Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small suggestion for booze: Fill up pre-existing barrels  (Read 758 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small suggestion for booze: Fill up pre-existing barrels
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:48:15 am »

I find it incredibly annoying that there are about 4 units of Dwarven wine in a booze barrel, which is surely not the full capacity as I've seen barrels with friggin' 30 items in them, and brewers persist in not using them to make more alcohol.  If it's the same kind of booze as the one in the barrel, I'd like to be able to fill one up, or maybe make a new kind of fill-able barrel called a keg.  Just something to stop me from having to have 50 barrels with contents: dwarven wine 2.
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Small suggestion for booze: Fill up pre-existing barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:32:05 am »

Actually its not the same kind. Any item, even drinks has (among others) the following attributes: A time-stamp, its creators id and a quality (and iirc the shop where its made). Thus stacking additional drinks in one barrel is rather unhandy because you would loose information which might or might not be crucial - or you end up with one mix that has some dozen redundant attributes. I am for mixing "drinks" in one barrel (or even mug) but atm there are some problems with such things that have to be worked out - its on the shedule thought as it seems (see Mixed liquids and flows in the latest df-talk)

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:21 am »

Actually its not the same kind. Any item, even drinks has (among others) the following attributes: A time-stamp, its creators id and a quality (and iirc the shop where its made). Thus stacking additional drinks in one barrel is rather unhandy because you would loose information which might or might not be crucial - or you end up with one mix that has some dozen redundant attributes. I am for mixing "drinks" in one barrel (or even mug) but atm there are some problems with such things that have to be worked out - its on the shedule thought as it seems (see Mixed liquids and flows in the latest df-talk)
You haven't seen the "dwarven fruit punch" bug, have you? This could use that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:22:31 am »

It really depends on what you're looking for as a result.

If you want to take your 5 barrels of Dwarven Rum that each have 2 units of rum, and make a barrel with a single Dwarven Rum of 10 units, you run into the problem Heph described.  If you want it to turn into 1 barrel with 5 entries of 2 dwarven rum, it's like the dwarven fruit punch bug, and it also looks silly.

In either case, an actual definition of how much fits in a barrel would be needed (since right now a drink barrel is 1 stack, with 1 stack being "whatever the still produced").

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:06:25 pm »

But you don't stick different brews into the same container in RL, so this could be thought of as modelling real world behavior.

After all, if you have a barrel full of Dwarven Wine 1054, and you drink half of it, you don't turn around and then top it off with Dwarven Wine 1062. Just be glad dwarves are reusing barrels that are emptied!
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:23:00 pm »

But you don't stick different brews into the same container in RL, so this could be thought of as modelling real world behavior.

After all, if you have a barrel full of Dwarven Wine 1054, and you drink half of it, you don't turn around and then top it off with Dwarven Wine 1062. Just be glad dwarves are reusing barrels that are emptied!

Heh, I don't know, I think there's a spectrum of behavior's here.  Enthusiast's wouldn't mix vintages, but Joe Blo might not know the difference.  I think there could be an Order (iirc, there's already a "mix foods in stockpiles" order, so this would be pretty much the same) allowing or forbidding mixed drinks.  Then, if you mix drinks, you a) lose the "fine drink" modifiers of any drink used in the mix, and b) anyone with the "Prefers to drink X when possible" won't touch the stuff even if their preferred drink is in the mix, and will get an unhappy thought if they have to drink it.  Also, if brewers can produce masterpiece vintages, they should suffer art defacement if such a brew is mixed with other drinks.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:50:37 pm »

Ilmoran, excellent suggestions!
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:51:28 pm »

Well if we add 5 other kinds of rum brown suggar and citrones we could get a fine Zombie (1 of 10 dwarfs gets zombiefied).

What i want to say: Mixing isnt that uncommon for "Drinks" also for whine. For example a mix from red and white-wine can be sold in the EU as as "Rosé" (they are labeled thought as mixed for the wine-lovers). The so called "alco-pop" aka your average wodka or beer (btw. budweiser is czech beer) mixed with *generic-juice/softdrink* is also pretty common.

I also think that collecting specific wines is a rather new habit but i am not sure.

that reminds me that i still have this "Château d'Yquem Sauternes" from 1811 - i think i will open it in the next hour.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »

Dwarves shouldn't mix their alcohol AT THE STORAGE/STOCKPILE because it affects the aging/maintenance of the alcohol, and unrestrained mixing can possibly destroy an edible product.

Dwarves should be allowed to "mix" them for serving to make different recipes for consumption (ie, a "bar" workshop or "kitchen" should be allowed to create mixed alcohol drinks).

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

Did anyone else just get a mental image of a legendary bar inside a legendary dining room?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.