Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Angkor Vath (Succession, Genesis mod) - turn 3  (Read 10091 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Angkor Vath (Succession, Genesis mod) - turn 3
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:05 am »

Wow, it looks like a bloody thing. I will definitely want to try to bring it up when the turn queque cycles to me.

And I am still alive? How... random! :D.

Exp. leader/mayor are elected so you should get one within the year.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2010, 02:13:53 pm »

Breaking news, Deon: you are melancholy Insane; and compy is tantruming.

It is 8th of Late Autumn 154.

I won't rename any dwarves until migrants arrive; since from my perspective the existing dwarves are all entirely doomed. I am sort of hoping that they will all die by spring; but I know that they will survive.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

Heh, do not rename me, let me die like a real dorf ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2010, 05:33:46 pm »

Too late (meaning that what you mentioned has already happened), you died and are buried within the mausoleum. Compy is strangely bugged. He is melancholy, but he continies to follow his patrol routes.

It is 17th Early Winter; food stocks still high. Temple construction is delayed by the death of all our miners; difficulty of making new picks (due to the constant replenishment of our supply of beserking dwarves); a new seperate megaproject has been designated (more on this later)

I am working on getting new picks.

No new migrants have arrived so storytelling is not starting yet. Spring should be when you expect this. At any rate I count these seasons as finishing out the previous turn before starting my own.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 05:37:53 pm by heyguys »

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2010, 06:38:39 pm »

new picks are made. an armed axedwarf went beserk and is presently decimating the population. We are down to 12. I am not particularly unhappy about this turn of developments; even though I cannot DO anything about it even if I wanted to.

edit: it is 2nd late winter

edit: I went to dinner and it is now mid-spring. We remain at a static 12 dwarves and all tantrums and bezerking has ceased. This leads me to believe that at least some of the surviving dwarves have become hardened. No new Migrants; yet. I will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:34:47 pm by heyguys »

compy286

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 11:51:29 pm »

Who are the remaining twelve?

Also my dwarf would be still following his patrol route out of guilt I think. He's waiting for the moment to die in battle to end the despair he feels.

He's pretty sure that this is all his doing and has nearly wiped out the population with lack of proper planning.

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2010, 12:50:33 am »

None of the remaining twelve are named or really all that notable. I really havn't bothered to check since my game runs time rather slow as it is, and micromanaging the dwarves that will just tantrum anyway makes it slower. Anyway, here is the promised story update:

This diary, along with hundreds of other artifacts was discovered by a wesman adventuring party at the ruins of the Redcaverns of Hatred in 617.

"Diary Of HeyGuys II, NewCrew 2
28th Slate, 155

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Despite the danger", is certainly one way of putting it; but we are here under direct orders from Doren Keskalil, General of the Coal Of Love, the second most powerful dwarf in the empire, and King Kogsak Ilushmorul's most trusted adviser. Needless to say, to fail to obey orders would be a death sentence more horrible than any trifle dangers we might face at the Redcavern of Hatred.

Initially, our mission was fairly simple: arrive at redcaverns, seize control the fort, prepare a massive defensive installation from which to combat all of the Empire's enemies at once in a decicive battle that would end with the victory of our empire and glory of our King.

In theory, the groundwork should have been laid in the preceding years, and we would merely need to command the dozens of dwarves already at the site to complete the fortifications and then spark a war with all of the neighboring nations.

Things, well, do not always go as planned.

As for me? I am called HeyGuys. HeyGuys II here at Redcavern. It is not a name, as such, nor a family title. Rather it is the codeword used to designate the General's hand picked team of secret dwarves, dedicated to implementing his will. I am the second such agent sent to Redcavern, we recieved word of the death of the last from the dwarven caravan of last autumn.

As I said, things do not always go as planned. When we arived at the site, we found a smoldering corpse strewn hole in the ground, unfit to be called an outpost of our great Dwarven Empire. Most business is conducted in the dirt, the defenses are entirely inadequate, and it is depopulated.

The remaining twelve or so dwarves have a deadened look that some in my team find mildly alarming. I asked the first dwarf that I came upon to appraise me of the details of the situation. Apparently some sort of catastrophic riot had occured that resulted in the madness or death of well over half of the fort. I did not ask for details, surmising from the surroundings the generality of the situation. It was not difficult to convince the dwarves present to obey my orders, due both to their mental deadening and the fact that the entirety of the existing power heirachy had apparently died off in the riots of 154. They go about their duties, seprated into "guilds" and such. I cannot help but feel something unusual is about them.

Some time later I found out what it was. The survivors here apparently worship a caged FireBird that had been brought here along with one of the convoys. They seem to believe that should they aquire a mating pair of firebirds then all their problems will be solved forever. Silly superstition. Apparently they had previously tried to construct a temple to this being in the depths of their catacombs, but engineering mistakes resulted in a non-dangerous flood that was sealed off.

