Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: TOME4 Released.  (Read 9430 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: TOME4 Released.
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 04:17:25 am »

A fresh new start, new UI..
Looking very promising, and having fun already, playing it and dying.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:02 am »

Seems nice, but the difficulty curve seems a lot harder than in other roguelikes. Like compared to Stone Soup, Adom and Incursion, I die a lot in this game. Often in the very first room I step into. This playing on normal. I think it might be nice if the very beginning would be a tiny little bit easier.

So far I've only got anywhere with Dwarf Warriors. The farthest I got was that I managed to  kill the Shadow and then on way back up, some lousy snakes killed me. No idea how that happened, guess I wasn't paying enough attention to my HP and they got crits in, heh.

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 10:28:50 am »

*ponders why he did not get mail notifications for those new posts ...*

It's hard in the sense taht you cant rush into everything and hope to survive, but you'll soon learn and the first levels will be come much easiers.
(Some people beat it easily now ..  I have got to make it harder ! mouhaha ! ... ;> )

You're right pinning is very powerful, cripple is there for the damage boost and to handle a second foe if needed.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 01:24:09 pm »

Nooooo!!!!!

I finally got a good character, killed old man willow... then a snake wandered up behind me and killed me.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 01:38:32 pm »

I only have the undead race unlocked. Probably because of the number of undead I've been killed by.
Fixed. Actual requirement.
Thanks. I have no idea what the requirements are. I haven't been to the tome forums yet.

And nice to see you back here, DarkGod. Any word on changing either the unknown tiles or the explored-but-unseen floor tiles color? That would make exploring much much easier.

Also, since you're using A* a key to go to the nearest stairs would be awesome. Similar to shift+. (>) could use ctrl+. as default to use A* to go to the nearest downstairs.

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »

That's planned :)

As for the exlpored stuff I'm still pondering :)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 04:39:00 am »

One thing it could use is the ability to split stacks of things in your inventory. If I forage up too many arrows to carry I can only drop the whole stack.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 04:47:37 am »

Ah yes true enough!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 03:45:23 am »

Oh, by the way, disregard that link I gave earlier, I meant to give this one. This is the site I had seen before. It's an encyclopedia of stuff about Tolkien's works.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 03:48:23 am »

I usually use http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page when I want to check something about Arda.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 09:31:32 am »

Yes I have the encyclopedia of arda bookmarked for many years now ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 11:12:03 am »

And yeah guys, it's hard but awesome :).

Some enemies are invisible in graphical mode though (those with gray names have the same color as the background and only visible in the text mode). What a shame.

Also, should I always go into the first dungeon, or are there strategies involving leaving it and going somewhere else?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »

Once I started playing elven archers, the game got loads easier. I'm in the maze now with lvl 14 archer. I kind of think ammo creation is overpowered. It should be nerfed a little. Either only produce very crappy arrows unless the character is carrying arrowheads or something like that (which cost money!) or make it only possible on the outside map. It shouldn't be possible while inside underground dungeon at least.

I've never run out of ammo yet and occasionally I even create some very high-quality arrows. It is simply loads easier to play archer than a melee dude.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 12:47:11 pm »

You say that because you've never made an undead berserker. ;)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »

The only classes I've gotten very far with are halfling rouges and skeleton fighters. The rouges can have two magic weapons at once, anf the skeleton fighter... by level 4 I have 28 strength/dexterity/constitution and over 300 HP.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5