Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: At what point in a relationship do I say "I have serious mental problems"  (Read 4491 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The backstory. I am some shy, socially awkward high school student that no one has any good reason to care about. I have had Paranoid Schizophrenia for over a year now but let it get worse over the course of 6 months without treatment. I have only suffered 1 "mental breakdown" and that was caused because I cannot handle being in a school environment for a long period of time. When I did take a full day of classes I was constantly paranoid, having hallucinations, and suffered from the odd almost-delusion that the guy next to me wanted to kill me. When the breakdown happened I got delusions such as the people around me were Free Masons and were watching my every move, that the FBI was outside my door, ect., I was constantly depressed and seriously considered offing myself. Hallucinations were abundant and paranoia was constant. I could not function at all. Every time I tried to do anything hallucinations would harass me, I would start freaking out because something horrible was going to happen, what this horrible thing was I never knew, but it was going to happen and I was convinced.
I've had severe anxiety issues since 7th grade. When they were at their worst in the beginning I had to live through a half a year of school with the doctors reluctant to say it was a mental problem and I was never treated for it until mid-summer before my 8th grade year. I have to carry around a drink with me constantly as a "safety blanket" and when going to any social outings I have to take an Ativan(Lorazepam)/anti-anxiety pill.

But on a brighter side, in the last few days I have became increasingly social and less shy for absolutely no reason at all. One day I just woke up and started talking to people. This made me wonder, if I got into a relationship with a girl, at what point do I mention that I my reality isn't the same as hers or anyone elses. That I live in a world where I can turn the corner and my worst nightmare is staring me in the face or a friendly talking tree wants to hug me.
I figure that my anxiety can be explained very early on, before I even get into a relationship. But what do I say about my Schizophrenia. I don't want to scare them away but I feel that they need to know because, for example, today I almost told a girl I was talking to that the fire hydrant running around was kind of scary. I caught myself before I said anything luckily enough.

I have been told I need to keep it as a secret for as long as possible and I have been told to tell them as soon as I get into the relationship. Oh, and I know that high school relationships don't matter but I think it would be good practice and it would really help me out mentally, well maybe not the breakup, but I will have to learn to deal with that either way. And I guess this question could apply in real-world relationships because mental illnesses are a very serious matter.

Pathos

A friend of mine who is a schizophrenic (not paranoid) just comes out and says it. No one seems to mind, but that might just be because she's otherwise the most mentally balanced person I've ever met. Also, female and confident. The more confident you are, the less likely people are to take the piss out of you, at least to your face.

You might like to stop feeding your paranoia with the idea that people will judge you for your schizophrenia. It won't REALLY matter as people will judge you for pretty much ANYTHING in secondary school. You might like to attend schizophrenic groups as a way of understanding your condition really isn't that rare.

There's one thing you can hope for, though, and that's that people don't confuse you with having multiple personality disorder. That's the troublemaker.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you're not just paranoid, you worry mad hard.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

Be open abaut it and tell her before anything even starts. and doont wory abaut it.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Be open abaut it and tell her before anything even starts. and doont wory abaut it.

What he said.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I knew a PS who didn't come off as strange, and if he hadn't had said anything about it, I'd assume he didn't have it. Acting like people are judging you for it will open yourself for targeting, high school or not. People treated me poorly in high school (for nerdiness) but it was because there was an invitation to it.
Out of high school, it's not a problem, since I don't exhibit that behavior.

Announcing that you have Schizophrenia will not alienate you from others, especially if you don't base your outward persona around it. Now, saying "I have Schizophrenia. Caw Caw! Caw Caw!" while flapping your arms around would attract some attention.

It shouldn't be a problem unless you make it a problem.
(anxiety sucks)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

No matter when you choose to do it, make sure you're inside of her at the time.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Don't do that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pathos

/agreed

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile

Tell her straight away, if she sacks you because of that she is not the one.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Pathos

I'm sure she won't judge you.

But, be warned, all I know about sex and women is from TVTropes.org, so there's no guarantees here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Do NOT tell her straight away. Wait until you have at least a semblance of intimacy. Not because she might or might not freak out, but because quie frankly I dont see the point in airing your health historial to the whole world. I would tell you the same if instead of mental problems you had Crohn, or an ascended testicle.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something i learned from scrubs (though i have never actually put it into practice):
You have to doll out the crazy in little chunks. You cant just throw it out there in one go or you'll scare them off.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

Do NOT tell her straight away. Wait until you have at least a semblance of intimacy.

In this case, 'semblance' means 'the instant before orgasm'.

Like 'oh god, oh god, oh - I HAVE SERIOUS MENTAL PROBLEMS AAAAAH'.

'Was it good for you?'
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

His constant delusions of danger and attack from the government and secret occult conspiracies makes me think he might in fact be a Fox news anchorman.

Also, Grakenlin, you are a magnificent bastard.
Pages: [1] 2 3