Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How do I make custom candy?  (Read 3580 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
How do I make custom candy?
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:44:28 am »

Indeed, indeed. I want to make hard candy to fit a custom shape and I need to know how to make the molds and candy. It's not flat at one end, either, so it'll be more difficult... Online tutorials don't help much. What do you suggest?

BRAINSTORMING STATUS: DONE
Making the mold: Done. Buy a commercial mold.
Making the syrup: Done. Use recipe from the all-knowing internets. There is no way this will go wrong.
Candy molding: Done. Two halves, glue together w/ moar candy.

CREATING STATUS: 0%
Purchasing supplies: 0%
Making prototype: 0%
Mass-manufacturing halves: 0%
Making candies: 0%
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:32:31 pm by Cheddarius »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make custom candy?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »

1 l suggear, 1 l cream, 1 l syrup. boil(?, without water) testing the consictency by ocationaly dripping a little in a bowl of cold water. Then it's a proper softness for molding/eating take it of and let it cool. then just make the shapes by hand like it was clay.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:48:37 pm »

Wait what
That is so much money

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »

Give more details about your project goals.  What, precisely, do you intend to make?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:33 pm »

I want to make a molded hard candy in a certain shape. It looks like the emerald on the left here:

From above, it looks the same as the Old Single Cut here, but rectangular instead of square:

I want it to be sweet, perhaps cherry flavored, but it doesn't really matter.
I also want a repeatable mold that can be used over and over again to make the exact same shape that is basically perfect (symmetrical along vertical and horizontal axes and from side, etc.)

Do you need any other information?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:44:59 pm by Cheddarius »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:52:35 pm »

how smooth does the surface need to be.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 06:54:46 pm »

Very smooth. I want it to be almost perfect if possible.

Pathos

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »

You COULD just find something of that shape, make a mold around it (say with clay, although that might get your sweets dirty) and then use that. But, I don't know.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:57:12 pm »

Yes, that is what I am thinking. But how will I make the mold? Clay does not sound like a good idea.
Also, I'm not sure if I can find something of that exact shape and size - I think I might want to use clay or something for the positive.

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »

Bake the clay, maybe? =p

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:00:53 pm »

Hmmmm... still seems a bit iffy.
In addition, whatever I make the mold out of, how will I fill it (since I don't have one side that's flat)? I've thought of maybe poking in a hole and funneling in the candy, but that doesn't sound like it'd work with the viscous syrup.
Or, I could make the mold, but not have the very highest side... that sounds good?
Or I could make two identical molds, each with one side, fill both, and then put them together.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:03:12 pm »

Hmmmm... still seems a bit iffy.
In addition, whatever I make the mold out of, how will I fill it (since I don't have one side that's flat)? I've thought of maybe poking in a hole and funneling in the candy, but that doesn't sound like it'd work with the viscous syrup.

This is how you do it, usually.  You're going to end up with a bump that needs filing off, though.

Or, I could make the mold, but not have the very highest side... that sounds good?
Or I could make two identical molds, each with one side, fill both, and then put them together.

The latter's going to give you mad irregularity problems, as will the former.  In both cases, you're going to have a similar need to file stuff off once the candy's set.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pathos

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »

I was going to suggest using a single half mold and then "gluing" each half together using mixture.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »

Vector, with the no-highest-side method, what kind of irregularity problems will I get?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4