Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I really hate chess!  (Read 11850 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: I really hate chess!
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 08:14:15 am »

wait... checkers is not the same as chess?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 08:25:03 am »

One more person here for Go. I personally find chess a bit... stilted I guess? It's limited in the moves you can make at any given time. By contrast, Go has an incredible degree of freedom. That, and the tension that builds in large ko and counting battles can be insane.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2010, 08:47:02 am »

Chess. Is. Awesome.

@ OP: You probably just need more practice. And you already know how they all move and capture... now its time to start thinking about complex ways to use all those various maneuvers in a way that will crush your opponent.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 10:43:53 am »

find PEOPLE (preferably real life) to play against. Playing chess vs the computer is one of the least satisfying ways possible to spend your time, cause unless you're damn good you'll never beat it with any consistency.

Seconded. I have had a lot of fun playing chess against people, but never against computers. With the computer, the inevitability of defeat is too discouraging; in that sense I can relate to the OP. As you watch your opponent's piece move, you know that it's the strongest move on the board, because they've already considered every possible move that you and they can make from then till the end of the game. Who would want to spend time that way? It's hard even to learn anything from it, since you'll rarely get positive feedback for gradually improving your moves or strategy (i.e., you will still lose, quickly).

With a human opponent, on the other hand, it's possible that they've missed something several moves ahead, or even one or two moves ahead. If they missed it because you planned it that way, because you carefully laid and sprung a subtle trap, that can be incredibly satisfying, but that will never happen against a computer. Likewise if you manage to notice and foil one of their traps. That's when you'll start feeling like a chess player.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2010, 10:51:24 am »

I like chess, against another player ofcourse.
But I always manage to lose most of the time to my younger brother.
I do think ahead sometimes but most of the time I'll just do something random.

And while we are talking about chess.. I once thought of the idea of combining chess, monopoly and risk (possibly settlers of catan too).
But the idea never became anything.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 10:55:35 am »

I like chess, against another player ofcourse.
But I always manage to lose most of the time to my younger brother.
I do think ahead sometimes but most of the time I'll just do something random.

And while we are talking about chess.. I once thought of the idea of combining chess, monopoly and risk (possibly settlers of catan too).
But the idea never became anything.

I dont know how you'd combine all of those, but now I'm envisioning Risk with armies that can only move chess-knight style.  :o

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2010, 10:58:47 am »

Ah, chess, the game of kings... Only existing game, where luck has no impact on game.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2010, 11:08:26 am »

Ah, chess, the game of kings... Only existing game, where luck has no impact on game.

Well you could be lucky if you won the game because the other player overlooked a vital/fatal move.

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 11:19:40 am »

And Go is exactly the same way. Both are completely deterministic, insofar as the players' intentions can be divined. As a matter of fact, A Game of Thrones, Diplomacy, and a whole host of other games are exactly the same way. So, please, put some thought into your unqualified statements before you make them.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2010, 01:59:23 pm »

And Go is exactly the same way. Both are completely deterministic, insofar as the players' intentions can be divined. As a matter of fact, A Game of Thrones, Diplomacy, and a whole host of other games are exactly the same way. So, please, put some thought into your unqualified statements before you make them.

Quarto, Blokus, 3D Blokus, Cityscape, Twixt, Quoridor, Mancala, Master Labyrinth, ... I could go on and fill the page if I had the time. There are hundreds of nonluck-based games.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 02:13:54 pm »

In my opinion chess is overrated.

Awesome.  So... what are your feelings on the sculptures of Rodin, quantum theory and the Iliad?
The Iliad was good but the sequel tried to cram every piece of mythology they had in it. "Here's everybody's favourite character from the previous book(scroll?), this time outwitting and/or sleeping with everything that had at least one immortal parent!"

That said, there are worse pieces of universally worshiped classic literature, like Dante Alighieri's self insertion fanfic of the bible...
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:37 pm »

That said, there are worse pieces of universally worshiped classic literature, like Dante Alighieri's self insertion fanfic of the bible...

Right, hold on, I'm writing this down...  Chess, overrated.  Dante writes fan fiction...  I suppose Milton would fall under that category, as well?

I suppose Laozi was a lazy know-it-all and anyone could have painted the roof of the Sistine Chapel?

Maybe I'm too conservative, but I'm gonna hold off on deriding works that have been acclaimed by so many smart folks.  Something tells me when I stand askance from a bunch of smart guys, the chances are real good that I'm not at a higher plateau.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 02:29:43 pm »

Machiavelli just wrote glorified self-help books.  :\

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2010, 02:31:31 pm »

Right, hold on, I'm writing this down...  Chess, overrated.  Dante writes fan fiction...  I suppose Milton would fall under that category, as well?

I suppose Laozi was a lazy know-it-all and anyone could have painted the roof of the Sistine Chapel?

Maybe I'm too conservative, but I'm gonna hold off on deriding works that have been acclaimed by so many smart folks.  Something tells me when I stand askance from a bunch of smart guys, the chances are real good that I'm not at a higher plateau.

You should find your own reason to appreciate something, not because "a bunch of smart guys do".  You should also get over the presumption that when someone dislikes something, it's because they think it's beneath them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 06:41:07 pm »

Guys!  I think there's more here than meets the eye!

What if the original poster meant his complaint against a game he did not understand as an ironic analogy of people who complain against Dwarf Fortress?

Also, if you have become bored with chess, have you tried Chess v. Checkers?  It's like playing two different games, and you can have quite the argument over who has the advantage...

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your magazine or newsletter!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5