Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: random fps [0.31.03]  (Read 604 times)

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
random fps [0.31.03]
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:42:15 pm »

So ya, I've been getting some pretty random fps. At the moment I'm fluctuating between 30 to 90 fps!? Its pretty erratic too.  Any one else getting this or know what I could do to fix it?   
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: random fps [0.31.03]
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:46:59 pm »

So ya, I've been getting some pretty random fps. At the moment I'm fluctuating between 30 to 90 fps!? Its pretty erratic too.  Any one else getting this or know what I could do to fix it?   

Lower your upper fps limit to 30. That should eliminate the fluctuation.</witty>
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:51 pm »

That... That is not a good solution.
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 06:24:39 pm »

That's one of the reasons I had for suggesting it.
Now on a more serious note: can you think of anything... periodic, possibly related to large amounts of water or magma that goes on in your fortress? Maybe a door opening for a moment that makes many dwarves at once path to some items that wouldn't normally be accessible? I don't think the game would do something like this without a reason, so there is probably something largescale going on in your fortress that makes the FPS drop occasionally.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:49:33 pm »

Well I'm not doing anything with fluids at the moment. I have been getting periodic can not complete task location/item inappeasable messages.  Also a horse got in my fort a lil bit after it left the fps was still sporadic.  My layout is rather simplistic and I'm not using burrows or anything so I don't think pathing is the cause. especial since I only have 17 dwarves.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:08:34 pm »

You might want to consider uploading the save somewhere so various people can take a look at it.

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

well what ever it was it seems too have went away. Kinda. I betting on some weirdness in the caverns. 

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46:58 pm »

Is the fluxing of "FPS" consistent with fluxing CPU usage?

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:21 pm »

Is your fort usually sealed off from the outside world?  It might have been a goblin ambush or two that was invisible and eventually they went away.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:17:25 pm »

Sounds like an intermittent burst of path-finding going on. Ambushes spawning, or lots of dwarves taking similarly distanced jobs all at once.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.