Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not burying pets  (Read 2900 times)

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
Dwarves not burying pets
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:22:57 am »

(I apologize in advance, english is not my first language)

Two cats (owned by two different dwarves.. well, ok, maybe the other way around) have been killed during the last goblin attack, on the surface outside of my fortress.
I had active at the time the order 'ignore refuse from outside', and kept it on for some days in-game, not wanting anybody to risk their lives outside i even forbid the corpses. When i reclaimed them and changed the order to allow my dwarves to bring' em inside for burial, they still weren't picking them up.
Fearing another ambush, i ended up ordering to dump the cats in the garbage quantum stockpile inside the fortress, to slow down the decay at least. I reclaimed the corpses once again, and they got depositated in a regular refuse stockpile.

The point is: some days have passed, and nobody is burying them.
I had already some coffins with burial enabled, ready to accept only pets, before the ambush. I even built new coffins and caskets, in several materials, in case those i had were bugged.

More details:

- The coffins, neither the material they're made of, aren't forbidden (checked with 't').
- [COFFIN_NO_PETS_DEFAULT:NO] pet burial has always been allowed in the init file during the whole game.
- I got plenty of idlers with burial and refuse hauling jobs activated.
- Both corpses and coffins are fully reachable, no burrow restrictions or closed/forbidden doors/floodgates in the way.
- The corpses themselves aren't forbidden nor rotting yet (with 'k' it just shows as, e.g. 'Ducim Nishdoren's corpse').
- I'm playing an almost vanilla 31.03 fort (i only added the [SHELL] tag to horns and hooves in material_template_default.txt) , and i don't use third party programs.

I ran out of ideas, what should i do to give them a resting place?

Sorry if this has been already answered, i tried searching for it in the forum but i didn't find anything.
Thanks for any help  :)

Collic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not burying pets
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:31:53 am »

This is just a hunch, but are the dwarves who owned them as pets still around? If they aren't then perhaps theyre being treated as normal animal corpses. That would explain why they're being taken to the normal refuse stockpile after you reclaim them.

If a pets owner dies that pet becomes property of the fortress like any other animal, even though they still carry a name.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:43:27 am »

if they are put in the regular refuse stockpile, that means they are being treated as regular animal corpses.  Otherwise they would have been put in your "graveyard" stockpile.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:42 am »

I presume there's nothing wrong with the Standing Orders ('o' menu)?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:37:11 am »

The old 40d had a problem where cats who adpoted dwarves would not get buried in a pet coffin.  Pet cats who migrated onto your map as pets would get buried normally.  It could be that bug was never fixed.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:00:50 am »

Sorry, i forgot to specify. Yes, the two dwarven owners are still alive and kicking.
I didn't have a graveyard stockpile, so i created one; the dwarves even remember to put in it the ear of one of my war grizzlies (amputated 6 in-game years ago), but still ignored the cat corpses.
I reloaded a backup save just before the ambush, and recreated the same situation, this time with a graveyard stockpile ready, and the dead cats still get treated as regular animal corpses.

The old 40d had a problem where cats who adpoted dwarves would not get buried in a pet coffin.  Pet cats who migrated onto your map as pets would get buried normally.  It could be that bug was never fixed.

I'm starting to think it could be this. The cats were, in fact, the couple i've embarked with. I'll test it again with another cat.

EDIT: Eh. I guess i'll have to wait for my test. I reached my population cap, and had no luck getting migrants with cats.
I'm off to give a norse funeral to the poor pets, i suppose.

Thanks again for all the answers!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:14:28 am by Kard »

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:50 pm »

Same problem here. Some of my migrant pets died in my danger room, they were hauled to the corpse stockpile, then buried (after i made some coffins for them), but the cat I came with, who adopted one of my dwarves, has also succumbed to the danger room and has been taken to the regular refuse stockpile. The stupid dwarves won't bury him. I want to avoid bad thought when it decays, so I'm thinking Atom Smasher, but I'm not sure it's the thing to do, does anyone knows if it will work ?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »

I prevent pet corpses from rotting by atomsmashing them.  I'm not sure how the owners feel about it, because I don't care.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »

Ok, i tested it, it works, the Atom Smasher destroyed the corpse and the former pet owner did not get a unhappy thought. Hopefully, i will never hear from this stupid cat again