Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have the requirements for cave spiders changed in 31.03?  (Read 764 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Have the requirements for cave spiders changed in 31.03?
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »

Hi!

Since my fortress is inactive except for my miners, I regularly have my vermin remains dumped. Now, in the most recent go, I noticed "cave spider remains"!?!

I have not breached the cavern layer yet, and I thought that cave spiders would only appear if you breached a natural cavern/cavern layer. Has that changed?

One thing that might have something to do with it is that I have removed most of the subterranean features:

Code: [Select]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:1]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:60]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:40]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:20]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:0]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:0]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:10]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:10]

The cave spider remains lay on the lowest level of the fortress which has been dug just recently, about 12 levels below the surface.

EDIT: I just noticed that there are also cave spider webs in those newly dug rooms. This bodes ill - that was just to be the storage area for my tavern - I don't want to see my dwarves getting bitten just when they want a drink (T_T)

Deathworks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:23:18 pm by Deathworks »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Have the requirements for cave spiders changed in 31.03?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:30:53 pm »

Relax. Verminportation is still in. You're very close to a cavern though. In 40d I had cave spider webs in my mining tunnels long before I ever found the feature they were from.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:57:07 pm »

Hi!

Thank you for that information. Since I never embarked on caverns in 40d if I could help it (the dangers of getting into conflict outweighed any benefits of the silk for me), I never knew about such verminportation issues.

Mmmhhhh, there were still 10 designated 3x3 rooms for that storage area... I undesignated 8 of them (2 had already been begun) and I hope I don't breach the cavern there - it would ruin the aesthetics of my storage rooms (^_^;;

Anyhow, I hope that the cave spiders keep away from my dwarves - especially since my cat population is currently quite low (^_^;;

Deathworks

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:00:46 pm »

Start pumping out small animal traps and set two trappers to work. You should tear through them pretty quick.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.