped of Parts: The Clonus Horror, of all things (they settled for an undisclosed amount of cash moneys), as well as some other movies. Granted, the Clonus ripoff wasn't necessarily Michael Bay's fault; that in itself could have just been screenwriters.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Pathos

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 12:35:05 pm »

What Michael Bay considers a plot:-

MAN FARTS -> DOGS SHAGGING -> ROBOT BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLS -> COCKTEASE SCENE BY MEGAN FOX -> SENTIMENTAL VALUE OF SOME SORT -> GOVERNMENT IS BAD -> MAN FARTS -> DOGS SHAGGING repeat ad nauseum.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:18 pm »

GOVERNMENT IS BAD

As someone with a functioning brain, the government signal analysis scenes in Transformers were really, really, really funny to me. Especially when the obnoxious black guy (sorry, I forget his name) was doing it. It's like he was playing this weird videogame, and it was very amusing how even the signal's spectrographic image (or whatever the hell it was supposed to be) looked like generic Michael Bay Computer Movie Effects.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »

everything Retro said about characters and personality
You're expecting Michael Bay to be able to competently develop, write, and direct characters. This is a mistake, if his first Transformers movie is any indication.

Ah... point. Hadn't considered that he'd still be behind the reins. I'd say 'take everything I said and apply it to a different director' but once you appoint a new director there's no need for advice anymore :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]