Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.  (Read 21044 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2010, 12:40:59 am »

The topic at hands is whether or not we should have sex with children.

Let's try to stay focused on that.

ThreeToe has some very strong views about that. I wouldn't even joke about it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2010, 12:46:15 am »

The topic at hands is whether or not we should have sex with children.

Let's try to stay focused on that.

ThreeToe has some very strong views about that. I wouldn't even joke about it.

I think we'd have to define what "children" are before we can start saying if sex with them is "wrong" or not. Because if we count 17 year olds as children and consider all of our high school years, then that might skew things. Theres is also a rather large difference between "Have sex with" and "rape".

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:24 am »

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just that the topic is going to be locked if we actually continue discussing it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51:27 am »

Because if we count 17 year olds as children and consider all of our high school years, then that might skew things

Man, if the FBI ever found out how many times I had sex with 16 and 17 year olds while I was in high school, I will be on the most wanted list so fast. Let's make a pact never to tell anybody.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 17, 2010, 01:07:57 am »

It should be noted that in the US, the federal age of consent is 17, and the average state AoC is 16, with the highest being 18 (in several states), and the lowest 14 (in two, though I don't recall which ones). Most also have exceptions based on closeness of age, to prevent the absurd scenario of an eighteen year old being tried as a rapist for having sex with someone only a few months younger than themself.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:43 am »

Because if we count 17 year olds as children and consider all of our high school years, then that might skew things

Man, if the FBI ever found out how many times I had sex with 16 and 17 year olds while I was in high school, I will be on the most wanted list so fast. Let's make a pact never to tell anybody.
Hope you didn't do it in arizona, they'd arrest both you and the girl and charge you both with a crime and stick you both on the sex offender list. I know, I've seen it happen.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2010, 01:54:51 am »

Hi!

Piecewise: I am not a lawyer or anyone professionally involved with these things, but there are two things that are fundamental for me:

1. Murder and rape are the two crimes that are completely inacceptable in any civilized society. No negotiations, no "good rape" or "not as harmful rape". Rape is rape and is not to be welcomed.

2. I define rape as any sexual interaction where at least one party has not given informed consent: It is rape if one party said "No!" but was forced to. It is rape if one party got drugged and then sexually used. And it is also rape if the party has no means of understanding the nature of the sexual interaction. Thus, by the definition of rape I use, it is reasonable to assume that any sexual interaction with children is rape as a child can not give informed consent to sexual interaction.

I don't care what you do in your mind or write in your fictional stories. But once you even think about doing something of the things described above in real life, I do not consider you a member of civilized humanity anymore.

Deathworks

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:47 am »

posting for watching
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2010, 02:15:33 am »

Smigenboger: After I wrote my last reply, I also thought of something interesting about your comment. You said that fantasy/reality distinction can get thrown out of the window due to alcohol, something I agree with. However, should we then not also worry about the community here. I mean, people on the forums, especially the adventure mode one, openly discuss mass murder, backstabbing, killing people in their sleep, and many, many unpleasant things you should not do in reality. So, I think people do have a lot of confidence in the fantasy vs. reality border here.

This is a great point, and if we could get some others to discuss it, I'd like to. That brings us into what should and should not be censored for our own sake. What I thought right after reading that, is I honestly wouldn't want to kill anyone, and I wouldn't want to shoot anyone, yet it is enjoyable in a video game. My fantasies are generally centered in terra-firma, so arguably, if I were drunk, I would be okay with acting them out, yet I'm just as pacifistic while drunk as I am sober, so I have no intensions of being violent against others no matter what.

So then, what kinds of things would be good in fantasy alone, but wouldn't be good consequence-free in real life? Is there any distinction?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:00 am »

Thus, by the definition of rape I use, it is reasonable to assume that any sexual interaction with children is rape as a child can not give informed consent to sexual interaction.

Yes. The problem is determining when a person can give informed consent. In my country, for example, the legal age of consent is fifteen. I think that's low enough, but I know I've seen several girls that had sex when they were even thirteen years old and I'm pretty sure it wasn't rape. However, in the current state of things there always (regretfully) needs to be a definition given by law, even if it is in most cases absurd and often leads to severe limitations of personal freedom. You see, the shift - the change - from child to adult does not occur immediately upon the day of the n-th birthday (where n is the age of consent). No. It occurs in the span of several years. A more developed (physically older) ten year old could feel some vague sexual desire, but not understand fully what it is and what would actually happen if she followed her desire - thus, she would possibly give consent, but almost nobody would consider it informed consent. On the other hand, if somebody ever found out about one of those friends of mine that had sex at thirteen - even though at least in one case the girl was completely and undeniably informed on what sex entails and not only consented to, but wanted it - by law, her consent wouldn't be considered informed either. But that, I guess, is just the problem with laws in general.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2010, 03:50:43 pm »

I say we stop this line of discussion right now before Threetoe gets called in.

He WILL get called in, and he WILL be pissed. He may not show said pissedness, but he will be. lets move back towards a less NSFW line, although i believe we can hold a discussion about the subject with a calm and polite, and overall mature air, it isnt worth getting the topic locked, as this forum dosent really need to be even vaguely associated with this sort of thing, which i believe is one of the reasons for the quick locking of threads that pertain to subjects such as this.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »

I say we stop this line of discussion right now before Threetoe gets called in.

He WILL get called in, and he WILL be pissed. He may not show said pissedness, but he will be. lets move back towards a less NSFW line, although i believe we can hold a discussion about the subject with a calm and polite, and overall mature air, it isnt worth getting the topic locked, as this forum dosent really need to be even vaguely associated with this sort of thing, which i believe is one of the reasons for the quick locking of threads that pertain to subjects such as this.
Associated with what? The question of when a person should have personal freedom to use their body as they wish? Its not just sex, its consent to surgery, to body art and alteration. There are hundreds of studies and books on this subject, its a valid subject to debate and the fact that it might make some people uncomfortable isn't a good reason to shy away from it. Should we just give up on science because it makes religious people uncomfortable? Should we not provide aid to people in need because it makes other uncomfortable to acknowledge that bad things happen in the world?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Should we not provide aid to people in need

Unless it's money, yes. Sending African kids shoes and food and stuff destroys local business.

I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2010, 04:45:40 pm »

Unless it's money, yes. Sending African kids shoes and food and stuff destroys local business.

... And sending money doesn't cause inflation?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2010, 04:46:35 pm »

Because africa is well known for it's booming small business market.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21