Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Activating military dwarves  (Read 319 times)

beniliusbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Activating military dwarves
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:01:05 pm »

I know that the military is bugged in the new version, but since I started playing DF on said new version I can't properly experience the bugs on account of the fact that I'm not even sure how to make my civilian dwarves take up their righteous duty of self-preservation in the first place. The only way I know how to activate my military is by creating a squad and then designating something to destroy--or, less adventurously, somewhere to stand. And as much as I enjoy sending racoons and macaques to the Gates of Armok, I'd like to get my army into training.

So, bugs aside, how do I get my dwarves to just plain train?--that is to say, without having specific orders?

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Activating military dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »

Build a barracks (From a bed, armor stand, weapon rack, etc) and set the barracks to be the training zone for whichever squad you want to train. The squad will then drop their more boring jobs and go to the barracks to beat the shit out of each other.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:54:47 pm »

This was disscussed before, but it might help to mention again that currently the most effective ways to train your dwarfs seems to be to not let them organize group trainnings (sorry Matuin, I was not sure if you were reffering to that specifically).
As Matuin said, designate barracks, assign it as a training grounds for desired squad and also do not schedule any orders to that squad whatsoever.
In most cases soldiers will then proceed to do "individual combat drill" for most of their time and you do not need to worry any further.

It is good to point out, however, that during their individual drills, squad members are still considered as civilians and will not attack an enemy on their own.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:42:15 pm »

I need a little help too. I can get them to train and all, and I know to not set any scheduled orders, but when it gets to actually making them train with a weapon I'm lost. They just wrestle, even when they are equipped with my weapon of choice. Legendary Fighters are worthless, they cant even take a armed gobbo on without coming out with half of their limbs off.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:44:19 pm by Rex_Nex »