Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Angkor Vath (Succession, Genesis mod) - turn 3  (Read 10108 times)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Angkor Vath (Succession, Genesis mod) - turn 2
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 01:07:33 am »

From the Journal of Kush Ringvoices

16th Granite, 153

I didn't like all the wood lying around outside, it's not entirely safe. Plus it's taking Asob (our carpenter) forever to get anything done - because he has to run up to the surface every time he needs a piece of wood! I told the miners to dig another storage area. Meanwhile, the backlog of bins and beds that Deon ordered is still taking up all of Asob's time, so my screw pumps aren't ready yet, but that's ok. I found some nice rutabaga and some wild strawberries today - but at the end of the day I got such a case of the munchies that I ate all the strawberries! They're my favorite.

14th Slate, 153

Success! The first part of the breaching wall has been built! It was a wonderful day, journal. The men manning the pumps, Asob and I all plan to celebrate later tonight with some of my famous Mountainhome Mombasa. Now let's just hope the damn aquifer isn't more than 3 or 4 spans deep...

(I'll play/post more tomorrow.)

compy286

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 01:08:47 am »

Scribbled in the margins:

I came back, journal, to tell you that I know why we're here. It's like, Armok has a plan for us, you know? And we like, we can't see it yet. But it's profound. That's such a rocky word, dorf, profound. This "truffle" is incredible. It's profoundly incredible. Hehe. I wonder if I can get some cheese from the stockpiles

Stoned dorf?  :P

I found some nice rutabaga and some wild strawberries today - but at the end of the day I got such a case of the munchies that I ate all the strawberries! They're my favorite.

Suspicion confirmed!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:17:52 am by compy286 »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 01:17:24 am »

I'm glad everything is okay! Did you get any troubles? I forgot to tell that I've got a few goblin thieves but they've only managed to kill one poor puppy.

How many dwarves do you have? I've left with 11, because I've got 4 immigrants in the first spring.

How is the archer guy? Was he able to equip bolts? :)

P.S. By the squirrels in the walls, I see that you didn't follow the advice of the correcting the tileset. You can do it any time though :).

1) Open your /raw/objects/ folder of your version you've downloaded from DFFD.
2) Copy all TXT files.
3) Drop them in your /data/save/region1/raw/objects/ folder.

That's why I have so many different download options: all of them have changed symbols in the objects folder.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:19:50 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »

16th Slate, 153

Deon came to see me today and asked how everything was going. I showed him the sketch I made of the progress at the aquifer, and he asked me why there were squirrels in the walls. I told him about my ideas of shoring up the walls with squirrel bones but he didn't think it would work.

23rd Slate, 153

Oh gods, 20 migrants arrived! I don't know what to do with them. I'm going to make notes here to help me figure it out later.

1 Woodworker
1 Woodcutter
1 Stoneworker
1 Stonecrafter
2 Engravers
1 Ranger
1 Metalsmith
1 Weaponsmith
1 Gemsetter
1 Clothier
1 Strand Extractor (good luck, buddy)
3 Farmers
1 Thresher
1 Tanner
1 Herbalist
1 Siege Operator

We're running low on wood as it is, and all of them are going to need beds soon. I hope the caravan arrives... Well, at least there's another herbalist. I can make him focus on gathering food so I can focus on more... esoteric botanical pursuits.

29th Slate, 153

I tried to talk to the military today but didn't have much luck. Zefon Creviceseal, our resident marksdwarf, says our ammunition supplies "don't work for him". I tried telling him to just pick up some bolts and put them in his quiver, but he just stared at me. I don't know why but I'm feeling kind of paranoid lately. I don't like him. I told him to dump the crossbow and wait till we had some more weapons. He shrugged and walked away. One of the other dwarves has a sword and a spear. I asked him to choose one and he ignored me too. I think our military has some mental health problems... I wonder if that's why Deon drafted them?

8th Felsite, 153

A buzzard was causing a commotion on the topside near the tree cutting operations. I ordered the Fresh Mechanisms to kill it. They chased the damn bird all around the site, causing untold interruptions, and nothing was killed. Then a sylvan caravan showed up!

We have nothing to trade but plants, most of which I gathered myself. We're low on drink but I feel we can grow or gather enough plant (and brew enough drink) to survive so I am trading some of our sticky weeds for whatever they have brought. I asked Deon to conduct the trading for me, as I know nothing about negotiation or appraisal, but at the moment he is asleep.

