Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning Scales into Shells?  (Read 722 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Turning Scales into Shells?
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:34:32 pm »

Third strange mood in my fort, and my carpenter wants shells. I don't have shells; there are no fish on my map. I do have cave crocodiles however, and I do have cave crocodile scales. I figured this should be an acceptable substitute, so I tried to mod it so dwarves could use scales as shells. I went into material_template_default and added [SHELL] to the end of the scale entry, but it doesn't seem to be working. I did make sure to change the raws in the save folder, and not in the main folder. Anyone know whi it's not working?

Alternatively, is there any way to cheat my carpenter out of needing shells? He's rather inexpendable... I need beds for all my migrants.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turning Scales into Shells?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:26 am »

Modify one of your domestic animals, or available wildlife to have shells as body parts, then butcher them.

Check the modding folder, IIRC, you need to make three entries to the creature definition so it give shells when butchered.

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:08:20 am »

I went into material_template_default and added [SHELL] to the end of the scale entry, but it doesn't seem to be working.

This should work.  However, it won't affect existing shells you have lying around, only new shells you get from butchering or killing living creatures.  I've never actually tested this with scales, tho, only hooves.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:12:10 am »

I went into material_template_default and added [SHELL] to the end of the scale entry, but it doesn't seem to be working.
  However, it won't affect existing shells you have lying around, only new shells you get from butchering or killing living creatures.

Oh, so that was the problem. Thanks!
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.