Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eliminating the Tundra  (Read 726 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Eliminating the Tundra
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:55 pm »

I'm sick of having my pocket worlds have such a large area devoted to tundra. I want an "Island" in the middle of an ocean, not a piece of rock locked to an iceburg. How do I eliminate tundra in my pocket generates?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Eliminating the Tundra
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:10:14 pm »

Increase the minimum temperature and make sure the minimum required squares for tundra and glaciers are set to none.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:19:00 pm »

Minimum temperature 65 still generates tundra on one map side. This is with "none" set.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 04:30:39 pm »

DF temperatures are not like real world temperatures.  IIRC (and check me on this), a temperature of 65 corresponds roughly to -9935 degrees Fahrenheit.

I *think* the rule is just to add 10,000 to whatever number you're shooting for.  So maybe try 10050?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 04:53:21 pm »

If were are talking about "minimum" and "maximum temperature" parameters in "Design new world with parameters", then those numbers are between -1000 and 1000.

How big would you like your island to be? After some quick worldgening I got tundra-less smaller islan with min temp: 100 and max temp: 150 an a small island with a really tiny glacier on the north with min T: 75 an max: 125 and another small with min 100 and max 150, again with no tundra.
I saved this last one and checked temperaturire on embark screen. There are a lot of schorching areas and savana titles but humans have no troubles building cities there so I guess it is not too hot.

Hope this helps a bit.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 05:15:00 pm »

The problem with the temperature settings in world gen is that they are modified by latitude and elevation after the initial values have been set. This means that, although you may set the minimum temperature to be 50, areas with high elevation or that are to the far north or far south could still finish as temperatures below 50.

Try setting min and max to be about the same value if you want a world that is mostly temperate (somewhere between {75, 75} and {100, 100}), or the numbers that Sinistar suggests to just avoid freezing.