Into the Caverns with ye!
HFS sacrifice
Starvation in a Zoo
Spike traps
Ballista/Catapults
Drawbridge Firing
Other(please post)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How do you finish off prisoners?  (Read 4582 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you finish off prisoners?
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 03:59:13 pm »

because cage traps are more effective

msilenus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2010, 05:39:14 pm »

My dwarves have been doing some Science lately, trying to figure out how high gibs can bounce.  (This is pure theoretical research; probably no practical applications.)  First approach involved a 25 Z-level diving board over a roof-top waterless swimming pool.  Test runs with puppies show it working okay, but the most interesting result was that the wind that's providing 40 power/windmill doesn't seem to perturb the trajectory of the test puppies.  Shockingly, I think one test-goblin managed to survive, but I suspect that Urist McCorpsedragger was just on the wrong tile at the wrong time and managed to break his fall.

Built another (solid gold) diving board off to the side that's 27 Z-levels down to a 1x1 hole in the ground, which gradually widens over 10-15 more z-levels to a 1x1 constructed steel floor-plate in a roughly 15x15 chamber.  Added bonus: the bottom level is pure smoothed diorite, and the petrified wood crosshairs on the ground give the chamber a grim aesthetic perfect to the task.  Form and function in perfect harmony. 

Gibs are bouncing at least two, maybe three or more z-levels up.  Doing more hollowing out in some of the z-levels above to give the giblets more freedom to arc, and perhaps reduce experimental error.  Considering trapping the kill-tile, in case that serves to tenderize or "loosen up" the test subject and perhaps yield better results.

One interesting early result was that a test-puppy's head seemingly went shooting off on a diagonal along the round, while the legs did the more parabolic arc the dwarves were expecting.  This has been noted as a possible avenue for future work.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 05:42:14 pm »

of course there are practical applications. The same rules which apply to gibs must apply to living things as well, correct?

roger123275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:01 am »

I am currently investigating methods for giving goblins the plague. Yes, you heard me right. In theory, Fun Beast spit could infect goblins!  :D
It gave me 56 dwarves to reclaim with... I'm hoping the game is just being nice to me...
Good job Roger!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:06 am »

I usually feed them to the scariest monster I own.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:05 am »

Due to over-zealous breeding programmes, I now have 40+ puppies in a cage: in your experience, do they attack/defend themselves? I'd love to dump naked goblin lashers in my dumpster pit against tons of killer puppies; the best part is that then I'd only need to atomsmash the rest as soon as the fun is over!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:30 am »

Cooking Pot.

My entrance looks like this:

#=Wall, B = bridge
####################
BBBBB...................................................XXXXXXXX
BBBBB...................................................XXXXXXXX=channeld out hole with magma under it
####################

Enemy comes in the area, I pull "ZE LEVAR", a bridge 1 z level above the entrance opens, the one in the back closes (making sure my fort doesn't get flooded) and high pressure water shoots out, flushing all enemys into the hole, where they all get cooked by the magma (The magma is 1z level under them, they never touch it, but wet body + magma under you = yummy meet). 

Then I forbid everything, wait a few days until all the flesh stops burning and the water is gone and start fishing out the metal objects.

Good times.

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2010, 09:04:25 am »

i voted "other". I have no interest in prisoners, so i don't ever need to dispose of them.

"Magmafication before prisonization!"  ;)
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2010, 11:36:10 am »

I usually build a tall execution tower over the entrance to my trade depot and when the elf caravan is coming I order prisoners dropped in front of/on the caravan as a greeting.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 07:47:58 pm »

i voted "other". I have no interest in prisoners, so i don't ever need to dispose of them.

"Magmafication before prisonization!"  ;)
Ah, but see, for a brief moment before their immolation, their magma-induced fear holds them more captive than ever an =Alder Cage= could.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:22 pm »

I have an idea Im going to try next... The water elevator... The enemies will come to my fortress on a bridge, and i pull a lever, which then shoots water at them, and then the next level opens. Then they fall again (Most likely all lifeless corpses) And pull the next lever, opening the bridge underneath them and water shooting out slamming them the other direction. Maybe do this across a few z levels (Should kill some forgotten beasts too...)

~# G  G  G ++
++________x++
++         ++
++         #~
++x________++
++         ++
~#         ++
++________x++
++         ++
++         #~
++x________++
++         ++
~#         ++
++________x++

+=Construction
#=Floodgate
~=HIGHLY PRESSURIZED WATER!!!! DANGER
_=Bridge
G=GOBBOS
x=Grates to let water flow away...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:23 pm »

Wow. all you folks are really creative, but... I usually keep mine alive.
In the last version, you didn't need to feed/water them (don't know about now, but Tigermen need water, so likely prisoners do too), so I'd just drop them down tile pits, letting them sit there for all eternity.

Did you know that sieges don't "end" until the last sieger is dead? even if they have no weapons left, and are stuck in a pit?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »

In the last version, you didn't need to feed/water them (don't know about now, but Tigermen need water, so likely prisoners do too), so I'd just drop them down tile pits, letting them sit there for all eternity.

Did you know that sieges don't "end" until the last sieger is dead? even if they have no weapons left, and are stuck in a pit?
Thats no fun then...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

Thats no fun then...

In the new version I'll probably release them into the caves.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »

I'm reclaiming a fortress that I'd intentionally killed with HFS; I think I'll just throw my prisoners down there this time.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]