Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.  (Read 21033 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 12:01:38 am »

And because mothers feel like their daughters ruined the good parts of their lives, so they live through them and push them too far.

Because it's acceptable for American women to want to exploit their children's childhoods for as much as humanly possible because it is capitalism.

Because everything's to blame on the mothers, right?  And of course the problem is that those moms had baby girls, whereas their lives wouldn't be ruined by boys.

I mean, is that what you're saying?  I'm seriously having trouble figuring out your meaning, here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 12:05:02 am »

They may be implying that a child will affect your freedoms for the next 15 years, so the parents choose to live vicariously through them, or if the parents didn't accomplish their sensational careers, they may force their kids into it to give them a shot at it.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 12:14:28 am »

They may be implying that a child will affect your freedoms for the next 15 years, so the parents choose to live vicariously through them, or if the parents didn't accomplish their sensational careers, they may force their kids into it to give them a shot at it.

Mostly, I'm objecting to the apparent discrimination against mothers, as though fathers didn't do anything of this sort.

As far as the underwear color argument goes, those girls had better be wearing matching panties with their shorts or they'll look ridiculous.  The thing you should be worried about is the color of the shorts themselves, not whatever they happen to be wearing underneath them.

They're just learning gender roles.  The problem is that while the gender roles boys are learning (Strong, competitive, eager, manly man) are generally healthy, the ones these girls are learning (Whore) are not.

Just for a touch of devil's advocacy: are we not seeing strength, competition, and eagerness in these girls?  For some reason, however, we find violence in children far more natural than sex.  Or maybe it's yet another instance of the "boys will be boys" permissiveness.

Don't get me wrong: this is gross.  I believe, however, that some of the arguments we are putting forth are a bit unbalanced.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 12:20:24 am »

And because mothers feel like their daughters ruined the good parts of their lives, so they live through them and push them too far.

Because it's acceptable for American women to want to exploit their children's childhoods for as much as humanly possible because it is capitalism.

Because everything's to blame on the mothers, right?  And of course the problem is that those moms had baby girls, whereas their lives wouldn't be ruined by boys.

I mean, is that what you're saying?  I'm seriously having trouble figuring out your meaning, here.
You must admit that mothers do tend to use their daughters to live out their dreams vicariously. Fathers do it with their sons too, though not as often in my personal experience. I know it was like that with my mom, she forced my sister to do everything she had wanted to do. It was actually funny because during my parents' divorce my mom talked for like 4 hours with the divorce lawyer before my dad. When my dad finally went in to talk to the lawyer he mentioned me and the lawyer had no idea who he was talking about. Turns out she hadn't mentioned me once  ::)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 12:22:51 am »

Mostly, I'm objecting to the apparent discrimination against mothers, as though fathers didn't do anything of this sort.

Sorry I made it come off that way, fathers do it just as well, if not worse. Fathers often live vicariously through their boy's sports accomplishments with just as much passion as this. I didn't intend that parental notion to be bias.

Edit:ninja'd
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 12:26:43 am »

See, the thing is that that isn't as bad, in my opinion at least. That's a pretty natural thing to do, considering the cultural background.

Hold on. A still image of a girl wearing incredibly little displaying herself in some undisclosed manner at a public carnival is A-okay, but the initial video wasn't? What makes one wrong and the other not? Would it not be okay if she was in a group, dancing, wearing red? Or maybe, to use a card I really don't want to use, if she wasn't foreign? Where is the distinction?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Pathos

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2010, 12:32:19 am »

Hold on. A still image of a girl wearing incredibly little displaying herself in some undisclosed manner at a public carnival is A-okay, but the initial video wasn't? What makes one wrong and the other not? Would it not be okay if she was in a group, dancing, wearing red? Or maybe, to use a card I really don't want to use, if she wasn't foreign? Where is the distinction?

It's the distinction between "natural" fun and "artificial" fun. Sure, her mother might've dressed her like that, but it's still pretty natural fun.

I wouldn't blink an eye at kids running around naked at a swimming pool, but I'd be extremely worried if I saw a little girl in a miniskirt at the shops.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:21 am »

Can you be so sure the girls in the video weren't having fun? They sure looked like they were having fun.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:54 am »

What's artificially fun about dressing up and participating in a dance contest?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 12:36:09 am »

I know my little sister enjoyed dressing up and dancing when she was seven.

Now that she's fifteen, she enjoys them even more.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 12:36:45 am »

I actually watched the full video the OP posted.

Wow. Those girls are AMAZING dancers. Illegal or not, them moves is crazy.

Pathos

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 12:38:48 am »

Except for the fact they're dressing up in the most sexualised way possible, they're 8-10 years old and are dancing in a way that attempts to attract adult males?

WELL, I GUESS NOTHING, SIR.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 12:39:58 am »

Except for the fact they're dressing up in the most sexualised way possible, they're 8-10 years old and are dancing in a way that attempts to attract adult males?

WELL, I GUESS NOTHING, SIR.

It's just a dance, man.

Haters gonna hate.

Pathos

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 12:40:51 am »

It's just a dance, man.

Haters gonna hate.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21