Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leeches, fortifications, and FAIL.  (Read 1348 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Leeches, fortifications, and FAIL.
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »

Apparently fortifications do not stop leech forgotten beasts from breaking into your fortress. At least not underwater. Even if the water is not flowing. I have a flying leech monster at the bottom of my well system. Idrath help us if it decides to come upstairs.

What did I do wrong? How can I stop this happening in the future?

(for reference sake: the inlet for the cave water into my well is a (carved) fortification. The water is all 7 deep. Not flowing. it has been this way since long before the venemous webshooting leech monster slithered its way in)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Leeches, fortifications, and FAIL.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:41 pm »

Things can sometimes glitch through fortifications if pushed hard enough.

Remember:  this thing can FLY.  If there are any places it can get anywhere through the air...

Also, things can move diagonally.  If you've left any diagonal holes it could've easily got through that.

A flying leech monster isn't so bad.  I think they have organs and are therefore killable.  I had at least two 'made of water' monstrosities lurking in my underworld for a while.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:23:45 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:35:33 am »

I usually use a backup wall grate (or two for good measure) after fortification to prevent things slipping in. Not sure if it really works as I've never had anything got pushed through fortifications.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:10:01 am »

Creatures are not being pushed through, they simply ignor the fortification and thus can pass through it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:19:48 am »

Creatures are not being pushed through, they simply ignor the fortification and thus can pass through it.

This.
Like I said. The water was not moving. There was no "pushing" to be had. The thing slipped through my fortifications like they weren't there. Now I have to build a new well. With bars. And grates. AND fortifications. Just to be sure. And even then, who knows? It may not work. I'm not happy not knowing what the heck happened here.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:24:24 am »

Hi!

As far as I know, fortifications in dwarf fortress are the type you see on the top of castles, that is a low wall with higher teeth to take cover behind. As such, these fortifications do not represent a complete, full-height wall which makes them meaningless under water (unless you have an enemy walking on the sea bottom).

Deathworks

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:13:29 am »

Hi!

As far as I know, fortifications in dwarf fortress are the type you see on the top of castles, that is a low wall with higher teeth to take cover behind. As such, these fortifications do not represent a complete, full-height wall which makes them meaningless under water (unless you have an enemy walking on the sea bottom).

Deathworks

Crenellations, and I always imagined the fortifications to be a standard wall but with Arrow Slits cut into them.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:55:26 am »

Hi!

Deathworks

Crenellations, and I always imagined the fortifications to be a standard wall but with Arrow Slits cut into them.

Have to agree with Xzalander here. Fortifications are arrow slits. Even their ascii icon looks like an arrow slit.

Edit: Also...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:12:24 am »

If you really really want to be certain nothing will come out of your well (actually, this was considered the norm in 2D DF), don't use a fortification or grates. Construct a wall there (behind a floodgate) after you've tapped out enough water. When you need to refill the well in several years' time, either do a bucket chain or tear down that wall and lift the floodgate.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:12 am »

Automatic pumps connecting the well to the water source ensure continued filling of the well while preventing stuff from entering it.

Comes with added risk of death by flooding though.

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:48 am »

Automatic pumps connecting the well to the water source ensure continued filling of the well while preventing stuff from entering it.
No it doesn't. The whole reason people use fortifications rather than grates is so that building destroyers can't get through.

Comes with added risk of death by flooding though.
Only if you're doing it horribly wrong.

Here's a method that really is idiot-proof: use water pressure to push water up through horizontal grates. into your reservoir. Since flow can't push creatures upwards and building destroyers can't destroy buildings from below, nothing can get through.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 08:25:21 am »

Here's a method that really is idiot-proof: use water pressure to push water up through horizontal grates. into your reservoir. Since flow can't push creatures upwards and building destroyers can't destroy buildings from below, nothing can get through.

Hey, I'd come 'round to wondering about that one. Thanks for the confirmation it will work. I had grave doubts about my Fortification-Bars-Grate plan, and I am used to monkeying with water pressure from 40d megaprojects.
[/quote]

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:42:25 am »

Hi!

I have never had a creature pass through a fortification, at all, ever.  They're definitely not supposed to be walkable.  The only reports I've had of this happening are things glitching through due to high flow rates.  I've had things STUCK in fortifications, like things get stuck in trees, when they fall in from above;  but they can't leave, you have to deconstruct the fortification to get them out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:44:06 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 11:19:08 am »

I usually use a backup wall grate (or two for good measure) after fortification to prevent things slipping in. Not sure if it really works as I've never had anything got pushed through fortifications.

Though that may not be helpful in this situation because, I believe, forgotten beasts have building destroyer. It may serve to block their pathing and keep them out, though you'd think fortifications should do that as well.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »

Well, it is a leech forgotten beast, so presumably it squeezed through.  I'm inclined to think this is a feature, not a bug.  Of course that's easy for me to say now, but I have been building in fortifications myself, I wanted a castle-type layout both for aesthetics and in case marksdwarfs get fixed, so maybe my turn will come.