Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invisible Flying Thieves  (Read 3062 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Invisible Flying Thieves
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:15 am »

So my airlock system forgot, you know, to actually seal out the AIR.

NOT COOL, DF2010.

Well, actually, it's very cool. It just took me by surprise. Also, I paid 5000 for those steel gauntlets, dammit. (funded by Golden Salve. "The burney feeling let's you know it's working!")
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invisible Flying Thieves
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:06:11 pm »

I have no idea what you are talking about.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:07:22 pm »

Maybe not invisible, but vultures and buzzards.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »

My high school teachers didn't believe me about invisible flying final project thieves, maybe they should play DF and realize how wrong they are!
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:58:11 pm »

I have no idea what you are talking about.

All ground and water based entries are entirely walled off and have been for multiple seasons. And yet I had two thefts. On top of this, the only ground based exit to my fort, when it IS open, has 3 mules strung across it. This has been like this for longer than the past game year. How could a thief walk through this and not be caught? how could two?

Maybe not invisible, but vultures and buzzards.
The place is prone to buzzards, but all the visible buzzards were dead for this same length of time, and no visible flying units were on the map. Believe me, I already had a buzzard attack. Only groundhogs and horses were on the map. (not counting the critters in the caverns, which have no physical access, at any level)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:15:52 pm »

What did the announcements say stole them?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:54:03 pm »

Were there any items sitting around outside? Kobolds can steal those without becoming visible.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:10 pm »

I've had my immigrants drop all kinds of crap when they first arrive, far away from the fortress and near the edge of the map. Lots of it got stolen :(

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »

Kobolds have some pretty durn good ambush skill.  I occasionally see them getting found inside the entrance of forts.  Its one way in and out and there is a lot of traffic...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 01:18:04 am »

They stole from my depot. trust me, two masterwork steel gauntlets were NOT dropped by my migrants.
The ONLY path to the depot is 3 tiles wide.
It has three mules chained across it at one point.
There is a drawbridge that was closed since I got them (other than letting the traders leave) for the duration anyways.

The only hold in security is the traders leaving. How did the thief walk OVER my mules (and the traders, and the 3 departing warriors) without being spotted? That's some grandmaster legendary ambush skill right there, or a flying itemthief. It did not tell me what had stolen them, which bugs me.
[/quote]

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:41 am »

Just to check: all the underground entries to your fort are also accounted for, right? I assume so but you didn't explicitly say it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:59 am »

Just to check: all the underground entries to your fort are also accounted for, right? I assume so but you didn't explicitly say it.

Hm. you're right. I thought I had explicitly said it.
Yes. All underground entries aren't. As in, there are none. The last was underwater, was technically blocked by a fortification, and let in a flying webslinging poisonous leechbeast. It didn't even climb out of the well before I locked the doors to the room and walled it in.
[/quote]

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:40:38 am »

A suggestion: make a copy of the game's save, abandon, and go to the Legends mode.  That should tell you who stole the gauntlets.  I'm guessing kobolds, but it would be nice to know if there's a new threat hiding out there.   

Headache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 07:38:40 pm »

Buzzards are the new and improved rhesus macaques.

In one of my recent, sandy desert biome fortresses, gangs of them staged regular raids once or twice a year, stealing prickle berry seed roasts from my food stores.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »

Buzzards are the new and improved rhesus macaques.

In one of my recent, sandy desert biome fortresses, gangs of them staged regular raids once or twice a year, stealing prickle berry seed roasts from my food stores.
Naked mole dogs will also do this, from the caverns. They don't fly, but they can run in and steal them before you notice there is an opening.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: [1] 2