Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: I really hate chess!  (Read 11847 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I really hate chess!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 06:46:18 pm »

I don't think being pretentious is taking issue with someone derogating a piece of culture that has been acclaimed by centuries of thinkers, I think being pretentious is the act of derogation of such a cultural artifact.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 06:57:09 pm »

Interesting. How do you react when someone says they don't like math?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 06:58:30 pm »

this discussion was off topic from the beginning. lets move it to the off topic forum or kill it

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »

psst. We've got a 327 over here, I'm gonna need a dispatch. psst
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:27 pm »

You couldn't take the queen with your pawn because it would have placed your king in jeopardy.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 07:41:40 pm »

I don't think being pretentious is taking issue with someone derogating a piece of culture that has been acclaimed by centuries of thinkers, I think being pretentious is the act of derogation of such a cultural artifact.

Usually it's people who hardly put it any time trying to understand it that say "it's boring" or "durrr computers have solved chess there's no sense playing it anymore". Of course it's boring if you don't try to understand the plans, reasoning and logic that goes into every move. Chess games from good players contain so much beauty and excitement. Paul Morphy's games often give me the same feeling I get when reading a beautiful passage of fiction. There's lots of creativity and artistry in chess, it isn't only cold logic.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:44:18 pm by moocowmoo »

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »

Guys!  I think there's more here than meets the eye!

What if the original poster meant his complaint against a game he did not understand as an ironic analogy of people who complain against Dwarf Fortress?

Also, if you have become bored with chess, have you tried Chess v. Checkers?  It's like playing two different games, and you can have quite the argument over who has the advantage...

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kung Fu Kingdom - An RTS with Kung Fu!
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:12 pm »

Guys, the original OP was just venting. Like your girlfriends may have told you one time or another, hes not looking for advice, so just shut up and sympathies already (Note, I am not implying that the OP is a woman, or has lady like qualities). He was venting here because he thinks we are cool, and likes us, and feels safe doing it here. Stop judging and chill out. Chess can be frustrating.

I like GO myself. Game Blows. My. Mind.

I also like a good game of slap and tickle. Contrary to popular belief, this requires quite a bit of strategy as well.
Snoopicus: What is the kill radius of lava heat?
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

LeegleechN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »

In my opinion chess is overrated.

Awesome.  So... what are your feelings on the sculptures of Rodin, quantum theory and the Iliad?

Chess as a cultural artifact is not the same as chess as a game. If both chess and Go were invented today and presented to me, I would fall in love with Go, but would only tend to play chess if someone else wanted to or it was the only game we both knew. Also, considering I referenced both Go and Shogi in my post (two culturally revered games), I think you could have continued reading my post a bit instead of responding to only the first sentence. It should have been clear that I have great respect for the cultural aspect of those ancient strategy games. What I think is overrated is the notion that Chess is the pinnacle of intellectual abstract games.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 10:35:20 pm »

When someone says they don't like math, they aren't implying some kind of superior refinement of their intellectual tastes over the proletariat..
Quote from: The Mad Engineer
What if the original poster meant his complaint against a game he did not understand as an ironic analogy of people who complain against Dwarf Fortress?
Good call.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 11:05:08 pm »

When someone says they don't like math, they aren't implying some kind of superior refinement of their intellectual tastes over the proletariat..

...Yeah, that was actually the point I made. Neither was LeegleechN. Hence his beginning with "in my opinion." If he had said "Hey you chess-playing-fish, why don't you evolve into monkeys and play a real game for a change?" that would have been elitist. However, implying that someone can't appreciate greatness because they don't like chess as much as other games is elitist. Regardless I'm heading out of this thread because:
this discussion was off topic from the beginning. lets move it to the off topic forum or kill it

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 11:06:21 pm »

Women are weird.

Me: So how's things?
Wife: Lonely, but one day I'll have a baby to play with, so its fine.
Me: So you're not pregnant? Let me fix that.
Wife: THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED!

Freaking crazy women, telling you what to do but not what they want.

Also, having won a few tournaments, I can tell you chess is all about making the opponent squirm. You cannot play a computer and feel the tension, the board, sense your opponent's morale, determine if he's aggressive or defensive or just trying to play cool, ect. You've got to grin at the wrong moments, stare him in the eye during his entire turn, and deliberately run down your clock after you've already moved.

Yeah. I won a few tournaments.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

blueeyedlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:46 am »

Go is good

also english versions of shogi and chu shogi are worth looking at

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 01:43:37 am »

A common misconception about chess (or at least among the people i play, maybe they are retarded) is that the amount of pieces on each side doesnt matter, even if its only made different by lost pawns. Basically, if a football team loses one player, the other team has advantage by numbers. If the enemy takes a bishop, you need to take something back (even if its only a pawn) to level the playing field again.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 07:54:09 am »

That's pretty much the worst chess advice ever. What matters in chess, and the ONLY thing that matters, is your position. Two or three pieces in the right places will always beat sixteen pieces in the wrong place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5