Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf with mood wont construct...  (Read 637 times)

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
Dwarf with mood wont construct...
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:56:01 pm »

I have a dwarf at a craft workshop, and he keeps saying needs rock bars and body parts... But I have a pile of dog and cat bones and rock blocks/metal bars right next to him but he keeps saying he still needs stuff... Why wont it work?

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf with mood wont construct...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:59:41 pm »

Check his preferences. It might be a certain type of rock he needs. I lost a metalcrafter to this recently.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

b1gb0y2013

• Bay Watcher
  • Santa from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:02:26 pm »

He likes conglomerate... But i have a volcano on my map and no conglomerate anywhere... But does it matter which bone type?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:04:13 pm by b1gb0y2013 »

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »

Body parts can mean shells, iirc.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »

As mentioned before, in 0.31 bones and shells are generalized as "body parts", together with horns, tusks and other "craftable" animal items (if I am not mistaken) and are thus refered as such by moody dwarfs.

However.

Shells are in unusual high demand currently, meaning that "body parts" dwarfs are screaming of are most likely shells.

I had quite a few failed moods in my most current 0.31 fort because of shells or rather their lack-of, and with a bit of a fishing problems it is likely your dwarf is doomed to.
You COULD try fishing, if you have not already and if outside water sources provide nothing, you COULD also try fishing in caverns for cave lobsters.  :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

One thing to do is have caravans bring in small quantities of random materials, various leathers, cloths, stones, and metals, and keep those on hand just in case a dwarf in a mood has a need for one.  Make a stockpile somewhere for specific odds and ends materials that are absent in your zone to hold these imports. 

Sadly, this will not do your current moody dwarf much good, but it will reduce such issues in the future. 

Also, assign a war dog to him, as instances of moody dwarves going berserk seems to be more frequent this version, at least in my experience. 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:21 pm »

Easiest way to prevent a berserk mood from getting out of control is to build cage traps at the entrance to your workshop rooms. A cage trap will instantly stop a berserk dwarf. The cage will then be hauled off to the stockpile and the berserk dwarf will slowly starve to death inside the cage.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 03:10:43 pm »

Or you could build the cage in your entrance and hope for a megabeast to attack.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!