Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: tech help :(  (Read 1432 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tech help :(
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:51:08 am »

i am struggling with a tech problem that i have had for months and no one seems to be able to help.  ill start with what i know its not.

Its not a hardware problem for sure and it seems to be a memory or ram problem but i have completly replaced all my ram with no luck...

What is happening is that most programs that access the internet cause my computer to bluescreen with a memory dump.  this started happening after i installed windows 7.  programs like steam and web browsers.  steam does it much faster than the web browsers do however, especially if im downloading with it.  does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tech help :(
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:59:23 am »

Post what information the bluescreen contains. There should be name of the error and what file caused it somewhere.

I had same situation with some sites using Flash. I google the name of the file that caused the error, and found that the mix of Firefox 3.6 + Macromedia Flash Player 10 + Kerio Personal Firewall causes this and he solution is to downgrade Flash Player to version 9.0.

Since it happens in different browsers for you, the cause is probably totally different. Post the info from the bluescreen so we can find.   
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 08:05:32 am »

know of a way i can screen cap the error cus its gone really quick

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:31 am »

Okay, find a red switch on the place where a big black cable connects, the power one. Found it? Now turn on your PC and flip that switch.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:14 am »

you want me to immediately cut the power to my computer........

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:26:37 am »

Nonono, not the on/off one
That the black, and blue. Im talking about smaller, red one, it can be a bit sunk
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:48 am »

what does that do?
testing the power supply?

i dont have a switch like that on my power supply.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:13 am »

I'd say try re-installing windows.

Also how do you know it definatly isn't a hardware problem?

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:22 am »

i replaced my ram and it still happened.  also it worked fine for years on vista.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:50:01 am »

Computers often work fine for years before dying. Not that uncommon.

Also, RAM =/= all hardware.

What kind of internet card do you have?
A USB dongle?
Built in Wi-Fi?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:54:32 am »

linksis wirless g usb adapter.   i replaced this also.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 11:00:47 am »

Hrm...
Have you tried re-installing windows?

Move everything to a backup hard drive, and try that.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:11 am »

i would like to reserve that option for a last resort.  do you have any think i can try before i try that?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 11:27:53 am »

Try using Internet Explorer, not your whatever browser.

Save a website to your hard drive for offline testing.

Then try starting up your computer and removing your wireless card, disconnecting any landline communications, etc. Then open your saved website in one of the crash-prone browsers. Do you crash?

I'm not sure the above steps will help much, because I don't think it's likely you'll crash when reading offline.

Have you done a full cold reboot on your entire system at the same time? I mean actually unplugging your wireless router, cable modem, computer, printer, etc. and plugging them back in for startup.

Then try resetting your network connections. I forget how to do this.

Try uninstalling your browser and Steam (and make sure they're gone from Program Files) and reinstalling fresh.

Then try resetting your modem to factory specs. There should be a little button. Before you do this, make sure you have all the documentation for the modem and router printed out, and you have all your passwords and stuff. Ideally, get a friend who has another internet connection at hand to help look something up if you can't.

Only after these would I consider something so dramatic as reinstalling the OS.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:50 pm »

yes to all the "have you tried" and IE and firefox cause the problem but only when connected to the internet.  same for steam. steam will crash my windows especially fast if im downloading with it.  im not sure what is causing this but it started right after i installed windows 7 home 64x
Pages: [1] 2 3