Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-ins, Natural Floor Punctured  (Read 1057 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-ins, Natural Floor Punctured
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:08 pm »

Isn't this normally impossible? I had a constructed floor punch through a natural floor when it collapsed, but then it wouldn't go through another natural floor beneath that.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Cave-ins, Natural Floor Punctured
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:57:29 pm »

What was under that second floor? If it was solid ground then yes, it was natural for a cave-in to stop at that another floor.

If there was another dug out space under 2nd floor then it is indeed a bit strange, at least to my knowledge of cave-in mechanics.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:39 pm »

What was under that second floor? If it was solid ground then yes, it was natural for a cave-in to stop at that another floor.

If there was another dug out space under 2nd floor then it is indeed a bit strange, at least to my knowledge of cave-in mechanics.

I thought natural floors were always invulnerable, thanks for the heads up. ^^; Yeah there was a wall beneath that floor. Whoops!
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »

This vulnerability of natural floor also enables you to cause a cave in to fall to the very bottom z-level, if needed.

So in the following case:

0......X_XXXXX_X 
1......X________X
2......X________X
3......X________X
4......X________X
100...X________X
101...XXXXXXXXX

the falling section will stop falling at the level 100 while traveling through all other levels in instant (where "X" are solid walls and "_" are dug out, natural floor tiles).

Hope this help in any further architectural endeavours!  ;)
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:36:19 pm »

I have also found floors supported by dug staircases to be cavein-proof as well(much to my great annoyance.  THREE TIMES I had to cave in that spot to get the magma moving right...)
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 03:41:40 pm »

This vulnerability of natural floor also enables you to cause a cave in to fall to the very bottom z-level, if needed.

0......X_XXXXX_X 
1......X________X
2......X________X
3......X________X
4......X________X
100...X________X
101...XXXXXXXXX

the falling section will stop falling at the level 100 while traveling through all other levels in instant (where "X" are solid walls and "_" are dug out, natural floor tiles).

I like to use a technique similar to that to make deep cisterns and such.  Except that I will dig out all the layers and the very top layer that I will drop I will excavate/construct so that the falling portion is the exact dimensions of the shaft so as to leave no ledges along the walls on the way down.  Makes for a nice clean shaft.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:32:16 am »

Even constructed stairs block cave-ins, I've just found.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Jumpp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:39:21 am »

0......X_XXXXX_X 
1......X________X
2......X________X
3......X________X
4......X________X
100...X________X
101...XXXXXXXXX

I like to use a technique similar to that to make deep cisterns and such.  Except that I will dig out all the layers and the very top layer that I will drop I will excavate/construct so that the falling portion is the exact dimensions of the shaft so as to leave no ledges along the walls on the way down.  Makes for a nice clean shaft.

Could you elaborate on that?  This sounds like a really cool technique, but I don't entirely understand what you're doing.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 10:56:58 am »

Could you elaborate on that?  This sounds like a really cool technique, but I don't entirely understand what you're doing.

I think he just means this:

0......_XXXXXXX_ 
1......__________
2......X________X
3......X________X
4......X________X
100...X________X
101...XXXXXXXXX

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:39:48 am »

Yep. Since channeling removes the tile, if you dig out an n by n square and channel the edges, the square you'll drop will be n-2 by n-2, leaving ledges along the sides of the shaft. You need to channel out the topmost layer one tile beyond the desired shaft depth in order to shear away all the edges.
Of course, you can also generate inverted pyramids this way with a bit of work...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:58:05 am »

I think he just means this:
Well, I did not mean this, in fact.
But with yours and Shrike's comment, I just realized how your scheme is much more effective, thanks. :)

As for elaborating:
0......_XXXXXXX_  <=== if you remove the floor AROUND solid walls on this level AND there is also an open space one 
1......__________    level above, you will cause cave-in. This block of solid rocks will not stop falling
2......X________X    until it reaches another solid floor with no open space beneath it (here, level 101).
3......X________X    This leaves you with a newly formed solid ground on level 100.
4......X________X
100...X________X  <=== after the cave in it should look like this: XXXXXXXXX
101...XXXXXXXXX

Hope I managed to make this at least wee bit clearer.  :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:02:26 pm »

I believe the only functional difference between natural and constructed as far as cave-ins go is that natural walls and unmined-rock/soil will stay together and form a plug if its dropped as a block, while constructed walls never do so and always deconstruct.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku