Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having just one eye working should effect vision  (Read 992 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having just one eye working should effect vision
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:35:18 am »

I know you dont throw as good with only one eye and thats in game,

But shouldnt having only one good eye make half your vision go away on the effected side?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Having just one eye working should effect vision
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:10 am »

There is no "affected side," because:

Quote from: Toady One
I'm always wary of a strict facing.  I dislike vision cones and having to change direction manually.  It just doesn't seem that realistic, especially if you are in an alert state.  You have a neck to see all around you, which shouldn't take a turn to move and therefore you shouldn't have to control at all, the ability to use a stance that's more complicated than simply pointing in one direction (for example, how you position your legs can help determine whether you are more prone to being knocked over from the front or from the sides), and the ability to walk in all directions, not just the direction your head/body is facing.  On the other hand, you should be able to sneak up being a lazy guard that's facing away from you (rather than just using a magical sneak mode like we've got now).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:07:49 am »

Hehe. The sneak mode is pretty magical right now.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 07:55:52 am »

The word is "affect." Not "Effect".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:51:52 pm »

Sieg heil!

More seriously, losing an eye should have some penalty besides blood loss and pain, but i'm not entirely sure what the best idea would be.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »

Would losing an eye not, at least at first, make your depth perception less accurate and in turn your accuracy in general especially with bows? With time you should overcome this as binocular cues are not the only cues we use for depth perception. I'm not sure if it's worth representing in game.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:16:03 pm »

Double eye loss definitely does. Someone had a completely blind crossbow dwarf that just shot around him at random.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »

Sieg heil!

More seriously, losing an eye should have some penalty besides blood loss and pain, but i'm not entirely sure what the best idea would be.

Good language skills, and fascism, are fortunately unrelated concepts.

I think that if you only have one eye, you should get a huge penalty in accuracy when using a crossbow or other missle weapon, at anything but short-to-point-blank range. That would be one small step towards nerfing the X-bow.
For they would be your masters.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »

you actually close one eye when using a crossbow or a bow, one eyedness only aplies when you have to calculate a distance, when you have to throw, for example.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:14:30 pm »

you actually close one eye when using a crossbow or a bow, one eyedness only aplies when you have to calculate a distance, when you have to throw, for example.

Closing one eye is a mistake. An "urban legend", really. You lose your depth-perception by doing so, which makes you significantly less accurate, even at short range. Not to mention, if you're out hunting a dangerous animal (And Man is the most dangerous animal), you've just eliminated half of your periferal vision, which can be really bad if the beasty isn't quite where you think it is.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

Closing one eye is a mistake. An "urban legend", really. You lose your depth-perception by doing so, which makes you significantly less accurate, even at short range.

your depth perception doest matter much if your trying to launch a missile in a straight line, actually binocular vision can get confusing when your trying to aim a bow, so yeah, closing an eye helps. For thrown objects you have to calculate the curve it will make and will have to throw it higher according to the target's distance. I have strabism, and although i have a great accuracy with bows and riffles, i suck at basketball

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:32:15 pm »

If it works for you, that's good, but I really wouldn't recommend it when hunting, or in a combat situation. Keeping both eyes open is the way I was taught to aim, and I've never found closing one eye to be helpful, personally, whether with a bow, a rifle, or even thrown knives or axes. 

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:06:40 pm »

Well, this goes for a lot of other things which donīt seem to have an effect now...
while completely lost limbs affect enemies, it is strange that "normal"  damages donīt seem to have any serious effect on them.

Goblins who have broken or even shattered bones in one or even both of their legs for example (I am not speaking  about broken toes, of course) shouldnīt be able to still walk/run  with their normal speed (as they obviously do now...remember some chases where  goblins successfully evaded a whole squad of my dwarves, despite broken/shattered bones in their legs).

Similar things one can say about broken arms and so on...