Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing attributes?  (Read 4390 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing attributes?
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:33:22 pm »

So all my dwarves seem to be "quick to tire" "flimsy" "weak" etc.

If I give them jobs of a militarily related nature (for example individual training with axes) would they go from being "quick to tire" to "not tired as easily" or whatever the actual names are?

And if that isn't the case, is there any other way I can go about improving these?

From what I've read I know they CAN increase/decrease, but I have no idea how one would go about increasing them...decreasing seems rather obvious, and also pointless to do intentionally :\.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing attributes?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

Currently, it seems that only the military skills increase attributes.  It is not known if this is entirely intended or not, but the current best practice is to put everyone in a squad that does personal training.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:41:01 am »

Currently, it seems that only the military skills increase attributes.  It is not known if this is entirely intended or not, but the current best practice is to put everyone in a squad that does personal training.

Best practice if you want everyone in the military and not doing anything else.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:10 am »

This is a bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=803

Currently nobody has experimented with a no-rust-ever mod to the dwarves.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:25 am »

^ I'm actually doing one right now.

There should be a guide to this under cheating in the wiki.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:55:10 pm »

Best practice if you want everyone in the military and not doing anything else.

I haven't messed around with fortress mode and the new squads as much as some(I have one fort that is less than a year old, most of my time has been spent in adv mode) but it is my understanding that you could rotate squads between civ jobs, patrol, and training.  Is this not the case?

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:30:57 pm »

There is a bug that once a dwarf starts doing individual training for a little bit they will refuse to do anything not military related, even if removed fully from the military.

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:35:48 pm »

It's not quite what you're after, but the wiki cheating entry on "Tinkering with the Dwarven Soul" has some info on changing what the ranges of attributes translate to as well as how fast they're lost and gained.  Since non-military attribute gain seems to be non-existent, I edited my dwarfs to have no skill or attribute decay so I wouldn't end up with a fortress full of geriatrics.  I left the other values alone in an effort to play somewhat straight, but if I understand what I'm looking at you could theoretically just change the spread so even your weaker dwarves had a higher numerical value to that.  There was forum post a while ago with a step-by-step take more helpful than the wiki but I can't find it now.  My search-fu is weak.

Theoretically, if non-military attribute gain is working but too slowly to be detected, cranking the rate of gain up should show it, but I don't think that's the case.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 06:43:34 pm »

Non-military attributes do increase, but the opportunities are very rare, so it is only by really cranking up the improvement rate that you will ever get to see them change.  However, most mental skills have no chances to improve, so they never do.  Currently, the attributes that can be improved are as follows:

Strength
Endurance
Agility
Toughness (You need to get hurt.)
Recuperation
Disease_Resistance
Kinesthetic Sense
Spatial Sense

Everything else just happens so rarely, that even upping the rates won't help much.  Try leaving your dwarves around the Wagon for socializing, they may become better at it, but they won't get more empathic or socially aware.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 06:55:31 pm »

Someone made "workshops" that train certain attributes.  Like a gym or something for your haulers, when they aren't in use. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...