23rd Felsite, 153

Nothing. The elves brought nothing! Nothing but cloth and a few wooden piccolos! And I couldn't even trade them anything because all of our plants are in wooden barrels, which they turn their noses up at. They brought wood too! I dislike the elves.

In other news the military managed to station themselves near the timber operations, but I think that was luck more than my firm direction. I swear journal, all these decisions are weighing on me heavily. I don't know if I can keep this up. I think I'll focus on breaching the aquifer and after that, I'm done. Maybe even before that. If I make it a year I'll be surprised. I'm totally down, dorf. Totally down.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2010, 07:42:38 pm »

27th Hematite, 153

Construction of the breach proceeds agonizingly slowly. I have been manning the pumps myself to keep up morale, but each piece of wall we build takes nearly a month, and we need 36 sections just for the first level. I fear I will not be able to complete within the year I have alloted myself. I can only console myself with the assurance that no one has died on my watch.

28th Hematite, 153

A fool! I've been a fool!

With all the trees clear cut, we now have enough wood to work on the breach in parallel from four sides. I've ordered the construction of more screwpump components. There is hope yet, journal!

4th Malachite

Rovod has been withdrawn lately, and today he claimed a workshop and began ranting about buzzard leather. I fear for his sanity.

5th Malachite

Oh gods, what have I done? I fear I know what has driven Rovod to his madness. I didn't notice until today, but the thirst came upon me.... WE ARE OUT OF ALCOHOL. With so little wood, the planters used up all the barrels, and the brewers have nowhere to put drinks!!! I found a coil in the still with a few drops of ale in them and slurped them up greedily, but I fear I and all of us will suffer a serious case of drymouth unless emergency measures are adopted. I issued an order that no more barrels are to be used for food, and set the woodcrafters to work producing barrels immediately... hopefully everyone will hold on until the brewers can get to work.

6th Malachite

The drout continues, with morale plummeting, but a small ray of hope shone through. Rovod seems to have begun building something. Perhaps it is a barrel. Meanwhile, still more migrants have arrived. I don't know what is drawing them here! Journal, I feel overwhelmed.

1 Hunter
1 Bonecarver
1 Gem cutter
1 Butcher
1 Brewer (thank Armok!)

There are 42 souls under my watch now. I haven't had "me time" in weeks.

11th Malachite

A few drinks have begun to trickle out of the still. No one is very happy with me, but I think complete disaster might have been averted. In other news, Rovod completed his masterwork - a buzzard leather coat. He has named it Thindefect the Bejeweled Birds. Deon says it's worth about 4400 bucks. It seems kind of plain to me. I guess Rovod likes birds.

12th Malachite

I was too late. We have 34 units of drink now, but one of ours has died. On this day Heyguys Abodolin died of thirst. All the fortress is shooting dirty looks at me. I am horrified it came to this.

(Yeah, I'm having a rough time of it. I feel bad about Heyguys, plus the other two military dwarfs are in danger of tantrums now since they were his friend. The lack of stone and huge influx of migrants threw me for a loop and I totally missed the "no drinks" problem. I'll keep doing my best, though, maybe it makes sense that a stoner dwarf would be a shitty administrator. I'm most of the way through summer now so I should finish up tomorrow and post the save.)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 09:34:17 pm »

25th Malachite, 153

The warriors are throwing tantrums left and right. So far Ineth has only killed someone's pet tortoise, but I fear what his rage might bring. And another dwarf has succumbed to thirst. Rovod died today... it's terrible. We have no stone for coffins, which is only making things worse. I don't know what to do. I ordered a small graveyard area to be placed on the beach southwest of the fortress. It is all I can do for them. The doctor tells me Ushat and Ral are dehydrated. I ordered both to stop working and get a drink immediately, but in his delirium Ral is still furiously constructing barrels. "Never again," he mutters, over and over. No one knows how to stop him. I am drowning in shame. Stupid Kush! Stupid! It's all my fault.

14th Galena, 153

Work on the aquifer is moving faster now. I shall meet my goal of completing the first layer by year's end. I wish my goal had been the happiness and health of my brothers. A wesman caravan arrived, and we still have nothing to trade. With no stone and no ore, there is little for us to make. I shall see what few trinkets we can get for some of our plants.

18th Galena

An ezrakim caravan arrived. The wesman are still here. I do not know how I would trade with both, had I wares to do so. The wesman brought nothing of use. I traded a few plants for some boar meats. I suppose a bit of variety will be nice, but my heart wasn't in it.

