Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice, Magma, and Towers in the Sea. [0.31.03]  (Read 1110 times)

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
Ice, Magma, and Towers in the Sea. [0.31.03]
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:55:24 am »

So I've got a few questions about ice and magma.

1) Does magma melt natural ice.
  1a) If so can this lead obsidian forming?

2) If natural ice is smoothed does it still melt when it comes into contact with magma.

I'm asking this because I've always wanted an obsidian tower out in the ocean but the time it takes to build a magma pipe out to were you want to build can take so long that I often give up on the project.

This brings me to my next series of questions.

1) What is the fastest way to get magma to my building site?

2) Do bridges count as a floor space and thus allow constructions to be built off them?

3) Does using blocks have any benefit besides looking nicer?

So ya any other advice on this project would be nice as well. 

P.S. If any one has a world with a volcano close to the ocean do you think you could give my the seed or save(especially if its in a freezing biome)?  It's so hard to find those type of places now.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Ice, Magma, and Towers in the Sea. [0.31.03]
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »

I believe the answers to your questions are
1. yes
1a. yes
2. yes
3. pump stack and constructed channel (isn't that hard)
4. yes but bridges won't provide support for constructions
5. and increased architectural value at the expense of speed (takes forever to make enough blocks).

And how far away do you want to build?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:41:03 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »

I believe the answers to your questions are
1. yes
1a. yes
2. yes
3. pump stack and constructed channel (isn't that hard)
4. yes but bridges won't provide support for constructions
5. and increased architectural value at the expense of speed (takes forever to make enough blocks).

And how far away do you want to build?

Thanks for the info.  And I want to build out as far as possible.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:49:23 pm »

Is your biome freezing? If so you don't even need magma to create a fortress out of ice. You just need speedy dwarves.

The idea is to use a bucket brigade to build a fortress. Even 1/7 water will freeze into an ice wall. You can easily build your fortress one block of ice at a time using a bucket brigade. Keep their path short so the water doesn't freeze in the bucket until the dwarf can dump the bucket. The bucket will prevent the water from freezing for a short time.

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:55 pm »

Is your biome freezing? If so you don't even need magma to create a fortress out of ice. You just need speedy dwarves.

The idea is to use a bucket brigade to build a fortress. Even 1/7 water will freeze into an ice wall. You can easily build your fortress one block of ice at a time using a bucket brigade. Keep their path short so the water doesn't freeze in the bucket until the dwarf can dump the bucket. The bucket will prevent the water from freezing for a short time.

Ice tower is not a bad alternative. But the goal is to build it out in the ocean.  If the ocean itself is not frozen would water above it still freeze?  I've seen first hand were land locked water would freeze but not oceans. So I'm guessing yes.  It's just I want to make sure things will work before I work on this mega project.  The few I have tried have always died do to some small but crucial aspect of them not been possible.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »

Actually it takes 2/7 water to freeeze into a wall.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!