Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.  (Read 21056 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »

This video is incredibly silly.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 10:33:40 pm »

The red underwear thing might be reading too much into it. If you're capable of seeing it in the routine (I didn't watch far enough to see), then it might be just because it fits the costume color scheme better. Of course, that raises the issue of why their costumes are designed so that the audience can tell what color their underwear is. Which is probably more important than something as subjective as what colors of undergarments have what connotations (I'd always heard it was black that meant slutty, for instance). I can't really add much to this thread in terms of pointing out more problems with this event, so I'll just leave it at that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »

And then once, during some variation of tag, I wound up touching a girl's chest, and shit fucking exploded for like two weeks.

That reminds me of something similar that happened to me during kindergarten.
I tripped on something, placed my hands out to catch myself, right into a girl's chest.
In fuckin' kindergarten, man.
Except that the explosion was just for a couple of seconds.
But really, how does a fuckin' kindergartener misinterpret tripping on something as "grabbing her tits."

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »

Wow, the escapist forum looks like shit. I see pedobear getting reposted 10,00 times, people using such gems of logic as "ITS FUCKING DISGUSTING THATS WHY" (always a favorite of fundies who refuse to think about what they're trying to ban, of course. But hey, it's okay to use such non-logic if it's something that's unacceptable in your society, right? Even if you're almost certain to then decry others using it to argue against things you don't find disgusting? That's not hypocritical or displaying a total lack of critical thinking at all! End of discussion! No further discourse needed! Knowing why society values one and not the other is totally irrelevant!) and of course, people refusing to comment on the one or two well made posts in the shitstorm, instead re-quoting one-liners and picking apart single comments. Go go outraged mob mentality yet again.

Sorry, it just annoys me that these people would almost definitely get outraged if they saw others acting like that over something they deemed acceptable, but then it's okay for them to act like it towards something that almost everyone finds unacceptable. People hating something is absolutely no excuse to not discuss it rationally.

Man, I don't know what was wrong with my elementary school then.  Around grade five, 1998ish I think, the entire student culture was overrun with rap and sex.  Boy's whose sacks hadn't dropped were ragging on about who they wanted to lay and so forth.

I wish I could find an impartial and thorough study on whether or not that behaviour is more sexual or social in nature. Would be extremely interesting. As I said, kids are born imitators (It's how we learn at that age, after all), could just be the result of a glorification of that culture in media/through peer groups.

Pathos: I pretty definitely have never seen any indications that red is sexier outside of one of my ex girlfriends saying so (Not to compare you to her, but she was an idiot who just regurgitated everything she was told, whether it was true or not). If I had to connect red to anything, it'd probably be blood, which I don't find sexy at all. Again, you're attaching your own values to the situation and reacting to them instead of what's actually going on. From the looks of it, HG131's posts look fine out of context (I'm not going back in *there* to get the context either).
-Being a paedophile is a psychological condition, not illegal. The laws in most western countries frown on acts, not thought crimes.
-laws can be silly sometimes, but that's why we're meant to rationally discuss them and weigh the pros and cons, isn't it? then they become fair laws with a rational basis, right? Which is why we don't just lash out at people we don't agree with?
-something about swimsuits, I dunno. Again, seems reasonable in the light you've presented it in. If people can wear things outdoors without getting into trouble, there's little reason to get upset when they wear them in shows.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Pathos

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »

The red underwear thing might be reading too much into it. If you're capable of seeing it in the routine (I didn't watch far enough to see), then it might be just because it fits the costume color scheme better. Of course, that raises the issue of why their costumes are designed so that the audience can tell what color their underwear is. Which is probably more important than something as subjective as what colors of undergarments have what connotations (I'd always heard it was black that meant slutty, for instance). I can't really add much to this thread in terms of pointing out more problems with this event, so I'll just leave it at that.

Black is only considered slutty in movies, due to red not showing up very well on film. Red is combined with passion, romance etc and hence why red underwear is "sexy" or "slutty".

Why they're in red and black clothing I really don't bloody know. It's definitely got sexual overtones beyond just the way they're made themselves.

"In Real Life, black lingerie is very commonly worn, and people will not look at you funny for admitting you own it, even if it takes up half your underwear drawer. Can you imagine wearing a white bra under a black shirt, or even a dark-coloured one?  *
Since most tropers are young males, some clarification may be required; Basically, the problem is that fabric which appears perfectly opaque when it's not under any tension (i.e. the part of the shirt around the waist and neckline) can become remarkably transparent when stretched across the bustline. Wearing a bra that's white (or even beige) under such a shirt acts like a giant highlighter and looks ridiculous. And tacky.
To women, a Black Bra and Panties are simply sensible, mostly chosen for practicality (although, of course, looks are still a factor). No ulterior motive is involved. Black looks awful under black if it's even a tiny bit transparent, though. "

"This is just silly, of course. It is not a Discredited Trope yet (but who cares?). It's actually the red underwear (especially lingerie) that you have to be careful around. Well, that and no underwear at all. "

From TVTropes

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »

It's context. In this case, I'm sure the girls understand where the routine comes from, and that that overtone will be reflected in their performance. Either they are doing it for the attention, or their parents are 'pressuring' them into it. But yeah I'm sure the girls don't fully understand all of what's going on here. I'd probably be more upset if they were a few years older, when they could grasp more of what they're doing.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 10:54:30 pm »

The little girls are dressed more "sexually" than Beyoncé and her troupe are.

Also, Wikipedia on the Symbolism behind the colour Red.
Spoiler: Article (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:09:42 pm by Pathos »

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:32 pm »

What constitutes sexually provocative is subjective. I don't think a pack of kids in bikeshorts and boobtubes with ruffels constitute sexually charged. If the tops were a little bigger and all the frilly bits and accessories cut off it wouldn't be that far from standard modern dancing attire, from what I know of it. Dancers don't exactly wear overalls for a reason, being that dancing is crazy hard on the cardiovascular system and if you wore anything more than the bare essentials, you'd overheat 20 seconds in and not be able to dance any more.

Edit: great, I decide to go look at the escapist forum once more and I get linked to documentingreality-dot-whatever. Fan-fucking-tastic. Now I'm doomed to browse it at some point out of a lack of control over my morbid fascination and I'll end seeing something even I'm freaked out by after a childhood spent on the internet, and I'll be awake all night dwelling on it. Escapist magazine forums can kiss my ass.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:36:07 pm by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 11:33:15 pm »

Really? Thats the worst you've ever seen?
This was in some latin country for the Carnival. Her mother, who you can see in back, dressed her like that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:55 pm »

If there's not something wrong there I don't know how they call the SWAT for CP.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2010, 11:35:28 pm »

I need to take a hot shower and burn away the sin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 11:35:47 pm »

First I was like   ???
then I was like   :o
then I was like   ::)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 11:40:07 pm »

Clearly you guys have never heard of child modeling. Its pretty much skirting the very edge of the legal lines of what is CP and the worst part is its usually the parents which bring the kids into it. World is weird. 

Pathos

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 11:43:50 pm »

Really? Thats the worst you've ever seen?
This was in some latin country for the Carnival. Her mother, who you can see in back, dressed her like that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

See, the thing is that that isn't as bad, in my opinion at least. That's a pretty natural thing to do, considering the cultural background.

This is not so much.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 11:47:46 pm »

First I was like   ???
then I was like   :o
then I was like   ::)

:-\
:o
:-X
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21