I have informed the remaining dwarves that they are now to follow my orders. They agreed, but tentatively contingent on my promise to construct a proper temple for their God. Naturally, I agreed. This is a trifle compared with the task I have set them out to accomplish first. And in either case, if any temple is to be built at all, it should be no greater than the temple that should be built to honor our God-King first.

I am entirely unsatisfied with the existing fort, and have laid down the plans to construct a far greater, seperate one. The palisade should be complete soon. I intend to construct an above ground castle and defensive structure within the palisade, to protect some courtyard land and perhaps a few above ground farms. The entrances will be defended by two retractable bridges and a myriad of traps; and that would be before the army I intend to build.

Underneath this construction, I have designated a 3 z-level empty space (As much as possible before the aquifier) that will be walled and floored with stone. Inside of it I will construct a dwarven village. Below that I will pump a hole through the aquifier from which to gather the necessary stone.

These are my plans for this year. Should I succeed; we will have a fully defensible installation from which to accomplish our empire's broader strategic mission.

In order to confuse any potential goblin assasin, I have designated myself the second in command of our migrant expedition, currently named "NewCrew", since I expect that this would be an innocuous title for a group attempting a plan so great and so bold.

I will write again when Next I am able.

- Heyguys (The Second)"

Okay, there are about 10 or so dwarves in this migrant wave that could be named. They don't have much skill and have all been set to do identical tasks, so I won't bother to post details of each. Post and I will Dwarf you if possible.

I'll update like this again when I have more to tell you (probably just before aquifier pumping)

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2010, 12:50:45 am »

Really it's Deon's fault for putting a bunch of noobs in charge, but I guess the dwarves of Angkor Vath have serious guilt complexes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2010, 08:07:29 am »

Nah, we need to make a fortress dedicated to Armok. Many deaths only please him! You do a great job.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2010, 04:47:27 pm »

Dwarf-at-arms TALLPANZER reporting for duty, Mr. Heyguys Sir!
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

heyguys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »

Tall, I dwarfed you as a military squad. For the reasons you will find out about; I do not rate you a high survivability probability.

...Continued from last pages...

"21st Limestone, 155

Ustuth Udosast, a member of our expedition has spend the last few weeks crafting masterwork leather armor. He has made dozens of such suits already; I presume they might be useful as trade goods in the future. I would not know, I have been ignoring all visiting merchants since I have taken power. Almost the entirety of the population has been mobilized to labor for the construction of the NewFort. Ustuth has been acting strangely (fey) lately; he tells us that he has begun the masterpiece of his life.

Eh. Okay. Back to work.

Well, at least it has some historical value... BUT IT IS AN ARMOKDAMN SHOE. MAKE ME AN AXE.

10th Timber, 155

Preliminary work on NewFort has been completed. So far it has mostly been constructed out of wood because of the lack of stone and my complete disinterest in further digging within the Old Fort.

Outside farms are walled off, a moat has been dug with a double drawbridge defense system, and two emergency bridges. A small castle has been constructed. A small secondary structure to contain the bridge levers has been constructed. A larger building intended to later hold a food stockpile has been constructed. Much still needs to be done, but we need to get stone from beneath the aquifier.

Our mechanism for doing this are eight screw pumps. They are not terribly efficient, but the set up does work. It will just take some time to get walls up to hold the water. I was inspired for the system loosely based on the system that was used to dig the fist hole in OldFort. Actually I just dissassembled the old pumps and moved them.

The dwarves sent down to build the walls tend to flop about and are horrible at working... but I calculate that EVENTUALLY they will finish.

17th Timber, 155

A Goblin Ambush. It is not particularly dangerous to me personally. I assume that they will attempt to attack the OldFort as they usually do. This is the third such attack this year. We may face a seige soon. The problem is that aside from the bridges, NewFort is entirely undefended. However, since there are no rooms or stockpiles there anyway I hope that they will just attack the trade depot and be driven away by the merchants as they usually are.

I have ordered the continuation of the project and no modification to the operation of the fort. Hoping that somebody else will take care of the problem.

If I survive I will write again when I am able.

compy286

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2010, 01:38:13 am »

I like the NewFort. Looks good!

compy286

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2010, 09:06:17 am »

Also, If we're not all dead soon, could you name two dwarves for me? One male named Mickey and one female named Lainey. If you don't think it's worth it or don't feel like it don't worry about it. Thanks!

Any workers will do BTW.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

We should make the old fort into a graveyard/tomb site later :P. And call it "Necropolis". With a statue on top of it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2010, 12:01:24 pm »

What's going on? Whose turn is it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9