Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save folder  (Read 760 times)

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save folder
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:31:36 pm »

Greeting,

I'm new on Dwarf Fortress, I'm playing for about a week now and with the amazingly well-done "The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial for Dwarf Fortress", I begin to understand the ropes of this complex but how interesting game...  begin. By the way: Bravo to its maker.

But I face a problem which tutorials won't help me resolving. I know it's mentionned in the tutorial, but I have problems with saving. Saving does work and I'm able to load games, but they begin to pile up and I'm not able to delete the obsolet ones. I've checked in the data/save folder, although, it's empty.

I'd like to know if there is any other hidden folder containing saves, so I can manage them.

Thank you
Britonix

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Save folder
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:40:32 pm »

If the data/save folder is empty... are you perhaps running DF straight out of the RAR? or running it in a place where windows would be refusing it permission to write files?

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »

I'm not, but to "install" DF, I just opened the .rar and copied eveything. Does that cause any problem?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:15:40 pm »

No, that should work perfectly fine as long as you didn't unrar it to program files or something.
I'm stumped though, I've never had a problem with DF saving, aside from how the saving system can be confusing to some at first.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »

Can you tell me what you have in your save folder?
I might reinstall the game, I won't lose that much.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:44:42 pm »

inside your data/save folder would be more folders, named region1, region2, etc, for your worlds, and if you have seasonal backups enabled, you'll have region1-autumn-1004 etc.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:58:03 pm »

I have these seasonal backups, kind fo save games right? How to deactivate them? I think I'll let them in case it bugs, but just to know.

I'll try reinstalling.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:59:25 pm »

Sounds like you placed it in program files or something like that.

Try checking in C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\, is there a folder named like your normal DF folder in it?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:21 pm »

Yes there is, there is a save folder and it contains saves, but not all, only the one present in the version given with the Tutorial. There is a "current" and a "region1" folder, but it should contain a "region2" since I created a region.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »

All you have to do to fix it is move DF to anywhere but Program Files, and then move over the saves in the VirtualStore Program Files to the real DF folder.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:23:43 pm »

Ok, I did. Now I have saves in the folder. In case I want to delete an old one, what should i delete? Because there is a LOT of stock in each folder (world file I guess).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »

To remove a save, delete the region. Each save saves the entire region. Autosaving saves a copy of it's region with a date If you have backup saves on.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:15 pm »

I removed it from Program Files and it now seems to be working. Thanks for your help.