Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.  (Read 21061 times)

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No joke, this is the worst thing I have ever seen.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »

Once again the clash of decency and free speech come to clash.

And once more I have to side with free speech. I dont like it, but I dont want to enforce it to stop.
Likewise, I find this abhorrent but I value freedom of expression too much to feel that we should try and stop it. The only way should show our disapproval is through not supporting it and comments such as this. I mean, we have the same reaction to this as hardline Muslim extremists would to stuff we'd find essentially harmless. So to try and crack down on it would make us no better than them. Different values doesn't make oppression okay. Still, I'd have a serious look at the parenting these children receive.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:30:05 pm by Stany »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:51:56 pm »

While I'm sure the reason for this is on several layers more complicated than I think, but the reason why these girls might want to do this is cause by the dual desire of being mature and popular (and what's more popular/mature than selling you body), but don't understand the implications of what they're doing. As for the parents approval, I'd assume it another case of either parents trying to project through their kids, or lack the backbone to say "No".

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:58 pm »

I agree with the whole layers argument. Different sets of rules are clashing to bring something like this. And remember, "If not this, then something else". When little boys do the gender equivalent of this, it's generally socially acceptable.

So did the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, which did something similar with the same song, strike a really bad chord with you guys too?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »

Yes, but mostly because it was Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 05:02:31 pm »

When little boys do the gender equivalent of this, it's generally socially acceptable.
...What is a boy's equivalent of this?
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:00 pm »

When little boys do the gender equivalent of this, it's generally socially acceptable.
...What is a boy's equivalent of this?

Little-League batters walking up to the plate and adjusting their nonexistent testicles and spitting, because they saw A-Rod do it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:41 pm »

We do get stories about this every now and again... generally about stores marketing adult type clothing to children.  Every time it comes up, I'm really not sure what to think.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 05:05:02 pm »

I'd say for us guys, all the showing off, fighting, knives, and incendiaries? Also firearms and improvised explosives.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 05:08:57 pm »

I don't remember any 7-year-old boys with explosives in my town.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 05:10:53 pm »

The guys I hung out with were mostly into watching violent cartoons/movies and sword-fighting.  Lots and lots of sword fighting, wrestling, brawls, contact monkey in the middle, etc.

Where by "contact monkey in the middle" I mean "monkey in the middle" with groin shots and karate allowed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 05:13:44 pm »

Still, boys are either expected to grow out of violence later down the road or learn some manners. I get the feeling that this isn't something that is going to be weaned out of these kids.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »

They're just learning gender roles.  The problem is that while the gender roles boys are learning (Strong, competitive, eager, manly man) are generally healthy, the ones these girls are learning (Whore) are not.
Shoes...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 06:19:48 pm »

Oh, but everybody who talks(is allowed to talk?) with them knows it is cool and hip and awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 06:34:52 pm »

While I'm sure the reason for this is on several layers more complicated than I think, but the reason why these girls might want to do this is cause by the dual desire of being mature and popular (and what's more popular/mature than selling you body), but don't understand the implications of what they're doing. As for the parents approval, I'd assume it another case of either parents trying to project through their kids, or lack the backbone to say "No".

Agreed, this is a place where the parents failed to do the tertiary parenting responsibility.

That is, the primary responsibility is to make sure your offspring survive,
the secondary responsibility is to prepare them so they can survive on their own,
the tertiary responsibility is to impart additional skills and values to them that will exceed the minimum requirement of self-survival.

Their parents are at least failing #3. It's unclear whether they are failing #2.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 07:07:18 pm »

Hooters is generally hiring, and Strip Clubs, Jack Shacks girls under generally under a 1099 contract, so that a field that has work in it. [/semiserious]
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21