Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: armor sets  (Read 1622 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
armor sets
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:51:31 pm »

It would be nice if you had the option to make armor gloves boots pants ect. individually like you can now but also have an option for the entire set in one button.  so i can click chain armor set and it fills my que with the individual parts.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: armor sets
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:36 pm »

I'm really hoping, at some point, that ToadyOne will set up a sortof "3-d model" for armour, that would then allow you to assign pieces of armour, of any given size/shape, and hopefully include things like undergarments and layered armour.
For they would be your masters.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

That's not really relevant to what Detsuo is suggesting; he's talking about assigning creation of a full set of armor or clothing with a single selection.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:19 pm »

Oh you mean like you would click on "plate" and then it would automatically produce breastplate, greaves, gauntlets, helm, etc?

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:38:20 pm »

Perhaps we could be able to tell the manager to simply queue up the uniforms we've designated?  So, with just one command our economy would get to work on complete sets of clothes, armor, and weapons for our military.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:39:32 pm »

I think this is a really good idea. Sorry detsuo04, I wasn't quite getting what you were suggesting at first. But yeah, I'd use that all the time.

Infact, it would be nice if the "quewe" would give you the option to either only begin if you had enough materials for a full suit, or just keep building until it ran out of stuff.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:41:16 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:40:04 pm »

I'm really hoping, at some point, that ToadyOne will set up a sortof "3-d model" for armour, that would then allow you to assign pieces of armour, of any given size/shape, and hopefully include things like undergarments and layered armour.

The problem with this is that the model would have to be generated from scratch for the creature (difficult, since the game would need to know a lot about the size, shape, etc. of the parts, and be able to generate something good), and it might wind up being inconsistent with the rest of the user interface.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:36 pm »

I like this. It's a major interface simplificaton, but it doesn't remove any options.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:54 pm »

The problem with this is that the model would have to be generated from scratch for the creature (difficult, since the game would need to know a lot about the size, shape, etc. of the parts, and be able to generate something good), and it might wind up being inconsistent with the rest of the user interface.

I think you'd have to link it to the bodyplans, somehow.

Like how you set up creature templates in the Raws, to tell the game to put the fingers at the end of the hands, for instance. Basically, I kind of see it just being an extension of that, like a metal "skin", with a lot of individual "armour organs", which the computer would only recognise when the creature is wearing armour, or clothes, or whatever it wears.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:49:47 pm »

Yeah, but without a notion of shape and a better notion of relative location, you wind up with every body part being a sphere connected to the last one (which is also a sphere!), the head being in front of the torso if it feels like it, and so forth.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »

In terms of game mechanics, would that become a problem? I can see where it would on a wireframe model, but I'm not quite getting why it would be bad in the semi-abstracted model DF uses.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. I thought you were talking about a sort of 3D paper-doll kind of thing that you can view in order to assign armor/clothing graphically. Reading over it again, I guess you're not, and I was confused.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:42:09 pm »

That would be really nice, but it's a little more graphic than I tend to assume any idea in DF really should be. Even mentioning something like 1980's wireframe 3D tends to get me yelled at, so it's not really worth it to come up with systems that don't subscribe to the basic ASCII model.

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 02:08:15 am »

this got a great deal more attention then i thought it would for such a simple idea lol.  i dont think it would be a super great idea for the automation of smelting and gathering metals from this single command but i love the command to wait until you can produce so many before starting.  that way you get all full sets and no orphan pieces.  I also like the idea of a paper doll of sorts for assigning uniforms.  im still confused about the 3d thing your talking about however.

sorry for the bad grammar im typing in pitch blackness :P

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 03:11:01 am »

Well, the "3d idea" is basically that you could create a set of armour that would be as complex and realistic as you wanted it to be, by allowing the set to cover the entire body, with a series of pieces, which could be assigned separate names, sizes, shapes, materials, locations on the body, and even separate layers...in a simulation of a 3D "paper doll" (without actually/necessarily being a 3D image).

I'm guessing it could be done by mapping out the body with a series of points (like you might do with wireframing), and then assigning armour pieces to one or more of those points, with some pieces allowed to exist under others.

Alternately, you could create "bodies" of armour, which would only become active, as your dwarf etc. equipped each piece. For instance, putting on a helmet would cause a "skin" of steel to appear and surround the back, sides, and top of that dwarf's head. You could then break that helmet down into X amount of separate pieces (cheek guards, nose guard, mail coif, etc., and/or add a visor, neck guard, etc.), and do the same for each part of the body, until you get into some serious detail/micromanagement. 
Pages: [1] 2