Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Feasability of Oceanfront Fort  (Read 3853 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Feasability of Oceanfront Fort
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:45 pm »

No, my dwarves fill the perpetual motion machines with water from murky pools, and the water in the DWR isn't labeled as murky or polluted...

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 12:09:45 am »

Ocean forts lag, keep that in mind. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 02:25:34 am »

If it's anything like my latest fort, the wagon will end up on the beach: don't deconstruct it until it's fully unloaded.

Took my dwarves the whole of spring to grab all the food barrels that were being pushed around by the waves...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 03:15:36 am »

Hi!

Given that you need water only when you a) don't have any drinks or b) have resting dwarves, the desalination problem is actually a question of whether you need it.

Having no drinks is actually no problem. Setting up farming early and dedicating a dwarf to brewing should easily keep your stock piles full enough to avoid any crisis (if need be, increase embark points a bit for some extra barrels of dwarven rum).

About having resting dwarves, I am not absolutely sure. I think I heard rumors about resting dwarves receiving alcohol when 31.01 came out, but I have not confirmed that. However, mobile resting dwarves do at times get up and drink by themselves (that, I have witnessed myself). So, if the health care system was indeed not absolutely dependent on water, salt water may actually not be so big a problem.

Deathworks

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 04:30:36 am »

In my .31.03 ocean fort, I irrigated all my farms by draining a murky pool (assumedly saline), and just built a well above a second murky pool. Nobody seems to care, either way. I haven't got any bad thoughts from salty water.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 05:58:51 am »

If you have enough booze the dwarves won't drink from the well anyways. Have you seen any dwarves actually drink from the well?

Also salty water muddies farms fine.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 06:05:51 am »

As a side note, in the last version, constructing anything (floor, wall, STOCKPILE) on the beach removed those tiles' ability to have waves move across them. This is useful, but also annoying. I haven't been able to stand the lag to check whether this holds true for the new version, but looking at the changes doesn't seem to have it changed.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 06:31:11 am »

I'm currently running oceanside fort. Water outside is salty, water in caverns are fresh. Plenty of fish to catch, no mermaids.

DO NOT DIG WHERE THE OCEAN WAVES ARE RUNNING. I lost a shaft to this. Waves bring water, slowly, but steadily. Also you have to protect any workshops in this area by small patches of wall ("Urist McCleaner cancels Clean fish: Dangerous terrain").
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:04 am »

In 40d I believe it was all or nothing as far as salinity of the water. But I wonder if in the new version the cavern layers have fresh water...
Nope, any salt water = all salt.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 06:38:02 am »

In 40d I believe it was all or nothing as far as salinity of the water. But I wonder if in the new version the cavern layers have fresh water...
Nope, any salt water = all salt.

Well, I have dwarves drink water from cavern lake. Or can they drink salty water at all? How do I tell one from another?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:33 am »

In my .31.03 ocean fort, I irrigated all my farms by draining a murky pool (assumedly saline), and just built a well above a second murky pool. Nobody seems to care, either way. I haven't got any bad thoughts from salty water.
I think wells make salty water drinkable.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:52 pm »

Also, I don't seem to be getting any waves. none. nada. no sea life yet either.

sammiched

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 02:45:08 pm »

I'm not entirely convinced that you need to make your cistern out of constructed walls - in my latest fort I have 1 embark tile of ocean biome that has a tiny bit of salt water. I just ran it inland a bit and pump it into a 3x3 area I channeled out straight into the ground, and now my dwarves can use it as a water source zone. No constructed walls, on the same z-level as the original salt water. Maybe it's because I don't have a beach?

I did the same thing with a multiple z-level cistern in 40d as well (on a beach that time), and the water was desalinated just fine. I think we need to apply more science

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 04:27:03 pm »

something's up with ocean's. I got a salt-water warning on my volcanic island, had a rhyolite beach, and no salty water anywhere.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35:39 pm »

you get a salt water warning if you have ANY salt water at all. Oceans included.
Pages: 1 [2] 3