Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.  (Read 21043 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2010, 07:08:37 am »

Generally, the DSM isn't about giving concise definitions, but complete definitions. Some of these things can be harmful, if pushed to huge extremes, but generally aren't. Like S&M. The point to remember is that for these to be diagnosed, they have to cause problems in everyday situations.

That does sound like most things.

Also, a foot fetishist could have an overwhelming urge for feet, so much so that he tries to take people's shoes off? There's an example.
The same is true of ANY sexuality or preference, even ones you'd regard as standard.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2010, 07:18:36 am »

I'm not sure if this has already been said or not, but if the girls weren't exposed to that specific song, would they just as happily dance to something else?

You know, as an extreme example, children love Ring Around the Rosie, because it's fun, not because it's teaching them to lament the horrible deaths of their past ancestors.

I'm sure these kids would love to dance the Time Warp, because it's fun.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2010, 09:27:01 am »

So I just saw the video on the news (all online sources seem to fail me) and I have to say...

This is awful, just absolutely awful. I have significant problems with beauty pageants and the like, where fatass Texan mothers abuse their daughters for the sick pleasure of rotten bastards who are so desensitized to children they have to see them dressed like French whores to be impressed. But this? This is worse, this is the epitome of bad parenthood. No one should be subjected to this. And look at their faces, they are enjoying it. They are perfectly innocent, with no idea of how blatantly sexual and disgusting this whole farce is. If I were a billionaire, this would be the second thing I devote my resources to, behind Powered Armor. Specifically, I would design a robot with the jaws of life for hands, who would violentlysurgically remove the uterus of any woman who does this to their daughter. That way, I can rest knowing they shall never have another child to abuse again. If they survive.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:23 am »

(CJ speaks)

They could adopt?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2010, 11:41:41 am »

They are dancing. Just that. Dancing. The sexual subtext is just in your heads, sickos. (partially trollin')
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2010, 11:50:43 am »

If you are trolling, don't post. Seriously, when did people down here put shit in their ears and decide to be retards?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2010, 11:51:12 am »

(partially trollin')

I'd be careful saying that. Trolling is taken seriously 'round these parts.

And if you look at the girls in those skimpy outfits that I wouldn't trust on an adult, let a lone a child, and combine that with the dance itself, and don't come to the conclusion that the sexualization is intentional, you are one of two things.

1) Raised in an environment so loose about sexual taboos it puts Europe to shame.
2) A fatass Texan mother.  :P
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »

I don't think its right to say that the mothers are responsible for this without knowing that. For all we know these girls wanted to dance so they stole dance moves from hip hop videos without understanding the obvious sexuality in them. I know my grade school talent shows were rife with this sort of thing but rarely was it the parents who were forcing or even choosing the song or dance.

While I'm not saying mothers never do that, I'm just saying its unfair to jump to the conclusion CJ did without evidence.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2010, 10:02:53 pm »

Semantics, indeed. I'm far too tired to reply in any sort of argumenative way, mainly because I think your points are valid and I would have to try to hard to play devil's advocate.

Good show, Zombie.

For the record, I agree with all your points, but enjoy arguing against convention for the sake of learning more about my own psychology through other people explaining theirs.

I think that is one of the few ways you can reliably learn about yourself. Always question why you have a problem with something.

As far as paedophilia goes, it's simply an attraction (sexual) to "children". Obviously, a grandma can perceive a 20 year old as a child and, thus, be a paedophile... This doesn't necessarily imply that the person goes out and has sex with this children, though. Paedophilia is both used to describe an attraction to children as well as molesting or engaging in sexual intercourse with children. I, personally, think this is a problem as some people are sexually turned on by cuteness. If you think a child is cute, then you may find yourself attracted to them for that reason. The problem with older individuals engaging in sexual intercourse with children (assuming that these "children" in question are sexually mature enough to not induce any biological problems with this) is that there is a skew of the power dynamic. It becomes very hard to tell if there is proper consent or forced consent. This can result in the development of psychological disorders as, if the age gap is significant enough, the younger party may come to see the older party as a parental figure. Intercourse with a parental figure is, generally speaking, not psychologically healthy nor biologically healthy as impregnation may result in dangerous mutations if they actually are your biological parent.

Socially speaking, the power dynamic and religion are the main reasons that there is an age limit to sex. Yes, it is arbitrary, but you will realize that it is often tied to the average minimum time people spend in schools. The general idea is that once you are out of high school, you should be equipped to have sex responsibly. Responsibly, in this case, pertains to what religious groups that permeate our culture want it to pertain to. It's a very sticky subject as most people look at it with a highly biased moral eye instead of a critical, logical eye. It really doesn't harm the developmental process to learn about anatomy as early as possible and to learn about sex as soon as you become interested in it. In fact, not being educated makes it more of a mysterious taboo that kids just want to explore as soon as possible.

In an odd, ironic way all of this control over sex is backfiring to make a more sexual society than ever. Maybe we'll go back to the times of the ancient Greeks... We'll all have orgies where we eat ourselves fat, drink ourselves stupid, and screw till we can't stand anymore. Wait a minute... People already do those anyway! Just not all at once! ;P Sometimes I worry about societies that prize morals over what actually works. Morals over truth... Always a sticky topic.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2010, 10:13:15 pm »

I for one welcome the return of lead pipes, mercury make up and the vomitorium

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2010, 10:19:33 pm »

It really doesn't harm the developmental process to learn about anatomy as early as possible and to learn about sex as soon as you become interested in it. In fact, not being educated makes it more of a mysterious taboo that kids just want to explore as soon as possible.

That and the ignorance is bliss option backfires as soon as the kids figure out how to use google images.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

It really doesn't harm the developmental process to learn about anatomy as early as possible and to learn about sex as soon as you become interested in it. In fact, not being educated makes it more of a mysterious taboo that kids just want to explore as soon as possible.

That and the ignorance is bliss option backfires as soon as the kids figure out how to use google images.
I believe the archetypal "catholic schoolgirl" is a perfect example of what happens when you stritly prohibit something before sending someone off into a world where it is both prevalent and accepted.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2010, 11:07:26 pm »

Hey at least their not being forced into prostitution.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »

Quite right. It's also good that they're not being force-fed lava or blown up by the military or made to watch Battlefield earth.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2010, 11:22:40 pm »

But are they learning proper 'they' tenses?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21