23rd Galena

Leather and cloth, nothing but leather and cloth! The ezrakim are as useless as the wesman. Increasingly I find I care about nothing but completing the breach and completing my year of service. Deon was a fool to put me in charge, and more of a fool to leave me. The entire population was unhappy, but with the restoration of the drink stockpile only a few remain so. The rest seem content, and a few are even ecstatic. I have put on a happy face myself, masking my despair. When this is over I shall weep for a month for my failures. I have sworn off advanced botany until such time as I can forgive myself.

19th Sandstone

Winter approaches. The first level of the breach is nearing completion. I found a magic mushroom growing 'neath the mold deposits in the lower reaches, but hadn't the heart to harvest it.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 10:22:58 pm »

22nd Sandstone, 153

The kobolds have become bold. With our military as it stands, I fear for us all should they come in force. Without mechanisms, we cannot build even rudimentary defenses. I may have to seal us in, which would cut off our only supply of wood and plants. I plan to use the aquifer to build more farm plots, should that become necessary.

4th Timber

Urdim Chambermatch, one of our brewers, began muttering gibberish and hopping on one leg today. He has claimed a workshop and refuses to allow anyone near him. What new madness will this bring? Fortunately our drink stocks were built up over the year, and if he does not return to brewing we can survive a time without him.

5th Timber

Urdim has begun screaming for rock. I fear he is lost to us.

16th Timber

Osman traders approach. Armok send they have brought some rock, any rock. I would trade a year's supply of Nist Akath chronic for a few pieces of feldspar.

17th Timber

Praise Armok! Our brothers from the mountainhome have arrived as well! Surely they will carry some suitable dwarven trades! We have only a few roasts to trade, but we can make due if only they have stone. Then too, it will be good to see a face unladen with accusation and grief.

20th Timber

Lor met with the outpost liason today. I told him to order everything under the sun. Whether we shall be able to pay for it next year is doubtful, but whoever holds this cursed post can decide from a wide choice. I ordered weapons grade metal, stone and stone blocks, cloth, drink, weapons and armor, as well as some miscellaneous goods such as glass, charcoal, and wood. I also ordered as many barrels as they can bring.

scribbled in hasty scrawl

Oh no... an ambush! Orcs... I shall have to mobilize the entire populace... if this is my last note, forgive me!

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »

So... the orcs breathe fire huh?

They completely overran the entire fortress. 43 dwarves and all the animals slain. There were no survivors. I have a save from 22 Sandstone (mid-autumn) prior to the ambush (actually there were 2 ambushes, for extra fun), but with the military as buggy as it is I see no choice other than to completely seal ourselves off from the outside world. Should I upload this save somewhere or try to finish the year with no contact outside?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 07:54:08 am »

Did you buy stones and build mechanisms for drawbridges? That was the plan, to wait until we get metals for more military. Station your crossbowdwarves on the walls and shoot them. I've managed to make them to shoot, you need to assign ammunition under "f" menu (m - military , f - ammunition).

Also if the traders didn't bring rock... That would suck. I ordered it for the maximum price.

How many crossbowdwarves do you have? I would recommend 8-10 out or 43 dwarves.

So... the orcs breathe fire huh?
Only orcish shamans. And they are rare, and goblins are more often than orcs.

P.S. I haven't tried to play my own mod in such harsh conditions before (no rocks for catapults or traps), so it may be too much :).

I was able to survive orcs with a few aspid/obsidian dwarves as axemen though. Did you get any steel dwarves?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:01:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 09:51:20 am »

Nobody brought any stone. There was only cloth, wood, and meat. I assigned some ammo, but the xbow dwarf wouldn't pick it up. Anyway I think you ordered it from the dwarves, and they don't come until the end of autumn - right when the twin orc ambushes show up.

I can't build any traps or drawbridges because we don't have a single piece of stone, and I personally can't get the military to do shit. Even if I could we have no metal for weapons or armor or bolts. Wooden bolts are not gonna stop those things. I'm not sure about what types of dwarves we got, I didn't actually check each one.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

22 Sandstone, 153

By the unholy beard of Holistic Detective, I have never had a worse trip. I went back for the mushroom. I shouldn't have, I know, but the rambling pages before this entry detail the wages of my sin. In my hallucination the orcs overran us. It was... terrifying. Horrendous. I will not allow that to happen. I am sealing us in.

10th Timber

Work continues, though with few raw materials many dwarves complain of no work. I hope to abate this soon. In other news, our stonecrafter Kol Tangledoil has claimed a workshop for the construction of an artifact. He is demanding stone and metal. I don't know what to tell him.

