Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Solved] Grisly decor and butchery  (Read 980 times)

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
[Solved] Grisly decor and butchery
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:53 pm »

So I've built a rather efficient abattoir around the entrance to my fortress.  A nice long hallway with sewn images depicting dwarves, roaches, and cheese as well as fine statues all leading up to the rotating serrated steel blades.  It even boasts kaolinite walls and floors so that it doesn't show blood stains.

I just ran my first couple goblin ambushes through it and now I'm left with a lot of mangled flesh, bone and detritus lying around jamming my precision machine.

Can the butcher use goblin flesh? I would think nothing says loving like goblin intestine biscuits from the oven.  Can I fill barrels with goblin blood to display to would be invaders? Or can you even bucket up blood and make a bloodfall with a mist generator? Can I at least use the goblin bones for deocrating crafts and making bone bolts?

It looks like all bones can be used for crafting and armor, do I just need to make a garbage dump next to a carftdwarf's shop and pile the remains up?  And would goblin bone gaunlets or greaves be a waste of armor space on my militia?

I know I'm being a a bit macabre, but I just feel good seeing those green bastards fall after early ambushes have taken three of my starting forts in 2010 (I tried military instead of traps first, big mistake...)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:56:19 pm by Gutierrez »

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grisly decor and butchery
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:44:35 pm »

Goblin bone is used for everything. Every artifact after the fist siege in my fort is inlaid with goblin bone. Not sure if it can butchered though. Put in some cage traps and test the execution towers.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grisly decor and butchery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:49:13 pm »

Dwarven ethics are that they won't eat sapient creatures, which includes goblins. Buckets or barrels of blood are also off the list - as far as I know there's no way for dwarves to collect blood, even though traders bring it.

Goblin bone can be used for crafts, bolts and armour, but bone armour is unlikely to be much use with the new materials system: it won't be much defence against even the weakest metal weapons, but it's better than nothing if you don't have much metal yet.

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] Grisly decor and butchery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:00:37 pm »

Understood. Goblin bone should be strictly for decoration and practice bolts.  Do craftdwarves merely grab the nearest item to decorate?  I'd love to be able to decorate the plate mail and weapons of my militia in the bone if possible.

And in the meantime I'll just dream of the day you can fashion goblin bone into goblin bone blocks and build a massive tower from the remains of your enemies.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

And in the meantime I'll just dream of the day you can fashion goblin bone into goblin bone blocks and build a massive tower from the remains of your enemies.

I am pretty sure that with a custom reaction this would totally be possible right now...

* gtmattz goes off to try stuff
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:43 pm »

I am pretty sure that with a custom reaction this would totally be possible right now...

Don't forget a skull->skull block reaction so you can pave your entryway with the skulls of your enemies.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:19:28 pm »

Understood. Goblin bone should be strictly for decoration and practice bolts.  Do craftdwarves merely grab the nearest item to decorate?  I'd love to be able to decorate the plate mail and weapons of my militia in the bone if possible.
Welcome to the concept of a sealed decoration workspace, now even easier than before thanks to burrows:

0) Define an enclosed space - either by burrows or the old fashioned way with a small room to which the craftsdwarf locks himself in via a lever-operated door.
1) Set a refuse stockpile and make it only accept goblin body parts.
2) Build a craftsdwarfshop next to it.
3) With stockpiles or quantum dumping, gather what you want to decorate next to the workshop.
4) Seal off the space (with a crafter inside) so other items don't get considered.
5) Get to work with those bones.

Mind, since your militia have already equipped those items, you'll have to go through the extra trouble of getting them to let go of those items. Probably via swapping their uniforms temporarily.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.