Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Birth Control  (Read 1085 times)

tailpipe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Birth Control
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:21:50 pm »

Ok out of the 166 people in my fort 61 of those are children...
And their numbers are growing....
I get the announcement that so-and-so has just given birth every 5-10 minutes THIS MUST STOP!

what can I do to stop this? I was thinking about sacrificing them at the top of a temple and throwing them down into a pit but any other way will do.

P.S. how can i throw them into a pit if it is possible.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Control
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:24:21 pm »

Adjust the child population in the .init file.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:08:06 pm »

As has been mentioned the child cap will stop this from happening in the future, if you look at the file it's pretty self explanatory. I ran into the same problem myself before I started using that option. What I did to get rid of my child army was build a drowning chamber full of beds, assigning them to my kids as 1 tile bedrooms, then drowning them when they went to get some sleep. If the economy is enabled you might not be able to directly assign them the rooms (I couldn't in my case), so I just removed all excess bedrooms until they had no choice but to sleep there.

I felt a little dirty afterward, but my 'dwarven nursery' solved the problem at least

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:57:30 pm »

As has been mentioned the child cap will stop this from happening in the future, if you look at the file it's pretty self explanatory. I ran into the same problem myself before I started using that option. What I did to get rid of my child army was build a drowning chamber full of beds, assigning them to my kids as 1 tile bedrooms, then drowning them when they went to get some sleep. If the economy is enabled you might not be able to directly assign them the rooms (I couldn't in my case), so I just removed all excess bedrooms until they had no choice but to sleep there.

I felt a little dirty afterward, but my 'dwarven nursery' solved the problem at least

If it had been a "Dwarven" nursery then you'd have used magma instead. It's also useful for nobles. I may also just put them in a pit, and starve them to death.

For the record, I assume any dwarf that mistakenly wanders into one of my forts is going to die in a year. If they last 6 years, they get treated like I do my founders (who usually have all died except the one who got the lucky draw of book keeper).

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:09 pm »

If it had been a "Dwarven" nursery then you'd have used magma instead.

True; I'm still learning genocide the dwarven way. In my defence, it did mean the beds were reusable  :D

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:57:29 pm »

With dwarfen genocide, you don't even need coffins!  Just dump into magma, or under the bridge!  No more corpses!
igless

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:04:22 am »

Children will still pull levers. Why wait for them to go to bed when you can just build a lever and assign it only to children to pull? Actually, there is good reason: a nursery is more fun to genocide with.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:12:28 am »

Children will still pull levers. Why wait for them to go to bed when you can just build a lever and assign it only to children to pull? Actually, there is good reason: a nursery is more fun to genocide with.

I tried the lever method first, but the stubborn little things refused to play ball. I had levers set to pull on repeat only able to be pulled by one specific child, and levers that any child was able to pull both with no effect. So, in the end I went for a nursery. No bad thing though, since the nursery thing is fun. I did feel like a mix between the child catcher and a fairytale villain for doing it though. I just need to wait for them to go to sleep...

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »

Side question: why don't dwarves (or for that matter other animals) have sex, anyway? Can't be a prude thing, as DF is just about the most graphic game I have ever played. Even in The Sims they "play in bed". I swear, letting dwarves pair up and head off to bed together would open for so many hilarious situations.

A human convoy has arrived.
Urist McBroker cancels Conduct Meeting -- having sex.

Once they do, I can imagine condoms being made out of sheep entrails or whatever to stave off unwanted births. That, and there's always of course the init file ;) .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:09:02 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:50 pm »

The idea of ingame birth control is intriguing.
Urist McBroker cancels Conduct Meeting -- having sex.
Wouldn't that BE "conduct meeting?^^
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:14:19 pm by UnLimiTeD »

... How long have I been away?

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 02:08:37 pm »

Dwarven 'sex' is a misnomer, as Dwarves actually have no genitals whatsoever. Male dwarf beards have specialized spore release follicles which differentiate towards one specific female upon marriage. At any time a dwarf may release these spores which float around the fort until they contact their mate's beard. After a period of time, a full-grown dwarf baby drops out from under the beard, often interrupting the female in the middle of some important task.

As of yet, nobody knows what or how a dwarf embryo (if indeed this is what they are) are formed, as nobody has of yet been able to study the inside of a dwarven beard.

UnLimiTeD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »

So if Marriage is punished by shaving, we will prevent the baby-boom?

... How long have I been away?