Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: tech help :(  (Read 1433 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: tech help :(
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 12:25:59 pm »

Replace the wireless adapter with one of a different make. Sounds like driver issues to me.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 12:27:43 pm »

Well, if done right, formatting a hard drive isn't that big of a deal..depends:
How much stuff do you have saved?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

Did you install Steam after you installed Windows 7? Or is this on an external drive?

I assumed you wiped the machine, installed Win7, then installed Steam.

It's possible Steam installs in an OS-dependent way, and breaks if you use a different one. I have no idea.

Also, since it doesn't happen right away, perhaps this is a data overflow issue of some type?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »

well i reinstalled windows and im about to test steam.... i have another problem that might cause me to trash my computer completely and just play scrabble forever.

My computer will boot up normally and i can hear all the windows boot up sounds but my monitor has a blinking power light and nothing ells....  if i unplug the monitor from the computer it lights up and says no signal.  i restart several times, check the cables and their all firmly connected and eventually after a few hours of restarting and wiggling things it will just start working on its own...... i am afraid to restart my computer.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »

How old is this computer?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 03:17:21 pm »

fairly. i have an nvida gforce gtx 260, intell core 2 quad 6600.  those where fairly state of the art when i got them i think.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 03:18:06 pm »

Your computer may be dying of old age. It happens.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 03:22:07 pm »

that sux. it was 1200 to build and i am laid off right now so it will be a long long time before i can afford even an equal replacement.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »

i did some research and found out i got the computer brand new two and a half years ago.  mother board is an evga 680i

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04:09 pm »

While, two years isn't too old.

Hrm...Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:57 pm »

well i reinstalled windows and im about to test steam.... i have another problem that might cause me to trash my computer completely and just play scrabble forever.

My computer will boot up normally and i can hear all the windows boot up sounds but my monitor has a blinking power light and nothing ells....  if i unplug the monitor from the computer it lights up and says no signal.  i restart several times, check the cables and their all firmly connected and eventually after a few hours of restarting and wiggling things it will just start working on its own...... i am afraid to restart my computer.

I had that happen with my monitor a few months ago... One day it just stopped working entirely. :(

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 05:43:51 pm »

ok so the reinstall of windows worked on the blue screen error that i have had for months.  thank you for the advice.  i think my monitor issue is actually my video card but thats ok because i have a life time warranty on it

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 06:38:42 pm »

Have you tried starting it in safe mode?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 09:07:18 pm »

when that monitor problem happens i cant see anything to be able to start it in safe mode. its blank even in the dos part.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:04 am »

Your computer may be dying of old age. It happens.
No, it doesn't. "Old age" does not affect nonmoving parts. What can affect non-moving parts is heat damage, but you have to really cock up cooling to cause that kind of damage (and the machine should halt before damage is actually done).

A Q6600-based rig dying "of old age" after three years? That doesn't even make sense.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235
Pages: 1 [2] 3