Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming in 0.31.03  (Read 1210 times)

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Farming in 0.31.03
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:00:21 am »

HI, I'm wondering if this is normal in 0.31.03. I've got 3 dedicated farmers (in a small fortress of 18 or so), I made five 3X5 plots in a muddied underground room. At first, the growers half-filled the fields with seeds, which looked good. However, about a few seasons later, the fields are empty (no planted crops), there are plenty of seeds/shoots, but the grower are idle and refuse to plant anything. The dwarves are told that only growers can harvest crops. I removed all other jobs that the grower had, to no avail.

Anyone has an idea of what is going on? I've never had this problem in 40d.

Additional note: I'm not sure that this is just a farming thing. I noticed that it takes a long time for my miner to decide to get to work, and this is also true for other workers. Also, weirdly, many of my dwarves are eating in the food stockpile instead of the dining hall. It's like my civ stuck me up with the dumbest dwarves to start an outpost.

Could it be that having my manager and my bookkeeper being the same person is a bad things, as bookkeeping @ highet precision keeps the manager to assign tasks in a timely manner (I'll have to test this tonight)?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:15:53 am by bongotastic »
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming in 0.31.03
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:33 am »

Quick check as you haven't mentioned it: you've got seeds for the correct season and you've selected those seeds for this season, yes?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:06:09 am »

Yes, that would be a good thing to check, but this doesn't seems to be the problem.

I'm trying to get the field fertilized (but no one wants to bother building the ashery right now).

There are no parties, just that they stand idle and do nothing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:17:16 am »

Did you make the field on smoothed floor?  Dwarves will clean mud off smoothed floor, even if there is a farm plot built on it, which will remove the ability of the farm plot to grow anything.

I've had the same dwarf doing both job management and bookkeeping at highest precision for a while, with no apparent ill effects.  It almost sounds like you've got the pathfinding bug, but that was supposedly fixed in 31.03, and is fixed by saving and reloading anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:44:25 am »

Wouldnt the obvious first step be to not try to fertilize?

Also check with the z-stocks menu if the seeds are available (brown) and where they are located (path?)
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:20 pm »

If it's a pathfinding error, I read a recent post by someone that there's a trick with doors that can clear it up.  Don't know what the trick was, of course....
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:28:28 pm »

If it's a pathfinding error, I read a recent post by someone that there's a trick with doors that can clear it up.  Don't know what the trick was, of course....

Lock and unlock any door, but the pathfinding errors should have been fixed in 31.03, iirc.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:47:39 pm »

Wouldnt the obvious first step be to not try to fertilize?

Also check with the z-stocks menu if the seeds are available (brown) and where they are located (path?)

I suggest this, try turning off fertilize since they may be putting in some sort of check, and can't find any fertilizer and subsequently refuse to plant stuff because of it. Sort of like seeing if you have a wagon, then a horse, and because you don't have a wagon, you no longer care about the horse.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »

The fertilization is a good lead. Thanks. I'll try to see if this is the problem and let the thread know. I usually have not bothered with fertilizing so far, so this is something that's different.

I can also try to remove all doors if the fertilization doesn't work.

Thanks all.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 02:23:13 pm »

How about Burrows? Are the seeds and farms in different burrows than your dwarfs?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 02:24:21 pm »

You don't need to remove doors... just: pause game, lock a door, unpause game, tick tick, pause, unlock door. I've experienced this problem in 31.03, although much more rare than in 01 or 02.

Also, there is a pathfinding cache bug, where to reset the pathfinding cache, you need to exit the game, and start a new instance of DF. When you load up your fortress, the dwarves can find paths and get back to work. I've experienced this several times in 0.31.03.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 06:13:25 am »

Argh, I tried to be systematic to diagnose the problem, but nothing worked. In the end, I turned off fertilization, there are no burrows yet, assigned someone else than the manager to be the bookkeeper, DELETED (although not necessary)  all doors to the farm. Nothing is working. This isn't just a farming problem, but it's with farming that it became obvious first that something was wrong. The dwarves seem to be able to perform real passive tasks such as hauling, but that is it. They are standing in the hall or in the food stockpile, being grumpy and thirsty.

To compound the problem, I think that I walled them in inadvertently by building a up ramp where the up stairs were to exit the fortress. I couldn't find a way to remove the stairs, but the game let me build a ramp over them. Unknowingly, this cut off the path for the traders on mules that were already inside. You can see where this is going: I now have about five bloody messes to clean up, and thousands in newly acquired wealth as the raving merchants strewn their stuff all over my top floor, and one real mad civ against my 12 dwarf strong fortress...

Facepalm moment, not even involving magma.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:16:14 am by bongotastic »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:25 am »

The fertilization is a good lead. Thanks. I'll try to see if this is the problem and let the thread know. I usually have not bothered with fertilizing so far, so this is something that's different.
Fertilization does nothing right now.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:23 am »

Argh, I tried to be systematic to diagnose the problem, but nothing worked. In the end, I turned off fertilization, there are no burrows yet, assigned someone else than the manager to be the bookkeeper, DELETED (although not necessary)  all doors to the farm. Nothing is working. This isn't just a farming problem, but it's with farming that it became obvious first that something was wrong. The dwarves seem to be able to perform real passive tasks such as hauling, but that is it. They are standing in the hall or in the food stockpile, being grumpy and thirsty.

To compound the problem, I think that I walled them in inadvertently by building a up ramp where the up stairs were to exit the fortress. I couldn't find a way to remove the stairs, but the game let me build a ramp over them. Unknowingly, this cut off the path for the traders on mules that were already inside. You can see where this is going: I now have about five bloody messes to clean up, and thousands in newly acquired wealth as the raving merchants strewn their stuff all over my top floor, and one real mad civ against my 12 dwarf strong fortress...

Facepalm moment, not even involving magma.
Sounds like you got everything working correctly now.  Good job!
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.