Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next Question: Lord Spikyhelm Tarquin Tyrinar?

Lawful Good
Lawful Neutral
Lawful Evil
Is a pretty cool guy. Eh trips Haley and doesn't afraid of anything.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Awesome of the Stick [Spoilers, of course]  (Read 13829 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
The Awesome of the Stick [Spoilers, of course]
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:57 am »

I like OOTS. No, I can't get enough of it. So, discuss here!

I'll start by putting out my pet theory about Vaarsuvius from a while back, when he disintegrated Daimyo Kubota.

---

Remember Xykon's crown? The completely ordinary crown that, due to just being worn by a supremely evil lich, had an evil taint so strong that it was capable of making Roy register as evil?

Well, that's not the only thing they looted off Xykon.

They also took Xykon's Ring of Wizardry. V has been wearing it for probably an in-comic year now.

AND IT IS TAKING OVER HER MIND.

Think about it. Sure, it could have been guilt that slowly eroded V's self-confidence and reliance, but that process would be a lot faster if there were a powerful evil-tainted artifact he was using on a regular basis. And if Xykon's wearing a Ring of Wizardry, well, we can assume that it was tainted too - and that could have awful effects on a powerful magical item.

So, part of V's decline into MADNESS is Xykon's ring. And neither she, nor anyone else, realize this.

---

Okay, I guess we can put crackhead conspiracy theories in the OP too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:58:46 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The Awesome of the Stick [Spoilers, of course]
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:44:00 am »

Sure, it could have been guilt that slowly eroded V's self-confidence and reliance, but that process would be a lot faster if there were a powerful evil-tainted artifact he was using on a regular basis.

He? Silly Vester, Vaarsuvius has no gender.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46:33 am »

Sure, it could have been guilt that slowly eroded V's self-confidence and reliance, but that process would be a lot faster if there were a powerful evil-tainted artifact he was using on a regular basis.

He? Silly Vester, Vaarsuvius has no gender.

Hehehe.

I'll start by putting out my pet theory about Vaarsuvius from a while back, when he disintegrated Daimyo Kubota.

AND IT IS TAKING OVER HER MIND.

that process would be a lot faster if there were a powerful evil-tainted artifact he was using on a regular basis.

So, part of V's decline into MADNESS is Xykon's ring. And neither she, nor anyone else, realize this.

:P
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:24:13 am »

Personally, I prefer alternating gender pronouns in that fashion rather than using the clumsy "s/he" or "hir."
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:26:38 am »

They used it in Supergirl: Wings and Miracleman. It was so jarring, I swear. How do you say s/he? And, really, "Hir" is an admirable attempt at gender equality, but it still sounds like "Her", so the guys lose this one.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:33:29 am »

Vaarsuvius is an "it."

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:34:40 am »

In terms of gender? Definitely not. After all, he has a spouse. Therefore she has a preference. The gender itself is what's confusing, and dependent entirely on what V and Kyrie are.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:24 am »

Okay, so. Research & poll time. I'm checking through the entirety of V's attack on Xykon, looking for anything that may betray Xykon's opinion on V's gender. All I've found is that Tsukiko think's V's female. The Monster in the Darkness, on the other hand, refers to V as "Mr. Elf."

EDIT: Found it. "Let's play Hide-and-Seek, just to be sure. I'm 'It.' Actually, so are you, near as I can tell." Xykon holds no opinion.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:55:52 am by Urist Imiknorris »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:53:36 am »

And Lee or Cedric thinks V's a she. So does Sabine.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:21 am »

I just refer to V as male, even though he might not be. Means I don't have to bother around with all this "s/he" or "hir" nonsense.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:39:10 am »

I used to love this, but stopped reading it for a while and now I dunno where I left off.

Starting again is daunting, but I have no idea what happened in it anymore. :(

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43:25 am »

Start from the start. It'll give you something to do for a couple of hours every afternoon. ;D

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:55:10 am »

OP's theory forgets that a detect evil registered her as "Not Evil" while anyone holding Xykon's crown registered as Evil.  The crown may have hidden magical properties that haven't been adequately explored.  Xykon certainly believes that it is a simple non-magical crown, but Xykon has acted as an unreliable narrator before.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 10:57:12 am »

OP's theory forgets that a detect evil registered her as "Not Evil" while anyone holding Xykon's crown registered as Evil.  The crown may have hidden magical properties that haven't been adequately explored.  Xykon certainly believes that it is a simple non-magical crown, but Xykon has acted as an unreliable narrator before.

Shoot.

Well, it could have been something that Rich Burlew forgot. I mean, it stands to reason that if the crown radiated massive evil, other items associated with Xykon would too.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:34 am »

Maybe Xykon didn't have the ring for as long as he had the crown.

Also, V is a guy. Roy knows.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8