Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Repeating Spike Trap Question  (Read 1919 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Repeating Spike Trap Question
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:19:27 pm »

How many per tile would I need for a pool of spike traps to be effective? The way my fort is set up is that I have a double-bridge over an inaccessible pit which I plan on trapping things inside and then spiking the gently caress out of them. I'd use magma, but I want a certain person's corpse as a trophy.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating Spike Trap Question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:27:21 pm »

If you have the materials, you should put as many spikes in as you can. Better to overkill than ... um... not kill?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:06 pm »

If you have the materials, you should put as many spikes in as you can. Better to overkill than ... um... not kill?

Problem is space and time. The pits I have for this are... Large. Something like 20x4, so even one spike per tile is 80 bars!
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »

Meh? It's not like you'll run out.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:56:19 pm »

Meh? It's not like you'll run out.

Well, I could run out of bronze, but I've got plenty of steel. This is true. I figure anything caught down in the pit is trapped anyway, so I might as well go with a low number for now. :|

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:13:23 pm »

Well, you could set up a repeater so that they will keep moving around... or throw cats down every so often to give them something to chase.

And if you make a checkerboard, you reduce the number of spikes by half. 

I suppose one spike per tile works, but it won't be fast... depending on the size of what you're trying to kill, you could create rows and put retracting bridges between the traps. Opening and closing the bridge will shove things around (not mega/forgotten beasts or demons) and let you try to put them onto the spikes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:39:29 pm »

Or one-tile atomsmashers. Or you could hook up a second checkerboard of spikes to an inverter of sorts, one that sends an on signal when the trigger for the first group sends an off signal and vice versa.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 01:30:32 am »

Better to overkill than ... um... not kill?

Wonderful! Also, sigged.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 01:38:49 am »

Make the pit deeper so the fall onto the spikes (nearly?) kills them so you don't have to worry about repeating. Or add water.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 02:45:13 am »

Make the pit deeper so the fall onto the spikes (nearly?) kills them so you don't have to worry about repeating. Or add water.

Unfortunately I can't make the pit any deeper, my fortress is down there. :/ I underestimated how much room I had when placing my fort 30 z-levels underground. I ran into the spoilers after maybe 10 levels, so I had to build up.

I thought of water, and making a floodgate system; putting the bridges back down would trap the water inside, yes?

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 05:26:54 am »

Try this out :D :

Sideview:
X wall, = bridge, # grates, . openspace, _ floor, - pressure plate, O waterpipe IN, o waterpipe out, p/q Pumps, D door, W Watersource with floodgate.

X......==......XXX
W................OqX
X................XpX
X................XqX
X................XpX
X................XqX
X=========XpX
D................XqX
X########XpX
X________-_pqX

Fill the 2nd bridge layer with two Z-levels of 7/7 water from a water source. When they pass over the initial bridge pull a Lever 1. This will drop them into the waterbridge. Most will drown or become unconsious. Pull lever 2. This will close the top bridge and open the water bridge releasing the water into and through the grate level with the unconsious victims on the grate floor.  The water will trigger the pressure plate which will power up the pumps and start recycling the water.

Walk in grab them and dump them in a Holding Pit with no doors and a single Floodgate exit which leads back up to the surface... via a Labyrinth of Spiketraps, hatch traps, and Support traps.

If any do try to get out theyll head straight for your bridge again.... >:D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:28:44 am by Xzalander »
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 06:20:35 am »

It's a times like this that I wish one day we'd get to build slippery slopes or whatever can be used to 'funnel' down mobs from a large area into a small kill zone. Anyway, you probably want 1 steel spike per tile but you can pad the rest out with other spikes I guess - glass maybe?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:18:25 pm »

Spike traps do not work in conjunction with falls like this.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:07 am »

Goblin + 3 or 4 z-levels is going to hurt, spikes or not.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:42 am »

It's a times like this that I wish one day we'd get to build slippery slopes or whatever can be used to 'funnel' down mobs from a large area into a small kill zone. Anyway, you probably want 1 steel spike per tile but you can pad the rest out with other spikes I guess - glass maybe?

I'm using 1 bronze spike per tile; steel takes a while, and I've got a LOT of bronze ready anyway.

This is in conjuction with a drowning trap, retracting bridges, and lots and lots of weapon traps armed with big steel [I do have a little steel afterall] saws and axeblades. This fort was built to take down a single demon, though. The leader of the local goblin civ that wiped out my previous fort.
Pages: [1] 2