Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandoned mine tunnels  (Read 1642 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abandoned mine tunnels
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:39:04 am »

Some interesting pictures here. Perhaps they dug too deep and found some !FUN!?  :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/8646497.stm

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Abandoned mine tunnels
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:42:39 am »

Really, amazing shots. :o
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:25 am »

yeah, stunning shots. I had the luxury of holidaying in wales for most of my early years, so I've been round all the touristy-type mines, and even some of the less-touristy-type mines round there. I'd love to go back and do some proper spelunking, but time and money are against me.

There are also some spectacular caves around my parents place in France, unfortunately, my photography skills and low end camera means that my shots aren't anywhere near as good as those though.

NotQuiteJesus

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Herod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »

Clueless brit cancels life: Interrupted by moose demon.

Did i do it right
Oh, peachy.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 01:09:34 pm »

Oh man those pictures are AWESOME.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:11 pm »

I fully support that endeavor.

I enjoy caves. Maybe one day I'll have the time and money to actually do some spelunking.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:52 am »

I went to a glory hole on my honeymoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Mine

No, really.

Sadly the miners had delved too deeply, struck an aquifer and considered pump stacking too 'dangerous', whatever that means.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 12:18:50 am »

What's this about spelunking costing money? Can't you just find a cave out in the wilderness somewhere? Or a mine that's cheap to get into?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:59 am »

I imagine the really impressive ones tend to be somewhat far away and require fairly specialized equipment to safely explore. Plus, those ones would probably be well-watched enough that you'd have to pay admission and hire a guide, since they don't want people just sort of wandering in there, defiling the walls, then dying in a tunnel collapse.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:13:34 am »

I live in the area where they were taken. Theres loads of that type of stuff aorund here, and we kind of take it for granted.
This is a blank sig.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 11:24:00 am »

What's this about spelunking costing money? Can't you just find a cave out in the wilderness somewhere? Or a mine that's cheap to get into?

That can be extremely dangerous to do. You go in on your own and its very cheap or free, but if you get in trouble it becomes your tomb.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 12:15:57 pm »

I live in the area where they were taken. Theres loads of that type of stuff aorund here, and we kind of take it for granted.

I'm lucky enough to have gone on 4 cross continent trips to see a variety of different places.  And as beautiful as all of it was, it also made me realize that I have just as beautiful locations locally, but like you said - we take it for granted. 

Traveling is great, and I hope to continue doing it but if you take a minute to look at what is around you, you can discover many amazing things.
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 01:40:10 pm »

You have your protective gear: helmet, knee pads, gloves, boots. 
Your lights: Headlamp, at least two additional light sources along with backup 'fuel' for all of them. (Batteries, extra carbide, etc.)
Two canteens full of water, food, warm clothing, secondary set of warm clothing / blanket in water tight container.
First aid kit.
A rope.  (Even if you are not doing climbing, rope is a good idea to have along.)

Though the most important thing to have along is a partner.  (Also extremely important is making sure someone who isn't going with you, knows exactly where you are going, so if you don't show up the next day they can send out the search and rescue.)

Or, you could just wander into a hole in the ground with a flashlight, slip, break an ankle and then die of dehydration in the dark.  (Course one might consider that poetic justice for all of you who have 'delt' with injured dwarves by locking them in their rooms. >_>)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.