Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: This belongs in a museum  (Read 29361 times)

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This belongs in a museum
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 02:20:22 pm »

no, I meant you pre-make the display case, like a bed or something, and then when you go to set it up (like furniture), you're given first a display case to choose, and then your secondary item to display in it, which would be the artifact.  This would kinda be like a chest/coffer sort of deal, using k to view it would give you "display case", using t to view contents would give you the artifact, from where you can see the description.

I suck at modding, I tried to create the reaction/building stuff myself based on some of the other things but it sucks not being able to declare custom tokens.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:56 pm »

What you're looking for is not yet possible, unfortunately.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »

Yeah, I figured as much.  I even tried putting in a custom reaction but once the product is made you can't do anything with it.

New feature, Today? :D

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 01:11:37 am »

*necro D:*

So, I paste this into my raws, I gen a new world, I embark, and I can't find "Display Case" anywhere in my build menu.

?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:57 am »

So, I paste this into my raws, I gen a new world, I embark, and I can't find "Display Case" anywhere in my build menu.
You probably neglected to add [PERMITTED_BUILDING:DISPLAY_CASE] to your dwarf entity. Without it, the display case "workshop" isn't able to be built by dwarves. That line doesn't have to be anywhere in particular, it just has to be in the MOUNTAIN entry in entity_default.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 02:05:38 am »

Ah.

Can I fix that without genning yet another new world?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 02:26:13 am »

I believe so, yes.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 02:35:53 am »

Ah.

If you modify this so that the game think the soap maker's workshop is the display case then it'd work just fine
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:07 am »

Ah.

If you modify this so that the game think the soap maker's workshop is the display case then it'd work just fine
Are you sure? I was under the impression that changes to the entity file have no effect on a world which has already been generated.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:36 am »

Ah.

or use world tinker which grants you the access to adding more workshops to an existing fort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2011, 06:11:40 am »

Are you sure? I was under the impression that changes to the entity file have no effect on a world which has already been generated.

Replacing an existing workshop wouldn't require any changes to the entity file.

It's probably safe to say that the same rules apply to editing workshops that do to editing reactions - changing existing ones is fine, adding or removing them isn't.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:32 am »

That's only mostly true. Most lines in the entity file are only effective during world generation, so if you change them after embark they have no effect. Others are set when you embark and so are effective after world generation but not after embark. Yet others, however, work even after embark. This last category includes things like AMBUSHER, ITEM_THIEF, and BABYSNATCHER. It also includes, and I am now completely sure of it since I just tested it, adding permitted buildings to the entity.

Note that the building itself must already exist in an entry in one of the building raw files before embark, since you can't add new entries, but just allowing a preexisting entity to build a preexisting building works fine.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 08:06:03 am »

Do the dwarves admire it? What about adding reactions?

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:STUDY_ARTIFACT]
[NAME:study artifact]
[BUILDING:DISPLAY_CASE:NONE]
[SKILL:APPRAISER]

Possibly "OBSERVER", "STUDENT", "CONCENTRATION" skills too.

Also, could it be possible to make thus building require Architecture to design?
Can anyone explain how to add these please? I'm new to this but I really want it!

Just add it to the other lines or is it more difficult? And how to add multiple skills?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:58:10 am by Alu »
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:53 am »

in the entity_default.txt, you will also need to add [PERMITTED_REACTION:STUDY_ARTEFACT] under the mountain entry.
For the other skills, I believe you need
[SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS] for observer
[SKILL:KNOWLEDGE_ACQUISITION] for student
[SKILL:CONCENTRATION] for concentration.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:38:36 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:56 am »

Anyone tried this with x.19?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5