16th Timber

An osman caravan has arrived. I dare not open the walls to trade with them. If my vision holds true, it would risk all our lives for little more than useless cloth.

17th Timber

The caravan from The Coal of Love has arrived. They have stone we badly need, but the orcs... they will all die. I have seen it. Armok has made me a prophet, but in his judgement I must fall short, for they will not heed the warnings I shout from our walls. I beg them to flee, but they flex their whips and brandish their swords and call me coward.

23rd Timber

Praise Armok! The ambush came, as I foresaw, two of them - but they were mere goblins, not orcs, and the merchant guards destroyed them. I can only think this was the reward for my careful preparation. I am pleased beyond words, and will open the walls for a short time during this respite that we might trade for much needed supplies. One of the more artistic dwarves created a moving picture of the battle out of several sheets of pressed grapeskin, which I have stored in a safe place for later review.

We aquired three metal shields and two scourges from the goblin corpses. There is more iron there when we can melt it down, but for now I have left it where it fell.

24th Timber

I traded some roasts and white wine for a piece of granite, another of marble, and a bar of billion. It was all we could afford, and all the merchants could carry. I had thought Deon had begged them for stone, but they brought only two pieces. Still, I have ordered voluminous amounts of material for next year. I pray we survive that long.

24th Timber, Later That Day

Kol took one look at our few meager purchases and grabbed them all, along with several pieces of silken cloth. I tried to stop him but he snarled at me like a feral dog. He has begun making... whatever it is, but if we must wait another year for another piece of stone I fear we will become elves, or some other horrific fate.

4th Moonstone

Kol finished his work today. He calls it Violentglimmer, a marble scepter. Deon told me it was worth 19200, but that we cannot trade it for more goods. I understand. Despite our dire straits, this is truly a magnificent artifact, and it must be kept for our children's children. It is encrusted in granite and sports menacing spikes of marble and billion. He decorated it with silken images of mountains and the scepter itself. An interesting artistic statement. He is ecstatic, and I am glad for a small bit of happiness. Perhaps my governance will not end in death and madness after all.

11th Opal, 153

FINALLY!!!!!

The worst is past, I have completed the aquifer breach, and before year's end as well! The layers below are dry, and we have rock! Bauxite, chalk, and coal! This year has been a sore trial, but in accomplishing this I feel truly gratified. There has been sorrow and triumph, and now there is satisfaction. I shall still feel the bite of my failures, but in this I know I have truly accomplished something of value for the fortress. The dwarves around me give me grudging nods of respect; they too know that no great achievement comes without sacrifice. This is only the beginning for Angkor Vath.

8th Obsidian

We have begun producing mechanisms and rock crafts. When next year comes, I expect our fortress to be able to trade, and to be well protected. There is a smart, talented dwarf who has begun calling himself "Krimson", and Deon tells me he will be taking over my responsibilities come spring. I will be well pleased to turn them over. This is my last entry, journal, as director of Angkor Vath. I'm going now to have the miners build me a bedroom.

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 03:11:24 pm »

Ok, here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2359

It's 23rd Obsidian, a week before spring. I stopped a week early because a nord caravan arrived and I thought the next player might want to decide what to do with their wares. There's a few chalk trinkets and mechanisms for trade, as well as food and plants.

Kush has his room, it's in a bituminous coal vein a few floors below the breach. All he has for now is a bed and some doors, but if possible I'd request some nice furniture and maybe a statue for him, if anyone feels like he beat himself up a little too hard.

The aquifer work area is still littered with pumps and wooden walls; these can be deconstructed to reclaim the wood and the enormous screws.

The fort is currently sealed by a wooden wall around the entrance, and there's one big burrow called "inside" spanning most of the built areas.

There is no military to speak of, if we can get a metal operation up and running the next player might want to focus on that, and definitely on building some trapped and drawbridged entrances.

Good luck!

compy286

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 04:57:21 pm »

Awesome job!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:38 pm »

So it's Krimson's turn. Which tileset do you use?

Awesome work with the aquifier breach etc.. You're a real man! No , you're a real dwarf! :)

Cool, the newest one has the buildings but not the plants, ty ^^
The excel document has "pages", click on the one called "plants" to bring up plants.

P.S. Oh it's gold-plated... I will prepare a save for you within an hour.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:09:18 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Krimson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 08:10:57 pm »

Please skip me,  unfortunatly I dont find myself playing DF the past few days.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9